Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a new Chevy 3500 Duramax this past Saturday. I love it!

I never cease to be amazed at the way information is presented during deal-making with a dealer. Maybe I'm just slow, or maybe it's intentional that a buyer isn't given sufficient time to understand all of the options.

Specifically, I am talking about extended warranties. (Financing is something else to be talked about later.)

To make a long story short, an extended warranty was pressed pretty hard by the dealer's finance guy. We were pushed toward the First Extended Services Corporation warranty package. We were told that the First Extended package was superior to the GMPP package.

We agreed to the First Extended package only after being told that we had 60 days to cancel. I really resent being rushed into something, and I resent it even more when I find that the facts had been misrepresented.

I have a couple general questions. (I might start a couple of polls as separate threads; but, I'm hoping this one will help me understand anything I'm missing.)

1. Is an extended warranty really worth the money? (I have intentionally omitted the price I paid. I don't want to get off on a tangent discussing it specifically.)

2. Is GMPP any worse, or any better than other programs? Any bad experiences related to the Duramax?

3. Is First Extended better in any way than GMPP, or other programs? Bad experiences?

4. Are there other programs that should be considered?

I want to make sure I know as many facts as possible before making a decision about keeping First Extended, or cancelling. And if I cancel, I need to be decided on another program (or not).

Thanks for any information that can be shared.

Jeff

·
Registered
667 Posts
Check some "on-line" prices first - GM Protection Plan "Major Guard" pricing. Then see if your dealer will bargain. You will not pay sales tax if you do not reside in their state.
Dennis Fichtner at [email protected]
Gene Culley at [email protected]
Black Pontiac Cadillac's GMOutlet at [email protected]

Advice from Gene - The best time and most cost effective time to buy the warranty is right before 12 months or 12,000 miles. I would wait until then.

I am waiting until I have about 11 months on my truck.
If you change coverage watch out for a cancellation fee and a delay in the return of your money. If you financed your extended warranty then you will be "eating" the finance costs and you may not save any money in the long run if you switch.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
My experience with an extended warranty sucked. When I bought my 06 Cummins I also purchased an extended warranty thinking that it would be a good buy because this was the first diesel I ever bought from a damn dealership. Well needless to say my tranny blow up on me, so I thought that the "extended warranty" would cover it but guess what, it didn't. No programmer at all. All I had was exhaust which they said nothing about. The thing they said that voided my warranty was the "Banks High Ram Intake Manifold" which I thought was a bunch of bullshit. That damn thing is not making that much more power than a stock one. And that was the last thing I ever thought that would have voided my warranty but it did. And there is no reasoning with those damn warranty people that call you up with some bullshit reason like they gave. So in the end I had to have it rebuilt because at the time I didn't have the money to have built one put in. I will more than likely never buy an extended warranty again. My current truck (06 DMAX) don't have one. I made that very clear when I started signing those papers, that I didn't want one. The warranty companies will come up with anything to get out having to pay, so good luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Ther is a HUGE profit margin in those so-called warranties. They make them sound really good but if you read the weasel words carefully, they cover very little. I never fall for them, I just put that $2-3 grand in "the bank" for when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Muleskinner 06 and alley cat are right i fell for that bullshit once! Every time i had a problem and needed warrenty work either it was not covered or it was lets make a deal you wind up using some jap parts and we will pay only so much for labor never again put that money aside in a savings account and you will have it for something to add to your truck later. Dealers make a ton of money on this stuff.My friend sells cars says boss really gets on salesmans ass if he dosn't sell this junk ins. These trucks don't have to many problems to worry about just normal mantinance and your OK. Never believe a car salesman because they will try to sell you anything that makes them more comission.Also if it's a 2011 don't the have a 100,000 mile warrenty?

·
Registered
326 Posts
extended warranties are like said usually a joke. I've seen it all from not paying diag charges, to having a deductible per repair item, to not paying tax or other fees, only paying a certain amount of labor, not covering fluids and gaskets and the list goes on. I've got a blown up 07 5.9L cummins in the shop right now the customer is having trouble getting his warranty company to cover. Apparently not putting enough miles on your truck is reason for claim denial too with this company.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your input.

rvjabo is right... 100,000 mile powertrain warranty from GM. The extended warranty had absolutely no exposure to liability.

I cancelled the extended warranty today. I'm sure the dealer wasn't too happy. Had all of the information been presented in advance of our trip to the dealership to take delivery, it never would have been an option.

I guess we live and learn.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have to agree with the above. Here is what I just did and my short story. I bought this truck I think september of last year from my local Ford dealer, yes you heard that right. They pushed the extended warranty and since I was trading in my 04 F-350 6.0 I know how much it costs to fix things (spent about 5500 cash in the 5 months before trading it in to fix stuff). Needless to say I didn't want to have to shell out that again so I bought the extended warranty at a cost of about 2500 bucks. I had a few problems with the Chevy but it was all covered under the "normal" warranty of 3 / 36 and they got it right after a few trips to the dealer. Remember, the extended warranty wont cover anything that is already covered under the original manufacturers warranty which it was. Anyway, about a month ago I decided the heck with it and cancelled the extended warranty and will be getting a refund. Not for the whole amount mind you but at least I am getting something back. From what I have seen these trucks are pretty darn reliable so I feel comfortable with my decision. If you bought it the sooner you cancel it the more money you will get back..... Good luck!

Steve

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I got a really good extended warranty with my truck. Its pretty much specifically for diesels. It has towing, car rental coverage, roadside assistance, the works. It was through Old Republic Insured Auto Services and was 4yr/48k. I made a few claims and everything was handled properly with no issues. I'm bummed because it just expired so now something major will inevitably happen.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I got a really good extended warranty with my truck. Its pretty much specifically for diesels. It has towing, car rental coverage, roadside assistance, the works. It was through Old Republic Insured Auto Services and was 4yr/48k. I made a few claims and everything was handled properly with no issues. I'm bummed because it just expired so now something major will inevitably happen.
Atleast someone got a good warranty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had it both ways, I bought an ext warranty when I bought a new truck and never used it, ran up the miles a year before the time was out, waste of money. However I did by one for my dmax when I bought it used from a dealer with 73xxx miles on it. AUL, 3yr/36k miles. I wish I had asked more questions when the finance guy was pushing me to buy it because it didn't cover everything that I thought it was going to cover, but the dealer guy said it was the best one to get.(Right). Luckily the company (AUL) is very good, when the 4wd encoder motor went out they cover the part and I paid the labor, it was not a covered part but I called and asked for assistance and they helped me out to the tune of $850 for the part. Everything else has been covered, water pump($1400) 8 injectors($4400). So all in all I think that it has paid for itself and I'm still in contract. **crosses fingers**

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.