Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New wheel/tire setup or dp, egr delete, sliders and trans cooler?

• Wheels/Tires , your current setup looks like poop..

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Fun stuff, dp, egr delete, cooler etc....

Votes: 17 63.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A WHEEL/TIRE HOW WILL THIS OFFSET WORK/LOOK/BLAH BLAH BLAH THREAD Heyyaa

Alright gents, here's the deal. I'm tdy right now so i'm saving up a nice little chunk of money and am fully planning on throwing a percentage of it towards the rig when i get home in a few weeks. (just don't tell the gf :rolleyes:)

So here's my thoughts, I'm lowering the truck back down to around 5" when I get back, and need to buy new tires before winter. When i threw the lift on I picked up a set of cragar soft 8's for cheap just to use as a temporary solution since I scored 35's for 50 bucks. However 16's are still cheap.. I despise the cragars, but i don't know if its just me from having had them so long now..

Here's the dilemma, I found a set of wheels that I like for a relatively decent price, with a much better sizing than what i'm running now. They're 17x10's w/ -24 and 4.5bs, whereas my current setup is 16x8 +0 4.5bs. Obviously a nicer stance. I've found a set of h2 tires for bones cheap back home, so that isn't an issue. HOWEVER, the wheels would be a nice chunk out of my going percentage going towards "play" with the truck (after my already purchased parts, mx issues that need attending).

My other option would be to go ahead and throw a larger trans cooler, downpipe, egr delete and rock sliders/steps at her instead..

ANYWAYS, what do y'all think? :drink

CLIFF NOTES: Lowering truck to around 5". New wheels and tires to jazz things up a bit? Or use that money for larger trans cooler, down pipe, egr delete and rock sliders/steps?

current setup

wheels in question, 17x10 w/ 315/70/17s

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
wheels and tires look good. I would spend the $$$$ on a liftpump or a back bumper. It changes the look ALOT

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nay on the wheels. I'm a firm believer in not being limited on wheels as far as price. I treat them like a do boots (nice boots not my work ones), buy what you want no matter the price because they are more then likely going to last you a pretty good while as long as you take care of them. Go for performance.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Truck looks good as is, minus that red bowtie, I would go liftpump and downpipe for sure.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't know why I hadn't really even thought of throwing an airdog in to the equation..
i was leaning performance as well, however you never can tell how biased/unbiased you are towards your own ride sometimes.

haha yeah the red bow tie was a "well, its a saturday afternoon of drinking beer and working in the garage, everything else is done, what can i do to the truck" type of deal. Didn't turn out so hot, but I left two days later lol.

thanks for the input fellas

·
Registered
897 Posts
Listen to me, I am your voice of reason. AirDog II DF-165 is calling your name. Besides EFILive, its the best single mod I have done.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if not my voice of reason we're at least brothers from another mother haha :drink
The 165 is the only way to go as far as lift pumps in my opinion as well. I'll have to take a closer gander at them

·
Registered
897 Posts
Someone on here was selling one used for a steal, might want to look for it. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell yeah, thanks for the lookout man! Looks like i'm keeping the 16s for a while longer haha

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
truck looks badass man get some go fast goodies

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I personally am not a fan of your current wheels/tires, and really like the new wheels your looking at. Then again you can't go wrong with performance mods either. My vote goes for dump the girlfriend, then you don't have to worry about not telling her and you'll probably have the money to do both. :drink

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My vote goes for dump the girlfriend, then you don't have to worry about not telling her and you'll probably have the money to do both. :drink
haha well i would, however she's pretty much the shizznit. Doesn't control my money, but I promised her I'd add to my sleeve when she goes in to get some more work done on her side.. So more than worth it IMHO :cool:

I've been thinking on it a lot lately since I have nothing but time to think about the rig since i can't wrench on it currently.

I think it's going to come down to whether or not i can find a good deal on 16" tires again. I'm not going to spend 500 bucks on a new set of tires for this setup when I can sell the current wheels, buy a set of h2 wheels/tires for around 500, sell the h2 wheels for 250-300 and then buy these wheels for a much more improved stance. I'm not so sure how I feel about the lip on them, but I know a guy that does powder coating so I figure worst case I'll prep them and get them all blacked out, which would be my preference anyways. So basically, I could either buy new wheels with about a $200 difference when its all said and done (after selling off other items) or keep my current ones lol
I've got nothing but time for the performance modifications I feel. I can't jump all over that lift pump thats for sale cause verizon decided to jack up my new iPhone, causing me to buy two and two plans then cancel one off and the money is being transferred for at least another week since they're so cool... SUPER happy about that situation :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If your looking for steps I'm going to be listing AMP steps in the for sale section soon. Could save a couple bucks on 3 month old used steps.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha nah man, appreciate the heads up, but i only like the amps on the nbs trucks.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
What happened to the idea of 37s? Was hoping to see the truck a little taller and more proportional ;)

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Sell it all and build the trans

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What happened to the idea of 37s? Was hoping to see the truck a little taller and more proportional ;)
Believe me, i was/am too.. I just finally had a sit down with myself and decided where I wanted to go with the truck. I am more than high enough for the 37's with the leveling kit added, but I'm not happy with my cv angles since I beat on the truck in the mud quite often and don't feel like breaking anything lol. For pure street look/rig they would be just fine though. At least I can give other guys some decent insight on lift options now haha.

So I'm not going to get rid of the lift either, just lower it substantially. The reason why I "chose" those wheels is that I've never seen anyone run them before, and I hate doing things that other people always do. Nothing wrong with those setups, and they look damn good usually, just not my style. I gotta be different lol (which is hard having a silver birch :rolleyes: )I have another few weeks before I have to make a decision, so we'll see what happens I guess...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts