Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice needed on replacing the H11, 9005, and PSX26W fog lamp on my 4500. Looking for which brands are good ones and ones to stay away from. Price isn't a concern-longivity and light output are.
Alla seems to be the only USA manufactured units but open to any.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Morimoto are good!
Cougar Motor are decent

Go to www.retrofitsource.com

FYI: Retrofit website, has HID conversion(s), for HIGH, LOW, and even fog lamps

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went with the SeaLight brand on amazon...super bright and didn’t break the bank. Been great no issues so far. The highs fit and I was able to close the dust cap

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Advice needed on replacing the H11, 9005, and PSX26W fog lamp on my 4500. Looking for which brands are good ones and ones to stay away from. Price isn't a concern-longivity and light output are.
Alla seems to be the only USA manufactured units but open to any.
The retrofit source is a great place for lighting and they have good support. I have also had good luck with LED bulbs from amazon in the 30-40$ range. Find one with thousands of reviews and youll be fine. Ive run these amazon bulbs for a couple years now in my old truck and they were still working fine when it got traded in (highs, lows, fogs, turns, DRL, all amazon LED's).

LED's are a lot more robust then people like to think, as long as your no buying garbage, most of the LED stuff out there will work for a very long time with good output, even if its cheep Chinese stuff. The technology is very simple, so it can be made well even at a low price point.

·
Registered
774 Posts
OPT7 for LED lighting. You will not be disappointed I can promise you that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whatever you do, buy a purpose-built headlight assembly (morimoto, etc) versus a LED bulb assembly. I’m not sure what vintage truck you have but if it doesn’t have projectors or LED from the factory, installing LED bulb assemblies are outright dangerous. They blind the hell out of oncoming traffic. The factory headlights are specially designed for halogen bulb assemblies and NOT the LED light dispersal. It’s illegal too (headlight assembly is no longer in DOT compliance) but I have yet to hear about enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. Truck is a 2019 4500HD.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I went with Heartland led for headlights
diode dynamics for fogs
and many many superbrightlites for back up lites and cargo ..
superbright lights on my trailers also always had good luck

·
Registered
376 Posts
Check out Headlight Revolution videos where they test bulbs in actual headlight housings. The biggest issue with LED bulbs is the cheap Chinese knockoffs that put out horrible beam patterns. The quality more expensive bulbs have beam patterns that match factory but are much brighter.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Whatever you do, buy a purpose-built headlight assembly (morimoto, etc) versus a LED bulb assembly. I’m not sure what vintage truck you have but if it doesn’t have projectors or LED from the factory, installing LED bulb assemblies are outright dangerous. They blind the hell out of oncoming traffic. The factory headlights are specially designed for halogen bulb assemblies and NOT the LED light dispersal. It’s illegal too (headlight assembly is no longer in DOT compliance) but I have yet to hear about enforcement.

The danger comes from using a bulb with a non OEM focal point. If the light source is at the same position in the housing as the factory bulb then the reflector housing will work as designed by the manufacture with higher light output. It is when you put a bulb with a shorter or longer focal point in the housing that light begins to go places it was not intended to because it is hitting different parts of the reflector at different angles then designed.

so something like this (assuming they got the focal distance right) would be safe to use since the LED cobs are close together so the light comes from a single source and will scatter less.

where as something like this is likely to run people off the road. In this case the focal point is basically the entire bulb, so there is no singular point for the light to come from and you will get light rays coming off it at all angles from all positions. This is when you get scatter.

This is basically what the cross section of a headlight looks like with the lines put in to show the path of light from the focal point. Were you to move that focal point the light would begin to leave the housing at angles that are less parallel to the road.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Those first bulbs look like Supernova V.4 and those tested very well. On Headlight Revolution YouTube page they show those bulbs in headlight housings and the beam pattern was very good. I am thinking about putting them in my 2003 GMC.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Diode Dynamics is easily one of the best in the business when it comes to automotive LEDs. As far as I know they are the only company that makes an LED specifically designed for reflector housings by maintaining the same focal point as the factory incandescent bulb. That is the only LED I would recommend for use in a reflector housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those first bulbs look like Supernova V.4 and those tested very well. On Headlight Revolution YouTube page they show those bulbs in headlight housings and the beam pattern was very good. I am thinking about putting them in my 2003 GMC.
I agree and highly recommend checking out Headlight Revolution before buying any bulbs. I just put the S-V.4 in my 2005. Beam pattern is spot on, output is excellent, color is crisp and clean. I did have to cut and notch the headlight support to clear the heat sinks.

I had the Opt7 in there for both low and high. Low beam gave out after only 14 months (fan still worked but had the epileptic light show going on)...never touching them again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Diode Dynamics is easily one of the best in the business when it comes to automotive LEDs. As far as I know they are the only company that makes an LED specifically designed for reflector housings by maintaining the same focal point as the factory incandescent bulb. That is the only LED I would recommend for use in a reflector housing.
They are still not legal to use. Get a real jerk LEO and you can get towed worst case. No different than using non DOT approved tires.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree and highly recommend checking out Headlight Revolution before buying any bulbs. I just put the S-V.4 in my 2005. Beam pattern is spot on, output is excellent, color is crisp and clean. I did have to cut and notch the headlight support to clear the heat sinks.

I had the Opt7 in there for both low and high. Low beam gave out after only 14 months (fan still worked but had the epileptic light show going on)...never touching them again.
That is good to hear about the V.4 bulbs. Do you think the videos and testing done by Headlight Revolution give an accurate representation of how the bulbs perform ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some departments have purpose built inspection equipment that determines angle and output. It’s not just the LED folks either, it’s the HIR and HID folks too that slap these aftermarket lights into legacy headlight assemblies. The Morimoto projectors aren’t that expensive BUT the labor seems ridiculous to convert an assembly.

New DOT approved assemblies must be quite expensive. LED plow lights from boss are $700 a pair!!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Diode Dynamics tested very well and I would say they are a top 5 bulb. You should check out these new Ultra Series 2 bulbs from GTR Lighting which I think might be the best LED on the market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is good to hear about the V.4 bulbs. Do you think the videos and testing done by Headlight Revolution give an accurate representation of how the bulbs perform ?
I do think they are representing the bulbs for what they are, good or bad. If they are comparing as described in the videos (using the same housing, power source, distance measured for lux, etc.) and just changing out bulbs to find the differences, then yes. They do mention that not all the bulbs work the same in different headlight housings.

On a side note for being legal, even if something is stamped "DOT" it is up to the LEO to make the call. In PA you can technically fail a safety inspection for any equipment in your vehicle that was not installed by the manufacturer, except in-kind items. Most will just let it slide unless it is a major infraction, such as 4" of tread sticking out past the fenders.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts