Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Premium Member
I went with JDMs on advice and love them. high\low and fogs.

Fairly priced, great white light with no adapters.

Reactions: Sierraluva

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Sorry for the rant.
Yep, hot spot up close and you're eyes get lazy and don't focus out just beyond the fade as before, where you'd have enough time to react before you hit something.

Also, Halogens lumens output dwindles with age. Replace with new cheapo plain janes and you'll see the same dramatic results in a brighter view without spending extra on the Blue this or Silver that new and improved.

Registered
Diode Dynamics tested very well and I would say they are a top 5 bulb. You should check out these new Ultra Series 2 bulbs from GTR Lighting which I think might be the best LED on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO8Nuj6tPy4
I wasn鈥檛 happy with the useable light output from the cheap Sealight bulbs I bought, so I ordered a set of these new GTR Ultra 2鈥檚. They鈥檒l be here tomorrow, I鈥檒l let you guys know my thoughts after install.

Registered
I wasn鈥檛 happy with the useable light output from the cheap Sealight bulbs I bought, so I ordered a set of these new GTR Ultra 2鈥檚. They鈥檒l be here tomorrow, I鈥檒l let you guys know my thoughts after install.
I am very interested to hear if they live up to the test results in the real world.

Registered
I just don't get people wanting extreme bright LED lamps. (Just keep feeding the Chinese Army) The factory lamps in vehicles today r many x as bright of vehicles of 20+ years ago and they worked just fine. And then a lot of owners jack their truck up with lift kits,oversize wheel and tires and blind every other driver while not even considering to have headlamps readjusted to comply with highway safety or courtesy towards other drivers. R U people all going blind and think u need a airport runway lighting to see? And the other stupid part also is that u don't light up that much further down the highway to justify anything. Unless u enjoy other drivers squinting or flashing brights back at ya. Sorry for the rant.
Well the lights I have in Moby are Made in USA and do not blind people. The low beams light up farther down the road than the factory high beam halogens without blinding. I drive on what most people would consider remote roads for 100's of miles dodging black cows, deer, elk, bison, moose, lion, tigers, bears, possibly even people taking a nap on the white line, plus a whole host of other objects. Having that extreme bright LED (high beam) light that is properly aligned has been very helpful to me. Unfortunately the mass majority of people choose to buy bulbs with poor optics and not aim them properly. Maybe we should just ban headlights all together ?

Premium Member
I have used JDM A-Star led bulbs with great success. Especially when even the high end halogens burn out every 6 months. I get the leds on amazon. Spend somewhere around the 60$ mark and the quality is good stuff.

Premium Member
Sorry for the rant.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason I use the brightest bulb I can find is mainly safety. I dont try to blind anyone. I live in a rural area, with National forest always in my travels. I've hit many deer, one elk, dodged a few Bears as well as moo cows (Open Range). To top this off I ride a motorcycle at times which I try not to ride after dark due to animals. My Bike has a extremely bright bulb almost able to see into the other dimension, got those stupid deer alerts too. If I can get any extra reaction time over stock equipment its a win win for me.
I do buy the bulbs in which are adjustable and spend a little time getting them adjusted. The brightest light I have ever seen is a train headlight. Have a buddy that uses one as a High beam on a springer, he had to upgrade his charging system just to run the dang thing. I must say when its on you can see forever.

As quality goes JDM's are top of the line in my book.

Registered
In this particular test the JDM bulbs did not make the top 10. They do not appear to be a bad bulb but there are better choices available from a variety of brands.

Premium Member
That sheds some light on things,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Registered
Love threads and the poor people who like to post "I do not blind people". There is a reason that when you use these brighter bulbs they are not legal. I doubt anyone who sees this even has read the actual requirements of what even goes into the process of being DOT compliant or even cares for that matter.

The highways are full of goobers who "do not like to blind people" but do every time they are on the road LOL!

I have read 搂 571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment and additionally the FMSS guidance/requirements. I used to run brighter bulbs and was pulled over years ago by a Texas Trooper on a rural highway.

It is not by any stretch of the imagination the "bulbs" it is the whole assembly that the light output emanates from!

Registered
Love threads and the poor people who like to post "I do not blind people". There is a reason that when you use these brighter bulbs they are not legal. I doubt anyone who sees this even has read the actual requirements of what even goes into the process of being DOT compliant or even cares for that matter.

The highways are full of goobers who "do not like to blind people" but do every time they are on the road LOL!

I have read 搂 571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment and additionally the FMSS guidance/requirements. I used to run brighter bulbs and was pulled over years ago by a Texas Trooper on a rural highway.

It is not by any stretch of the imagination the "bulbs" it is the whole assembly that the light output emanates from!
A properly aimed low beam with proper optics will not blind people. My lights are in fact DOT legal and exceed FMVSS 108 standard in at least 3 criteria making them 5 star NCAP compliant.

People drive around with OEM lights on high beam blinding people. People adjust OEM headlights that in turn blind people on low beam. People buy cheap bulbs with poor optics that blind people.

Registered
A properly aimed low beam with proper optics will not blind people. My lights are in fact DOT legal and exceed FMVSS 108 standard in at least 3 criteria making them 5 star NCAP compliant.

People drive around with OEM lights on high beam blinding people. People adjust OEM headlights that in turn blind people on low beam. People buy cheap bulbs with poor optics that blind people.
If you say so. :) Everybody is a internet expert. This pretty much makes my point.

Registered
If you say so. :) Everybody is a internet expert. This pretty much makes my point LOL!
You should try and do a little research sometime and you might learn something. I will make sure first thing Monday morning to call JW Speaker to inform them that internet expert in headlights Busa Dave says they are wrong. Thank you so much for bringing your clown act to this thread as it has been so helpful.

Registered
You should try and do a little research sometime and you might learn something. I will make sure first thing Monday morning to call JW Speaker to inform them that internet expert in headlights Busa Dave says they are wrong. Thank you so much for bringing your clown act to this thread as it has been so helpful.
I have used JW Speaker lights in a Jeep. They were marked DOT Compliant ended up replacing them with a Hella HID system because of the flicker even with the resistor installed. Any other point you want to make circus master?

From the JW Speaker Website:"

Q: What鈥檚 the difference between DOT and ECE?

A: These are driving regulations based on your location. Most countries around the world have adopted one set of standards or the other, and for headlights to be street legal they must meet and be marked with the regulations adopted by that country.
DOT regulations are created by the United States Department of Transportation, for use in the U.S. & Canada. Meeting DOT lighting standards guarantees your lights are federally compliant in the United States for visibility, durability, and reliability to secure the safety of others"

FROM THE LIGHT I HAD IN MY JEEP:

"Street legal supporting DOT standards:
DOT versions are for use in the U.S. DOT-compliant guarantees that your lights are legal on the road, meeting section 108 requirements of the United States Federal Motor Safety Standards. Your DOT-compliance is clearly etched on the lens of the light."

Registered
I have used JW Speaker lights in a Jeep. They were marked DOT Compliant ended up replacing them with a Hella HID system because of the flicker even with the resistor installed. Any other point you want to make circus master?

From the JW Speaker Website:"

Q: What鈥檚 the difference between DOT and ECE?

A: These are driving regulations based on your location. Most countries around the world have adopted one set of standards or the other, and for headlights to be street legal they must meet and be marked with the regulations adopted by that country.
DOT regulations are created by the United States Department of Transportation, for use in the U.S. & Canada. Meeting DOT lighting standards guarantees your lights are federally compliant in the United States for visibility, durability, and reliability to secure the safety of others"

FROM THE LIGHT I HAD IN MY JEEP:

"Street legal supporting DOT standards:
DOT versions are for use in the U.S. DOT-compliant guarantees that your lights are legal on the road, meeting section 108 requirements of the United States Federal Motor Safety Standards. Your DOT-compliance is clearly etched on the lens of the light."
Haha so earlier you went off half cocked not knowing what light I was using and assumed I was running a non DOT compliant blinding light. Now you post info that I have known and used for years to make an informed decision on what light to buy. Before doing this research I used everything from OEM to non DOT compliant blinding junk. I am by no means a headlight expert but have wasted a stupid amount time doing research to become informed on them. Maybe next time ask first what light I was running instead of acting like a know it all. Chances are very good that are more things we agree on regarding this subject than we do not.

Registered
Haha so earlier you went off half cocked not knowing what light I was using and assumed I was running a non DOT compliant blinding light. Now you post info that I have known and used for years to make an informed decision on what light to buy. Before doing this research I used everything from OEM to non DOT compliant blinding junk. I am by no means a headlight expert but have wasted a stupid amount time doing research to become informed on them. Maybe next time ask first what light I was running instead of acting like a know it all. Chances are very good that are more things we agree on regarding this subject than we do not.
Well to be specific and not to knock you off your horse here BUT I was not referring to YOU specifically. It is people in general who do this. :) I am done and my point is made. It is not just a bulb but a system that has to be DOT. The bulb is part of it. If you run a DOT system then you are compliant. I get flashed every once in a while and mine are factory LED on my 2020. Only have one other vehicle that is LED the others are HID.

Registered
Well to be specific and not to knock you off your horse here BUT I was not referring to YOU specifically. It is people in general who do this. :) I am done and my point is made. It is not just a bulb but a system that has to be DOT. The bulb is part of it. If you run a DOT system then you are compliant. I get flashed every once in a while and mine are factory LED on my 2020. Only have one other vehicle that is LED the others are HID.
So, you are ok with blinding other drivers (reason you get high beamed) as long as they are 'DOT' compliant?

I got high beamed all the time in my 2012. Never touched the lights, nor the suspension, factory everything as how I bought it. Added bigger tires, little less high beam. Added Ranch Hand bumper, barely any high beam. Can't see for shit, get blinded by others all the time. Im in the process of having to replace housings (requires removal of Ranch Hand) and am throwing in LED bulbs for high and low as well as brand new turn signal bulbs so I don't have to pull my heavy ass bumper off again for another fried wiring harness.

This has taught me that the aiming of the lights, and the correct bulb design, equals how 'blinding' my lights are to others. Blue absolutely kills my eyes, even the newer factory crap (2019-2020 chevy trucks are some of the worst in light color and scatter in my experience), but thats ok? Screw it, Ill evaluate and make my own decisions, and if these bulbs do better Ill leave em in. From everything I have seen, the products I purchased are way better at eliminating what I have found to be the blinding factor of my headlights.

Now lets talk about assholes that like to run high beams behind you at night...

Registered
For those interested I went with the S-V.4 and GTR CSP mini, both due to cutoff and identical pattern. I will pull them and swap to factory if they prove to be less than desirable for other drivers as I am highly sensitive to light at night, but the low draw beats halogen burning up harnesses so Im giving these a shot.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

Registered
For those interested I went with the S-V.4 and GTR CSP mini, both due to cutoff and identical pattern. I will pull them and swap to factory if they prove to be less than desirable for other drivers as I am highly sensitive to light at night, but the low draw beats halogen burning up harnesses so Im giving these a shot.
Please report back as I am interested if they work in the real world as good as they look in testing.

Registered
Please report back as I am interested if they work in the real world as good as they look in testing.
Absolutely. Won't have before pics due to fried wiring harness and tearing the truck apart, but I can snap some after and give feedback.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties
41 - 60 of 71 Posts