Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
  1. Just something else to separate you from your money
Led bulbs? Maybe. Then again, if it saves me from pulling my bumper to replace a fried wiring harness, or having to constantly have headlights burn out over the next 50,000 hours, I think its well worth my investment. To each their own. I already know where some folks here that I appreciate stand, and it is a place of ignorance rather than research or even mild perusal of information provided.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Got my lights in finally, installed tonight, bumper to go on tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was pleased while aiming. Will find out how it does real life when I drive to work tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, after aiming the headlights I needed to adjust again, and so far, I am impressed. I might adjust again, but I think they are about right. I can see further with just low beams, and my high beams shine for easily 1/4 mile or more. So far I am very happy I bought from Headlight Revolution, even if it took a long time to ship.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Registered
124 Posts
a little late to the party, but i've had good success with BeamTech LEDs. their H13, 9005, and 880 have all measured at the same focal length as the halogens they replaced & have good consistent brightness/patterns. output was comparable to a 35W HID.

i prefer the solid heat-sink fin designs over the ones with fans... less to break or go wrong.
and finally, i ain't sure how they fit in newer models, but my GMT800 would require a little hole saw action to the mounting brackets to fit the heat sinks. the hummer H3, however, fit with all the room to spare.

and +1 to below.
The danger comes from using a bulb with a non OEM focal point. If the light source is at the same position in the housing as the factory bulb then the reflector housing will work as designed by the manufacture with higher light output. It is when you put a bulb with a shorter or longer focal point in the housing that light begins to go places it was not intended to because it is hitting different parts of the reflector at different angles then designed.

so something like this (assuming they got the focal distance right) would be safe to use since the LED cobs are close together so the light comes from a single source and will scatter less.
where as something like this is likely to run people off the road. In this case the focal point is basically the entire bulb, so there is no singular point for the light to come from and you will get light rays coming off it at all angles from all positions. This is when you get scatter.
This is basically what the cross section of a headlight looks like with the lines put in to show the path of light from the focal point. Were you to move that focal point the light would begin to leave the housing at angles that are less parallel to the road.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It looks really nice, I am sure that it will look nice at night.
Btw, which aftermarket bumper are you planning to install?
I already had a ranch hand on it, had to pull it to get the headlight housings out. I put the ranch hand back on when I was done

61 - 71 of 71 Posts