Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Its also been proven that this belt can go upwards of 200-250K miles or more, and there has also been talk about even extending its service life to 200K officially. 80% of owners don't even keep a vehicle that long. A complete non issue in ownership. This is all you see in negative discussions about this engine on most any forum. I'll take this potential "Issue" over bad lifters and bent pushrods any day...

Anything new that goes against the conventional method will bring in a ton of experts. When I was in my teens, they came out with multi-viscosity motor oil. My dad had a service station and repair shop, and he saw the potential of a thin oil vs. 30 weight DELO. Everything improved vs. using molasses oil, but the argument went on for years and further into using that "terrible" synthetic oil.

Looking at the other eco motor's internal specs, the LM2 has better engineering specs for power and mileage. The lower 15 to 1 LM2 compression ratio is better suited for volumetric efficiency. The higher boost pressure combined with better flow characteristics in the LM2 vs the other two small eco motors brings the tremendous low-end torque we see.

I bought my LM2 last March and absolutely love it. I religiously get 28 to 30 miles per gallon. Just for fun I drove to work one day with the cruise set at 65 mph (a 35 mile trip, all highway) and I averaged 37.3 miles per gallon with 1500 pounds of tools in the bed!!!
The only mechanical issue I had was last winter my DEF fluid tank froze (The dealer said this was very common).
Clock Gadget Personal luxury car Font Display device

I absolutely love this truck but I do not tow very much at all so I have zero input on that.

Ftfire7, I think you’re dealer may have given you some misinformation about your def tank freezing. As far as I know it’s not common. The tank should be heated for that reason. When you shut off your engine the system purges the lines back into the tank so that it doesn’t freeze in them. My truck has been in two below freezing winters and never had an issue. Ive also ran many pieces of heavy equipment that require def in the cold winters and never had that happen either.

Ftfire7, I think you’re dealer may have given you some misinformation about your def tank freezing. As far as I know it’s not common. The tank should be heated for that reason. When you shut off your engine the system purges the lines back into the tank so that it doesn’t freeze in them. My truck has been in two below freezing winters and never had an issue. Ive also ran many pieces of heavy equipment that require def in the cold winters and never had that happen either.
The tank will freeze, it has a heater in it that once you start the engine the def heater starts to melt the def, def will freeze at 12* I believe. So every night it’s under 12* the def in your tank is freezing, its designed to handle this.

If the heater fails then no def in winter.

I have a 2021 3.0 w/ 4K miles. Great truck - mid-20s MPG - but not as comfortable as my 2019 2500.

Has had a series of computer blips that come and go: restraint failure, displays lock-up, trailer system warning, system dead incl power locks after shut-off, engine spins but won't fire, ....

All have been cured by holding the start button in but I'm waiting for a serious computer failure.

I’m in your boat. I’ve got a gmc at4 being delivered any day now. Just started reading the oil leak thread and bn that and the no start I was wondering if I’m making a mistake. Currently I have a Ford 3.5L ecoboost. I just like the look of the gmc and the mileage of the diesel is insane. All these positive remarks make me feel a lot better.

The tank will freeze, it has a heater in it that once you start the engine the def heater starts to melt the def, def will freeze at 12* I believe. So every night it’s under 12* the def in your tank is freezing, its designed to handle this.

Also these vehicles went thru hours and days of subzero testing for qualification. This issue was definitely addressed. My previous Diesel vehicle sat at an Airport in Jan 2 years ago, for 7 days with -10 -15 degree nights. We landed at midnight and drove it home 150 miles. Not one issue with DEF or Diesel Gelling if you properly prepare and care for them...

I am really considering on going to this truck platform with the 3.0. I am wanting to hear feedback on weather or not you consider this truck a good purchase or a regret? I understand that not everyone's experiences are the same. I currently own a new 3/4 ton gas truck that performs great but gas consumption is 13mpg unloaded. Just wanting some real world feedback in order to weigh things out. Thanks in advance.
My 2021 Sierra Denali 3.0 has been at dealership service department 7 weeks out of first 4 months, still unfixed. A truck is only as good as the techs who work on it and available repair parts. This truck is a piece of garbage.

12F is the magic temperature.

Naturally, all diesel engine manufacturers know that and plan or it.

This is the 10th model year def has been in use in GM production diesels.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.