Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the hypertech and the Edge. Not impressed with hypertech at all. And I'm not sure about the Edge with attitude yet. Just wanting some oppinions on some others for the 2004.5 LLY. Banks, Bully dog, etc.? How do others perform and what makes them better or worse?

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Actually I heard that the Edge Juice with attitude was one of the better ones to use. Diablo Predator is supposed to be pretty good as well. I haven't heard very much good about banks. You could always go with EFI Live and control and make your own tunes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi all my friends have banks systems on there truck some have dodge and chevrolet. they love the performance and the reliability with the safe gaurds it provides like thermo coupler for egts and tranny safteys if it feels slippage it will go back to stock and if egt's are to high it will shut down the power. when i get up the money im going banks. there the only ones out there thats been arround the block for many years well theres my 2 cents

duramaxxed

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Edge does the same thing and has digital guages without having to buy the PDA also. Either way, you can't really go wrong with either, I was just stating that with the GMs Edge is supposed to be one of the better ones and that is what a lot of people use. I already had a TST powermax on mine when I bought the truck, so I just stuck with it. (For LB7 only right now)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Banks sucks, the Edge is cheaper & makes more power, it will run circles around any Banks truck. JMHO

·
Banned
40 Posts
I wouldnt say any of them suck...they all have there place. If your a guy looking to get a few more ponies while towing your camper. I would have to say Banks is just fine for someone like that. With all the safe gaurds they have incorporated in the system, It really makes it a set it and forget it power device. Edge can be a little harsh on EGT's and Predators can be tuff on trans, from what we have been told by some customers of ours. Then again its the squeeky wheel that is heard more often. I just installed a Edge Juice and A2 yesterday in a 2004 Cummins for a customer and he is going to need plastic surgery to remove his smile. I run a custom burn SCT Xcal2 on my 05 F350, and it runs real good. They should be ready to put out the Xcal 2 for the Dmax's any week now. I cant think of a module or tuner we dont sell, and you get both sides of the isle on all of them. Some love what they got, and some love to hate what they got. We just started selling the PPE tuners and they are very Duramax minded. That may be a consideration for you as well. I havent heard anything bad about them YET! Also we just got the Quadzilla Stealth and everyone seems real pleased with those also. I know the LBZ guys really like the BullyDog Powerpup over the Superchips Flashpaq. I would say keep reading, this really is not an easy decision, so be educated in your choice. There is alot of potential in the Dmax. We always recommend gauges or some kind of monitoring device.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2cents

I ran a Quadzilla for a while and then went to the EdgeJuice with Attitude. I could definately notice a difference with the edge. Plus I had the advantage of gauges to keep an eye on. I just sold the truck and took the Edge off before taking the truck to the buyer. After you have a tuner you won't be able to drive a stock truck anymore.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
For the lly the PPE has the most refined product out there, the edge is a good all in one package but with the ally the abillity to change power levels is almost useless because of the trans relearn everytime, the predator makes good power and adds some boost on newer versions but has a lot of timing rattle and a fair amount of smoke also, as far as bullydog, hypertech, superchips, they all come off of the same shelf as the tornado!!!!!!!!!!and banks well.......:toilet

In my oppion i recomend the predator for the best bang for the buck and the added boost will keep things(egts) a little cooler and you can run up to 90 hp without gauges, and thats all the more the stock ally will hold anyhow with out limping!!!!

Later
CB

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have been doing some looking on the internet and the ppe hot+2 xcelerator offers the highest horse power gains. have any of you tried this programmer or have any info on these programmers.

·
3,163 Posts
I've run this programer for a while befor i got efi live and yes it is the most powerful and is very smooth power but u must have a built trans,and a pyrometer, and i also recomend some sort of boost increaser and to run the higher settings on the programer you dont need but should get lift pump and a ppe fuel valve shim kit to keep the truck for limping due to low fuel pressure(trouble code p1093). hope this helps , just ask if you have anymore questions!

Later
Caleb

·
3,163 Posts
I have a manual trans so all i did was install a double disk ceremic clutch and solid flywheel, but the allison needs much more to take much more than 90 hp for a long time, try checking out ATS, Suncoast, OR DTT's websites for your best trans options, or even send a pm to (Forum Member) MIke L he is the best there is with the ally!!!!! Crank it up Diesel has a good deal on ATS trannys right now!!!

LAter
Caleb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Edge juice with attitude and I really like it. It has alot of ajustability and the power is definately noticable. The attitude monitor can be configured any way you want from display to smoke level, much nicer than the outlook monitor from bully dog in my opinion. Plus PMT Diesel makes a mount for the attitude monitor that puts it in the cubby above the rear view mirror so its out of your line of vision but still easy to look at and adjust your power levels. :popcorn

Take it for what you will.

Darius

·
Registered
181 Posts
There is getting to be a bunch of different choices out there. Gauges with the safety defueling is going to be a plus as well. Boxes or programmers that are increasing the fuel pressure are something you are going to want to avoid. Timing and duration are the safest most effective ways to increase the power. Our Intimidator programmer works very well. It removes the top end speed limiter and will enable the tranny quick learn as well as doing trouble codes.

Between Edge and Banks, go with Edge. I have driven both, Edge has much better throttle response with lower Egts. On a dyno it also shows bigger numbers. If it was my money, go with Edge Juice wam.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im planign on going with a edge juice attitude combo for my cummmins, Ive heard good things about them on the dmax also

·
3,163 Posts
DiscountPowerParts said:
You cant go wrong with Edge. We have sold many of them and they very rarely come back. They may not give you the most HP, but they almost never fail.

I dont have the same experiences with edge, i see almost every other one installed has some sort of glitch with it at one point or another, but i will say i have never seen edge not stand behind their products, unless u bought it from an unauthroized dealer of course!!!!!

DPP was that you pulling the short ford gasser at Dayton this last weekend?

If so good run:beer

Later
Caleb

·
Banned
40 Posts
That is our ugly truck. Thank you! The first week at Mercer we had a problem with the new Hydraulic steering and Larry was kinda nervous this weekend. He started out kinda slow, plus it was our first test of the new engine. There should be a few more feet in it we hope. Did you pull? I only remember 2 Dmax's there, but then again its hard to watch when you have people looking for parts lol. Soooo many of our customers are over the internet, its nice to actually sell to people when you can put a face with the order.

I sell probably 3 of the F150 Evolution tuners everyday, sometimes more. If I had to guess how many, I would say about 300 in the short time since they released it. I have only had one of those come back, and only because of an angry wife! lol 1 other had a problem and that was only cause the truck was so new they didnt have the pcm code yet. For the Diesels I've only had one with a dead Attitude screen, and Edge hooked him right up. Maybe we are lucky, but I never fear selling Edge. I will probably have a bunch of returns now that I said that.:(

Come see us at the next Pull!

·
3,163 Posts
Im gonna try to hook down at smithton on the 30th, i got to meet BigblockBill and Mech6121 at dayton! Will you be down at the hole then!

Later
Caleb

Most of the bad edges i've seen are cummins comp boxes and a few d-max and today my first 6.0PS one go bad, i'm not saying there a bad product they just have some issues but what dosent,right?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts