Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be doing an order to a few places soo, but am looking for suggestion's on the part's if they're worth it or not and which places i should get the parts from.

Part's i'm lookin to order:
3" Boost Tube (Which Brand?) (Benefit's?)
Diamond Eye Down Pipe (Will i have to remove the front pipe to install? My exhaust is welded together.)
PCV Re-Route (Alligator Kit, With Resonator Plug) (Benefit's?)
PPE Shim Kit (Benefit's? Needed in my se up?)
PPE Ported Fuel Rail Fittng (Benefit's?)
Merchant Automotive T-Case Brace (Needed?)
AeroForce Scan Guage (Basically to monitor transmission slip, and something else, but do these Parameter's work? Can it scan/clear codes?)
PPE Ported CP3 Fitting or the PPE High Flow Feed Line? (Benefit's?)
Trans Go JR (Never tore into an Auto Trans before and dont wanna screw up the valve body) (Deep Pan Needed with this? Benefit's of Deep Pan?)

Give suggestion's to other part's i could use that would be benefical to me. Keep in mind, i'm only running the 70hp tune on my Quad. I tried the 135hp tune, but it shifted a little funny, smoked like a train, and would throw a P0087 (Low Fuel Pressure Code) on occasion.

Sorry for all the smaller parts. I'm not looking to race the truck as it's a Daily Driver with 292,000km's (182,000 miles) and i'm afraid if i do something like a built tran's, the engine will blow or something big will happen. So an AirDog (For now), Twin's, Really Hot Tune, etc are outta the question for this truck.

Thank's

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Most of the stuff listed there serves a minor purpose, but isn't necessary. Are you getting a low fuel rail pressure code? If not the fuel rail/shimkit/cp3 stuff is useless.
Boost tube on the stockers flows enough, And a deep pan doesn't do anything except take longer to heat up and longer to cool down.
The downpipe is connected to the front pipe so you'll have to figure that out somehow.
If I were you I'd get a transgo jr and an edge insight. I've never had experience with thatscangauge thingy so I'm recommending what I have used.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would go with an AirDog II 165 first, before I did anything else. Like I have said before, it was the best single mod I did besides EFILive and DPF delete. After that, I would do the downpipe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the down pipe just bolts to the front pipe with a clamp you should have no problem there

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
The Aeroforce doesn't monitor transmission slip, it monitors torque converter slip and there is absolutely no reason that you need to watch it.

Here's my revised list for you:
EFILive
AirDog II
ProFab Downpipe
Transgo Jr.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being i am not racing the truck, or plan on racing the truck ever. EFI-Live isnt to necessary as i dont mind the way the truck drives/shifts now, and with alot of mixed driving i averaged 20.4 mpg on my last tank with my current set up.
What would be the over all benefit of an AirDog 165 to me right now with my 70hp tune?

What's the difference between a ProFab Downpipe and a Diamond Eye Down Pipe? Doe one fit better than the other? Do they lower EGT's while driving?
What about the T-Case brace? I've had my rear u-joint go out before and before i could make it home, my t-case was cracked and the extension housing was cracked.

How hard is the Trans Go Jr? I've never tore into an auto before and dont wanna screw up one of these expensive bastard's. Does it require drilling into the Valve Body? With the miles on the truck, and being chipped when i bought it at 175,000km's, and been through three chips in total now, will a Trans Go Jr really help, or would it be a waste of time/money?

Why are the Fuel Rail Fitting and the CP3 Fitting a waste of time? Why is the AirDog one of the best mod's you can do?

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
The fuel rail modifications are usually for guys having trouble maintaining rail psi. Basically if it's not broke don't fix it. The ported Cp3 fitting is not going to help unless you are making huge power.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the idea fuel rail pressure at cruising anyhow? Or at an idle?

So, basically the only mod's from my list i should even look at is the Down Pipe and the Tran's Go JR? Anything else that's not overly expensive like the Air Dog?

And why would i need an AirDog with only a 70hp tune?

·
Registered
781 Posts
AD gives positive pres to the CP3-makes life easy on the pump and injectors so they last longer. EFI also works great on low HP tunes, you can custom make it do anything you want. If you work on your own truck EFI is a very powerful tool that makes it much easer to work on the truck/track down problems.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
I am going to be doing an order to a few places soo, but am looking for suggestion's on the part's if they're worth it or not and which places i should get the parts from.

Part's i'm lookin to order:
3" Boost Tube (Which Brand?) (Benefit's?) AFE or the magnificent KB extreme high flow IC pipe, I would do this
Diamond Eye Down Pipe (Will i have to remove the front pipe to install? My exhaust is welded together.)Should be able to install it yes
PCV Re-Route (Alligator Kit, With Resonator Plug) (Benefit's?)I would do this
PPE Shim Kit (Benefit's? Needed in my set up?) Id do it
PPE Ported Fuel Rail Fittng (Benefit's?) save $$ and drill yours out
Merchant Automotive T-Case Brace (Needed?) Not really unless your goin big hp
AeroForce Scan Guage (Basically to monitor transmission slip, and something else, but do these Parameter's work? Can it scan/clear codes?) I found the parameters are funky boost wise, I use it to watch rail pressure mostly,yes you can clear codes with it.
PPE Ported CP3 Fitting or the PPE High Flow Feed Line? (Benefit's?)meh, wouldn't worry about this one
Trans Go JR (Never tore into an Auto Trans before and dont wanna screw up the valve body) (Deep Pan Needed with this? Benefit's of Deep Pan?) I would only do the transgo if you really wanted to.... AND if you felt confident doing it your self... other than that id save for a trans build if your goin with bigger HP, Im afraid the cost to install it at a shop would not be worth it. An allison brand deep pan wouldn't be a bad idea... cant bring myself to buy a mag hytec $300+ one....

Give suggestion's to other part's i could use that would be benefical to me. Keep in mind, i'm only running the 70hp tune on my Quad. tried the 135hp tune, but it shifted a little funny Did you do a relearn when you upped to the 135?, smoked like a train, and would throw a P0087 (Low Fuel Pressure Code) on occasion.

Sorry for all the smaller parts. I'm not looking to race the truck as it's a Daily Driver with 292,000km's (182,000 miles) and i'm afraid if i do something like a built tran's, the engine will blow or something big will happen. So an AirDog (For now), Twin's, Really Hot Tune, etc are outta the question for this truck.

Thank's
Just have one more suggestion, if you regularly change your fuel filters, take the money you would have spent on the trans brace, cp3 fitting, and the trans go and get yourself an air dog, then you can delete your FF housing and save yourself money not having to change them pricey FF's and change the air dog once a year for 20 bucks. Hope this helps and if anyone disagrees with something please feel free to correct me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts