Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure it's been asked a 1000Xs, but here goes:
I put on a 4" TB exhaust, (big difference BTW) now what's next? Should I go with a programmer next?(looking at Diablo Pred) Or, Go with an intake? (AFE) Also, how does the intake affect the computer? I've seen comments about the air intake sensor, but I'm not real clear about it. I'm on a limited budget, so I'm doing the Johnny Cash way... 1 piece at a time......

P.S. Joined McRat forum, and I'm blown away at the site of a 4X4, 4door, pickup running in the 11s-10s. Can't wait to complete the mods to my truck, and jack with the local rice-burners.:D

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Go with the programmer first. With the aftermarket intake, I didn't notice any increase with it....just louder turbo whistle. As far as intake sensor (Mass air flow), you shouldn't have a problem with throwing codes unless your mass air flow sensor is bad. I have had no problems with my AFE intake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on! Thanks. Man, I'm really liking this forum. :rockin

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
definitely do the programmer first and then do a drop in filter from afe but for the programmer if you don't mind spending the extra $$ go with the ppe economy and in the future if you want more hp just have it upgraded to the ppe hot et2 or if thats to much they have sevaral options..the ppe economy runs around $450 and the diablo is around $400.. 01-04 LB7 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Diesel Performance Technolgies

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thanks. I have read on here and McRat that the Diablo is good. Also, it seems many people have the PPE. What would be the major foctor for going with the PPE over Diablo? I found the Diablo for $319.00 Free ship @ autoanything.com.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the reson i suggest the ppe over the diablo if you ever wanted to do high hp then you want the ppe but if you don't want to spend a bunch of money of the get go with the ppe economy and then when you wanted to do the high hp upgrade the economy to the hot et 2 and then with the right built tranny and a few other things you'll spin them rollers to about 490rwhp,now thats hp..just some thoughts i had

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"490rwhp,now thats hp.."
Holy sheep dip!!! 490hp? How in the world do you keep the drive train from driving out from under the truck? Wow! I think for right now I'll stick with a little less... It would be cool though. My company is "consolidating" and I'm loosing my job at the end of the year. So I need to keep my "mod" purchases reasonable. Don't want to worry Big Mamma. Know what I mean?:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
You might want to consider replacing your LH manifold that has the restriction in it. You can find info on it here or on the BD Power website. An essential upgrade IMHO if you want full flow out of your exhaust. I got one from US Diesel Parts and installed it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to consider replacing your LH manifold that has the restriction in it. You can find info on it here or on the BD Power website. An essential upgrade IMHO if you want full flow out of your exhaust. I got one from US Diesel Parts and installed it.
I was looking under my hood last Fri. (thinking about a vegie kit) and noticed the LH manifold. Man.... Looks like a lot of work to change that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's not to bad if you have all the tools accessible like at home or the auto skills center. The kit also comes with instructions on bolt removal and torque specs. Couple of hours and your done. I posted some more info on what I did in another post on here when someone else asked me about it. Remove the left front tire, remove the inner fender liner and then I removed the turbo intercooler line on the left and had plenty of room. The 3 bolts going to the exhaust piping at the rear of the exhaust manifold are a bear but the rest of the bolts were pretty easy, just be sure you dont strip the threads in the block when you put it back in or you will have to get new bolts at the dealer which they may or may not have and need to order.

Here is a link to the one I posted about the manifold. I havent had time to load the pictures yet. LH Manifold

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on Brother. Looks like a good weekend job. Thanks. You have a great Air Force day!:usa

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I did it, I ordered a diablo Preditor. WooWoo!:woot Been watching videos of trucks pullin and dragin. I'm lovin this. Thanks guys. Now I'm an addict.:help :D "Hello,,, My name is Paul. And, I'm a diesel addict." :rof

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where did you find the vids of the trucks pulling and dragging at?

Thanks, for the "Great AF Day" I miss that every now and then. You know working for the Army isn't so bad. The AF has a lot of good people but my job here is one of the funnest I've done in a long time and I still get to drive the big red or yellow DIESEL powered trucks now and then. Yesterday I was out tooling around in our mid sized crash truck that has a 550hp detroit in her. Talk about power and mass quantities of black smoke!!!!!

Have a great AF Day yourself Brother!

Brad, former Air Force Firedawg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts