Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When modifying these LBZ (6speed) engines, what is the order of things to limit you? I.e.
360 hp stock
425 intake limits more flow
450 exhaust flow limits hp/too much back pressure/high exhaust temps
450 trans starts going out
475 fuel system limits more
500 hp, turbo cannot keep up
550 Injectors cant flow enough
600 hp con rods bit it
700 cranks drops out?

I've seen tuners/programers that make over 250 hp.
I'm sure a stock truck fuel or boost system cannot support that, or can it?
I've also seen sites that say trans mods are needed for 400+ hp. So my allison cant take 40 more hp?
I've also posted and read the trans can take 80-100hp more without problems, but more will be asking for trouble.
How far can one safely go with only 3 mods: progrmer, exhaust, intake?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I have personally seen a lbz put 415RWHP down with just a edge juice, look for the intake and exhaust mods to add verylittle to that other than lower egts while making the hp!! To run rwhp numbers like that i would recomend a transgo JR and a converter for the trans, it will hold that kind of power rather well!!!

On Kats LBZ a PPE HOt tuner made a little over 480rwhp with a lift pump,transgo jr,and mcrat converter on a other wise stock truck!!

THe lbz 6 speed trans seems to be holding good power compared to the 5speeds with little mods!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've seen tuners/programers that make over 250 hp.
I'm sure a stock truck fuel or boost system cannot support that, or can it?
I've also seen sites that say trans mods are needed for 400+ hp. So my allison cant take 40 more hp?
60hp over stock is suppose to be the limit for the stock alli. I dynoed 430rwhp with a stock on. I have had zero issues with my transmission.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Weak Links

Have been looking for these answers myself, my truck is for recreation and do not expect it to be as impressive as some the beasts I read about on this forum. Thru past experience in the auto/truck industry in socal, have some resources that I can fall back on from time to time.

One who is in research and development at a leading diesel aftermarket company, mentions along the exact same line as Serpa4. This is one reason their kit is still in development, not yet released. Expected safe limits without trans mods is the 60 to 90 at the crank. At 90+ the recommendation is optimum fluids and lubricants along with the intake and exhaust needs.

They and edge tend to be quite forthcoming about the limitations in their research, even in the Juice with Attitude spec sheet they recommend no more than level 3 without trans upgrades. So now 05_LLY has me curious, where can I check out the transgo jr, mcrat converter, and what flavor of lift pump?:popcorn

·
3,162 Posts
DEVWYANE Shoot member Mike L. a pm he is the man when it come to allisons he can explain everthing better and can hook you up with the parts as well. Also from what i hear his customer service is second to none.

Also merchant automotive would be another sourse for the trans parts!

·
3,162 Posts
I'm in the same perdicamant. I put a exhaust and intake in my truck but I want to get a programer. Sooooo.... How mutch horse power is it still safe to add? Untill........ :blowup

There are some holding real close to 500 rwhp on just the transgo jr and converter:cool !!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
DEVWYANE Shoot member Mike L. a pm he is the man when it come to allisons he can explain everthing better and can hook you up with the parts as well. Also from what i hear his customer service is second to none.
MikeL is the man, I just got Wendy back after he worked his magic yesterday :rockin

Even though I never limped Wendy on the street or the track with the Transgo Jr. and SC 1057 but McRat did limp her on the dyno once at 530 rwhp :eek:

I was on a mission to run a 12 which my hubby did for me today :help he was only suppose to be dialing the truck in for me next week ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know what my 06 is putting to the rear wheels, but it does get used not driven. I pull a 24 foot steel gooseneck stock trailer with 17 cows weighing on average of 1500lbs. It pulls anything from that to two 1500gal. anhydrous-amonia tanks. It has K&N cold air, 4" full exhaust, EGR blocker plate and Bully Dog Tripple Dog w/ Outlook monitor w/Crazy Larry and i have no problems with it i like it alot. So id say for daily driver cruzin around you should be able to hold some ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts