·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Only thing i saw different is the windshield side of the insulation on the 15 has 1" lip that slides into the hood and the 17 only has the black plastic rivet type of holder . You can drill holes to slide in the black plastic rivets.. I think you could use the 15 insulation on the new 17 hood if you are not making hood vent funtional.

So did you use the '17 insulation or retrofit the '15 insulation? Prob easier to retrofit the '17 insulation to fit your '15 windshield and engine bay parameters right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
So did you use the '17 insulation or retrofit the '15 insulation? Prob easier to retrofit the '17 insulation to fit your '15 windshield and engine bay parameters right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used the 15 insulation because I didn't go with the ducting to make the scoop functional. Holes from 15 insulation did't quite match up with 17 hood, made new holes & it fits quite nicely. Blocked off backside of scoop with plexiglass to keep water from entering. If you use the 17 insulation, you have to move a wire harness.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I used the 17 insulation . My hood is functional.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Decided to go with the AFE cold air intake.. I Had to cut 1" off the top two sides of the metal housing . It was hitting the plastic duct.. now it's nice and snug on top..

NICE!!!!
One of these days I hope I can slow down and get this done too!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Nice ... The black grill on white looks awesome..:thumb

·
Registered
472 Posts
TWIN540, thanks for taking the time to post on this project, without proof that this mod could be done not sure I would have gone thru with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
TWIN540, thanks for taking the time to post on this project, without proof that this mod could be done not sure I would have gone thru with it.
So what all did you end up having to order? I know the hood and vent. You used your 15 isulation. Did you need clips? Or removed the ones from your 15 hood? I too have a 15.5 Denali and would like to try this out. Doesn't need to be functional. Just for looks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
So what all did you end up having to order? I know the hood and vent. You used your 15 isulation. Did you need clips? Or removed the ones from your 15 hood? I too have a 15.5 Denali and would like to try this out. Doesn't need to be functional. Just for looks.
On mine I ordered the 17 insulation, hood/grill ,and 8 clips to hang the duck,. The duct with valve , The after market cold air intake . Only part used from the 15 was the weather strip toward the front of the hood .( GMC does not have it..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Twin540 you're my hero...

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Twin540,i have a 2015 2500HD Duramax and i ordered all the parts for this hood and installed the hood already and it was a perfect fit,but i ordered the 17 air box and all the 17 intake set up also (i'm a GM parts man at a Chevy dealer here in Houston) my question to you is did you use a 17 air box also? if so did it set off a light because the 17 MAF is different than the 2015.
I was going to just install the 2015 MAF sensor into the 2017 box.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My hood and cab lights today, thanks twin for motivating me in this conversion....
How tough were the cab lights?

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights, LED Fogs, Resonator deleted

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Twin540,i have a 2015 2500HD Duramax and i ordered all the parts for this hood and installed the hood already and it was a perfect fit,but i ordered the 17 air box and all the 17 intake set up also (i'm a GM parts man at a Chevy dealer here in Houston) my question to you is did you use a 17 air box also? if so did it set off a light because the 17 MAF is different than the 2015.
I was going to just install the 2015 MAF sensor into the 2017 box.
I went with an afe aftermarket air box . Can you post pictures of the 17 airbox? I'm sure it wil help someone else with the decision to fabricate the 17 to work.. I looked everywhere for pics with no luck so i played it safe and went the after market .rohttp://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_glasses.pngute..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

·
Registered
37 Posts
The hardest thing with the cab lights was getting it center.....don't go by the review mirror if you have a LTZ....its not center.....i used masking tape and a tape measure, to make sure mines was center before i drill any holes, have some one stand in front of the truck and watch your hood, grill for an idea where the center is, then used your tape measure and measure both sides, i ran a tape from behind the roof antenna from one end to the other end so the lights will be in line with the rear of the antenna and the front will be offset, i will try and do a write up once i get time, you have to remove the sun visor, pillars (be careful for air bags) Both sides, also center console with switches, i took a feed from my roof middle console (brown wire) is Park lights

81 - 100 of 177 Posts