Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of ordering some stuff from the states, nothing too heavy but fairly expensive, around that 4-4500ish, probably couple hundred pounds.
I'd like to have them by Easter long weekend as its pretty much my last free weekend until work gets stupid.

So options would be USPS, but that could end up being more than two weeks. UPS would probably rape me with their brokerage fees.
Get them shipped to the border and pick them up, I'm sure spending that much most retailers would do free shipping to border. Depending how far, add fuel cost. Havre is probably the closest at just over 3hrs but I'm not sure of anywhere to ship to there? I see there's a UPS customer center, do they hold for pickup?

Anyone know how much I'm looking at, or where I can find out?
Seems like everything I get from the states ends up 50% increase by the time I get it, I really don't want this to happen and end up paying 6gs.
If its made in the US I don't pay duty? But I'm on the hook for GST only right? Do I have to pay PST?

Right now it all depends on what the vendors come back for a price and the logistical part of it. If I can't get it by Easter without paying through the teeth I'll end up holding off and maybe figure something out in the summer, after seeding.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did an online calculator and it said duty $244, excise? $60, GST/PST $438 so almost $800 extra. :cookoo[1]:

The government drives me crazy, always have their hands in your pockets. This is getting off topic but at work we have a tool allowance program, so I make my wage, get taxed on it (26%). I buy tools and get taxed on them (10%), then submit my receipts and the money I get back I get taxed on again (26%). On the same $1000 I get for tool allowance I get taxed a whopping 62%!

·
Registered
619 Posts
USPS would be your best option for shipping IMO. I just ordered a straight centerlink, roughly $350 UPS delivers and I get charged an additional $120 for their brokerage. I know there are also ways to have UPS deliver and you fill out the brokerage paperwork and avoid all their fees..

·
Registered
528 Posts
Most bus lines charge very little if the vendor will take it to the terminal.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
What are you ordering? I have a whole whack of parts including my trans being shipped to Plentywood MT. There is no duty on auto parts and all you pay is the the tax on the value of the parts! Where are located?

I have not bought any parts from canada for building my truck all of it has come from the US. Im sure i have all the answers you need. Feel free to ask

Reactions: mitchell

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
I'd say pick up at the border or USPS. UPS are crooks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found this online, pretty helpful
A Canadian's guide to customs, duties, brokerage, shipping, and international orders. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Thinking of ordering a trans kit, efi live and the supporting mods.
We will see what some vendors come back with for a price.
What is the info on the plentywood place?
Its 4hrs away, not terrible.

If The shipping is going to be around that $200 plus $82 brokerage fees then its not that much different adding up fuel. I checked UPS and its only a $82 brokerage fee for declared value of $1000-5000. The shipping calculators don't make a lot of sense as to finding out roughly what standard shipping would be, so I'll wait for the retailer to figure that out.

From what i've read its like 6-8% duty on car parts.
So with taxes its like 16-18% without any shipping. Ouch.
The CBSA wants to make your return to Canada easier this holiday season
Car parts: 6-8%
Think most will be made in US hopefully so shouldn't have to pay anyway correct?

I have sent an email to Jared @ Castle custom trucks. I know from talking to him earlier his PPE stage 5 is around $3300. If you get it for $2300+500corex18% duty/tax its the same price without having to pay shipping. So if other prices are close and he offers EFI live from a reputable guy I might go that way?
We will see, might end up doing nothing too haha.
I like the truck where its at but would like to ditch my current programmer for EFI live. If I'm going to get EFI live I'd like to do it once and get the big tunes. I figure either way I have to do the tranny as it won't like either.
Then I have to get a lift pump, and all the little stuff.
I'd rather not do something that will end up costing me more, ie lying at the border, fraudulent shipping info, etc. For some reason I'm usually hassled and searched at the border as it is now anyway.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i have never ordered anything big like a transmission but i usuall deal with willie (mrmanners) and he has a ware house in calgary and hes in the states, and the calgary warehouse usually has everything in stock, shipping is 10-30 bucks small things my exhaust was 60. PM willie, tell him i sent yah, he'll try his best to get what you need

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yes Willie is great to deal with ive order a few things from him. Ordered my new rims through him and had them shipped to Plentywood also then a buddy picked them up for me. Here is the place in plentywood i ship smaller things to. My trans went to this place also in Plentywood. They handle bigger things.

Smaller items go here:

Plentywood Package Service - Home

Large items:

CarQuest - Curtiss Farm & Auto 203 E 1st Ave. Plentywood, MT 59254 Phone: 406-765-2930 Toll Free: 800-404-2930

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
I believe Adrenelin Truck Performance has a warehouse in Alberta as well. They didn't last year when I ordered a bunch of parts. I paid way too much getting stuff shipped through UPS.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yes they do thats who Willie is hooked up with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last year i ordered around $2000 of stuff through alligator performance and had it shipped to a depot just on the other side of the border. They charged me a very small fee to hold it there and when i went to pick the stuff up, all i had to pay was taxes on it. (which you have to pay anyway.) I didnt have to pay duty on anything that was made in america. Waaay cheaper that shipping across the boarder. (have done this before and got screwed!!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thinking right now I'm ordering from Jared at Castle custom trucks in
Pincher creek. I think I'll just go and pick it up there. His prices are fantastic, as good or better than what I've been seeing in the states.
Was going to cost 150-200 just to ship to border, then duty and pst, which I won't have to pay picking it up in Alberta, and I get to support a Canadian guy who's pretty good to deal with.
Ill let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
657 Posts
keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
What kit did he sell you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up choosing the kit from adrenaline. I think it will suit my needs perfectly.
Also getting autocal from idahorob, fass lift pump, PPE race valve & ported fitting, edge CTS w/pyro, EGR delete, ATSG manual and S&B mouthpiece all from castle.
Should be enough for awhile, atleast till I feel the itch for 4.88s and air lockers haha.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You will love robs tunes and the edge. I have it in my truck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts