Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all been a while since i posted. Will be selling my 03 truck here shortly and ready to start some work on the new to me 08. however as I was doing my research here the last few weeks(i have not payed attention to the newer models) that most guys are doing the delete and some other mods to increase fuel and horsepower. I guess my main question is in today's world is the dpf delete etc worth it or is there other options(legal) to gain mileage and horsepower? I am not mechanically inclined so I just want to put that out there. I have tried to search for alternate options but not having as much luck compared to all the other information out there for the delete etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey all been a while since i posted. Will be selling my 03 truck here shortly and ready to start some work on the new to me 08. however as I was doing my research here the last few weeks(i have not payed attention to the newer models) that most guys are doing the delete and some other mods to increase fuel and horsepower. I guess my main question is in today's world is the dpf delete etc worth it or is there better options to gain mileage and horsepower? I am not mechanically inclined so I just want to put that out there. I have tried to search for alternate options but not having as much luck compared to all the other information out there for the delete etc.

Thanks!
I just got an 08 also. I'm going to be doing a EGR delete amd straight piping the whole thing. It really does make the truck run and sound alot better. Plus if you want to do more powerful tuning then i suggest getting it done. A local shop said they will do it for $1100 and that includes the EGR delete, straight piping and tuning it which is required when you remove the dpf but the tune also add's 150hp. So i would say shop around for prices at some pretty reputable places before letting just anyone work on it.

Lmm Guy

·
Vendor
10,985 Posts
There is a trend in the diesel community that is keeping trucks emissions equipped because the EPA is coming down on mfg, tuners, shops, etc.. Most recent settlement was PDI a tuning company that tunes OTR trucks. They received a 1.1M dollar fine for all the deletes they had done. PPEI recently stopped offering off-road tuning because of pressure from the EPA as well and converted to all street performance calibrations that are certified by the EPA in 48 states.

Is this the right answer? Can't say for sure, mechanical problems are still going to be there with these DPFs and DEF systems on the 11 and new trucks. I think mfg are going to have to get onboard and start either remanning dpfs to make them less expensive or come up with a better version of it. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is a trend in the diesel community that is keeping trucks emissions equipped because the EPA is coming down on mfg, tuners, shops, etc.. Most recent settlement was PDI a tuning company that tunes OTR trucks. They received a 1.1M dollar fine for all the deletes they had done. PPEI recently stopped offering off-road tuning because of pressure from the EPA as well and converted to all street performance calibrations that are certified by the EPA in 48 states.

Is this the right answer? Can't say for sure, mechanical problems are still going to be there with these DPFs and DEF systems on the 11 and new trucks. I think mfg are going to have to get onboard and start either remanning dpfs to make them less expensive or come up with a better version of it. Time will tell I guess.
I'd still say delete it. Why have something that you know will eventually give problems.

Lmm Guy

·
Vendor
10,985 Posts
I'd still say delete it. Why have something that you know will eventually give problems.

Lmm Guy
Your not wrong with that response but it is the way things are headed. UNLESS there was a miraculous change in the EPA but I don't see that happening either.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I repeat my earlier comment that ( I have a trace of the bunny hugger/environmentalist in me ) I would settle for having a DPF if it was made so I could

1) easily disassemble and change out the DPF filter element - the ones on the "big boys" have provision for that, and there are numerous firms that advertise they can clean and "exchange" the filter elements/

and

2) not live in fear of a sudden "no warning" partial engine failure ("limp mode") every time the computer decides the PDF is stuffed up.

The above obviously NOT the case, my LML is going to get a complete and total delete AND I will be "somewhat unpleasant" to anyone getting in my face about that !
Haha my man!

Lmm Guy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I do have 90 days on truck so I cant do anything till then. I guess my biggest worry was hunting or traveling out of state and having something go wrong and not having a dealership work on truck even if it was just fro something that was just a little issue(like power steering pump).

Last question as I am leaning towards going with the delete is I heard of a horror story where a guy was on a trip with a truck he just bought(didnt know it had a tune) took it to dealer and they did a reprogram and bam, truck was basically locked up. I would hate to have that happen but i didnt quite understand why it happened.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks guys! I do have 90 days on truck so I cant do anything till then. I guess my biggest worry was hunting or traveling out of state and having something go wrong and not having a dealership work on truck even if it was just fro something that was just a little issue(like power steering pump).

Last question as I am leaning towards going with the delete is I heard of a horror story where a guy was on a trip with a truck he just bought(didnt know it had a tune) took it to dealer and they did a reprogram and bam, truck was basically locked up. I would hate to have that happen but i didnt quite understand why it happened.
I would just make sure to tell them not to reset the computer when they work on it. So that way they don't erase your tune for the dpf.

Lmm Guy

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Hey all been a while since i posted. Will be selling my 03 truck here shortly and ready to start some work on the new to me 08. however as I was doing my research here the last few weeks(i have not payed attention to the newer models) that most guys are doing the delete and some other mods to increase fuel and horsepower. I guess my main question is in today's world is the dpf delete etc worth it or is there other options(legal) to gain mileage and horsepower? I am not mechanically inclined so I just want to put that out there. I have tried to search for alternate options but not having as much luck compared to all the other information out there for the delete etc.

Thanks!
This thread will answer some of yoru questions.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/maintenance/988217-maintenance-info-suggestions-new-owners.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts