Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
Egr could potentially leak and dump coolant into the motor....that’s a big if

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not so much of an IF as a WHEN. Deleting mine this 2 week break from work for that very reason.

I don't think the tune actually shuts off the EGR, it simply keeps the code from showing up. You can unplug it to keep it from operating, but I want to do the delete just to prevent future problems with it leaking coolant into my engine.

I am going to take the time to change my thermostats while I am at it, since you have to drain the coolant to delete the EGR cooler and my coolant is due for a change anyway. Again, just to solve future problems and to put my coolant back on a new basis for future maintenance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How is the throttle response with the delete?
I only took a very short drive around the neighborhood, I didn't notice any difference.

GEEZUS MSDUNKEL, you've definitely earned yourself a few beers and steaks. Great job on getting that project done. As sad as it is, I'm kinda glad to see Murphy messes with other people other than myself; I was feeling all alone. I'm sure the debacle was worse than you could portray on the forum, but I literally laughed out loud while I sat here reading it at work. I have a '15 LML, am new to owning diesels so this is all informative. Again, great job overcoming the obstacles and I hope this project solves your problems
Part of Murphy is a lack of knowledge on my part. Things that happened a million times to somebody who knows wtf they're doing and are then handled in seconds require inordinate amounts of time when it's the 1st time I've ever seen it. Take that stuck sensor for example. I was able to trace the electrical cord back to a connector mounted to the frame. A guy who knew what he was doing could have easily just removed the connector from the frame instead of the DPF. I had no idea how to remove the connector without breaking it. Probably some catch somewhere, hell if I know. Since I couldn't just take 3 seconds to disconnect the connector, me and WD-40, and my adjustable wrench had to fight it (more Murphy, of course the bolt was right between box wrench sizes I happened to have on hand; a box wrench would've fit but my adjustable was too big and kept slipping off, a real mechanic would've had every size).

It is not so much of an IF as a WHEN. Deleting mine this 2 week break from work for that very reason.

I don't think the tune actually shuts off the EGR, it simply keeps the code from showing up. You can unplug it to keep it from operating, but I want to do the delete just to prevent future problems with it leaking coolant into my engine.

I am going to take the time to change my thermostats while I am at it, since you have to drain the coolant to delete the EGR cooler and my coolant is due for a change anyway. Again, just to solve future problems and to put my coolant back on a new basis for future maintenance.
I emailed PPEI to see if the tune actually turns the EGR off or just hides it from me. If it doesn't turn it off, I'll pay for a full delete kit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So this is a big surprise. I reset the average mileage on my truck, typically over the life of the vehicle I've seen between 16.5 and 17.5 mpg on the DIC with hand computed mileage usually 1-2 mpg below whatever the DIC calculated (always assumed it was regen gas). I took a 55 mile drive, the 1st 47 just putting along as I took the wife shopping: slow accelerations, generally pretty mpg conscious. The last 8 miles were pretty aggressive as I realized I left my phone at the gym this morning and I hauled butt to go back and get it :). I realize this is not a long term scientific study, but I'm really liking my 1st impressions post-delete...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Probably has a lot to do with the gentle poking along drive.

My LML would do that all day if driven gently and at a near steady speed on 50 - 55 mph road.

My preferred fueling location was on a rural 2 lane and from there I often went to a city about 40 miles further. I would have been disappointed if it was only 21.5 when I reached the city.

That said, truck was almost always near empty when fueled, and almost always the tank average was between 16.5 and 17.5, just like your's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Probably has a lot to do with the gentle poking along drive.

My LML would do that all day if driven gently and at a near steady speed on 50 - 55 mph road.

My preferred fueling location was on a rural 2 lane and from there I often went to a city about 40 miles further. I would have been disappointed if it was only 21.5 when I reached the city.

That said, truck was almost always near empty when fueled, and almost always the tank average was between 16.5 and 17.5, just like your's.
Certainly possible, but I normally drive the truck fairly easily. I don't think I've ever floored it once in 5+ years of ownership. For some reason sitting up high and the diesel rumble relaxes me into a completely different style of driving. Really odd now that I think about it. I'll report back on fuel mileage after the next full tank of what will be normal driving.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I purchased the tuner from Alligator performance. I called them today and they verified that the EZLynk tuner electrically turns the EGR function off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
What did all the delete stuff run you?
$2700

Parts were $2100 (pump, pipe, programmer), I bought some tools for another $125, and I paid $475 to get the pump installed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I haven't been driving much so it took a while to need to buy diesel. After 360 miles the truck too 23.3 gallons of diesel for 15.45 MPG. The DIC showed a staggering 20.3 MPG!!! I'll keep hand calculating for a while to see what happens. My previous hand calculations for around town driving were typically 14-16 mpg, so no major improvement there. The DIC used to show 16-17.5 mpg, no idea why it is now so far off.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I haven't been driving much so it took a while to need to buy diesel. After 360 miles the truck too 23.3 gallons of diesel for 15.45 MPG. The DIC showed a staggering 20.3 MPG!!! I'll keep hand calculating for a while to see what happens. My previous hand calculations for around town driving were typically 14-16 mpg, so no major improvement there. The DIC used to show 16-17.5 mpg, no idea why it is now so far off.
Mine is always way off. I can understand the average mpg being off but the amount of fuel I put in compared to what the DIC says is never even close. I can put in 8 gallons and the DIC says I used 5.2 (or something close to that)

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Like @LML6600DMAX said.. Tunes and 4 or 5" exhaust will do.. Thats all I did other than an EGR block plate.. My EGR is intact but naturally unplugged in 3 locations and my DEF tank is still there but inactive due to the tunes.. Never had another problem. I had a shop swap the exhaust due to not wanting to crawl around on the floor..They charged me like $150..done in 1 hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys have inspired me to get intimate with my2012 truck since the 175mile emission warning didn't fix itself and now I'm down to 55mph limit and 75miles and completely done with going back to the dealer with this truck even though it only has 46k on it. I'm trying to read up and figure out what exactly I need to do to make the emissions errors go away along with the DEF system. I don't mind leaving anything related on the truck at this point I just need to get it back to being reliable w/o the emissions crap asap.
So judging from what I read in your post Coullier1 a 4" complete exhaust, Tuner and unplugging the EGR in 3 locations will get me there?

I'm in the Virginia Beach area and have the name of a good shop in Chesapeake that can do anything I want on tweaking it but I don't mind doing some work myself just to save some money. Any help with websites, etc for ordering stuff would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure this is mentioned in other areas of the forum but so far this is the most straight forward and hilarious thread I've read... I'm married to a Murphy so I'm in the same boat when it comes to working on things and believe I was jinxed once I said "I do" to her....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Theres a few good vendors on the site that can hook you up with what you need. Unfortunately being from canada i cant use any of them with out a 30% dollar value coming into play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DONE!!! Had a buddy that had access to a lift at his relatives shop and was able to gain access to cut the old exhaust into a couple pieces for removal which made life much easier. Installed new Flo Pro stainless 5" exhaust with muffler and tuned it and man what a difference!! I haven't had a chance to change any of the programs yet on the GDP tuner but it's a night and day difference.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Holy Smokes, that thread was entertaining.

msdunkel thanks for taking the time to share and your blatant honesty. We can all relate to F*@#ing up a simple process. I thought I was the king of turning tasks into projects. The list of stuff I don't know far exceeds the list of stuff I do.

Last year, I bought a 2015 DenaliHD with 78k on it out of Boise, Idaho. Absolutely love the truck with all the Denali creature comforts. I had a 05 LLY that I never shoulda sold, so I'm familiar with diesels. (My tuned 05 LLY, would run circles around my current truck)
What I wasn't ready for was the new emissions crap and the fragile CP4 problem.

I live in the Reno/Sparks Nevada area, in Washoe County with emissions requirements. Since I bought the truck was used, and Im at 85k, I've been really considering a tune and a semi-reversible delete since I could register it out of a rural county where no smog is required.

I'd like the option of putting everything back in case I ever trade it in.

Coullier1, to be clear, the new 5" exhaust by passes the whole DEF tank, so it remains in place. But the exhaust can be re-installed with the old exhaust put back with exhaust clamps?

Contender31, do you have a $$ rundown and list of where you bought your components?

( I swore I was gonna leave this truck alone ) :eek:hno

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Contender31, hows the sound of the Flow Pro 5" with muffler? I have one in my shopping cart on a website right now and was curious about the drone. By the way, this post has been a great read on a slow day at work. I've been kicking around the idea of deleting my '13 and figure it's time. Thanks to all that have contributed here.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
DONE!!! Had a buddy that had access to a lift at his relatives shop and was able to gain access to cut the old exhaust into a couple pieces for removal which made life much easier. Installed new Flo Pro stainless 5" exhaust with muffler and tuned it and man what a difference!! I haven't had a chance to change any of the programs yet on the GDP tuner but it's a night and day difference.
So what you going to do if your state/county starts emission testing, it’s coming at a state near you.

Cutting the old exhaust in a couple pieces when you could have unbolted everything at the flanges and just pulled it out, then stored it.
Ready to easily put back on if you ever need to.

My stock exhaust is in 3 sections in my storage shed. And my newer exhaust is also in 3 sections using the 3 & 4 bolt flanges, no exhaust clamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My exhaust was difficult enough getting out from under the frame even with the cuts in the double wall pipe. I saved all the "junk" from the exhaust jic I needed to have it reinstalled sometime down the road but I don't foresee that every happening. I'm not concerned about the emissions testing right now. I had a vehicle that was rendered almost useless at 48K miles due to the emission system. My main concern was getting my truck running and back on the road so that I'd be able to go to work each day. So yes, there might be a risk down the road but it's one I'm willing to take and I'll deal with it when that time comes.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
There’s been many cutting out the stock exhaust then proudly brags about trashing it, then a few years later crying on the forums needing stock exhaust ASAP.
Just trying to help, but it looks like you’ve got this handled.
Besides your new and not aware of others screw ups, sorry if you took this a negative way.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts