Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exhaust brake question: I often tow my 38' fiver in hilly/steep country. I always have the exhaust brake active when towing--and it definitely helps slow the train down as expected and necessary. But in many instances, it won't let go when I want it to. For example, last week as we were coming down a 6% grade that had a few curves, it engaged when it should have, and held me safely back as expected. But when the road straightened out near the bottom of the grade, I wanted to let it coast a bit to return to normal speed. I tried turning off the exhaust brake switch--but that did nothing. I tried accelerating--it continued to hold on. It finally released after 30-45 seconds at just over 4k rpm. This behavior pretty consistent. Is this normal? Is there a trick to getting the brake to let go when I want it to?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am towing a much lighter trailer but often in the mountains. Most of the time my exhaust brake behaves ok and does a good job of holding my rig back to safe speeds on the decent from mountain passes. Similar to the OP I sometimes want the EB off to allow my rig to coast when I know that the brake will not be needed. Turning off the EB does not always disengage immediately so apparently this is normal. I am fairly sure my 2018 was the same. Not sure what the solution is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts