Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an overboost issue. My 2001 has the P0234 over boost code. I have nothing done to increase boost .Juice/ A2 & exhaust This seems to happen only on a performance setting and not on the stock setting both with the banks 6 gun and the Juice. Is there a sensor I can replace? Does this 01 model have an EGR valve?:confused: This truck only boost up to aprox 24. When code came on it was at about 6psi. Just freeway driving (empty).

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
does your truck still run strong after getting the overboost code? If it does, it is probably just your programmer causing it. Some cause it and some don't. What is happening is the computer is seeing a higher boost at a lower throttle position. I have thrown the code a couple of times with my truck with no other problems. I don't think your truck has an EGR on it...IIRC 03 and newer california emissions came with that stuff on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck will run good than out of the blue it will die Or feels like it is running out of fuel, most of the time no codes will come up. After slowing down for a while it will come back on. It did this with both different programmers on it. Maybe fuel pump is getting tired? or a bad boost pressure sensor? I ordered a boost sensor code eliminator but this still might not fix the problem. The higher the programmer setting and higher the "low boost setting" the fast it happens and recovers.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Do you change your fuel filter regularly? That could be a cause for lacking of power. You might also try and take a look at your MAF sensor to make sure it doesn't have crud on it. If you are still running the stock paper filter, that shouldn't be a problem, but with aftermarket filters, it could be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dads 2002 has banks and 6 gun also, gets the over boost code at about 20 or 21 psi, does any one else have this issue or know how to fix?

thanks ahead of time

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Get rid of the Banks...j/k. No, some programmers will throw the code no matter what. I am assuming that your dad's truck throws the code after a long hill that he is pushing that boost. If he doesn't lose power, it is just nothing to worry about. From what I understand on this problem, the computer sees too high a boost for throttle position and then throws the code. My truck does the same things, but it seems to be coupled with cold here in AK. I have only seen it twice. I know there is supposed to be something from PPE that is supposed to eliminate the code, but it is pretty expensive. I will just live with mine since I have a predator to clear the codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
over boost

He usually throws the code when towing a fifthwheel in setting 3, frequently happens at around 20-21 psi. What is the "normal" max boost range for an 02?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
IIRC around 24 PSI is max for a stock lb7. My truck did the same thing pulling an enclosed trailer with snowmachines in it. I use a TST and predator. As long as he doesn't lose power (I didn't), I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
over boost

His truck seems to go into a limp mode and his fuel comsumption goes up. He usually has to pull over and remove the code. I was thinking he has a bad boost or back preassure sensor

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
You sure he only has a P0234 code? Sounds like more is going on there than just an overboost code. When is the last time he changed his fuel filter and air filter? Has he tried to duplicate the problem with the banks removed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts