Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was on a slight down hill when I changed the rear diff fluid, I ended up putting about 4.5 quarts in. Do you think I should get the truck level and let any extra run out?

thanks - andrew

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
id let some out, it doesnt hurt to over fill them i always overfill mine just outta spite.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help everyone!

I just changed the front and rear diff fluid w/ mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 and the transfer case w/ synthetic ATF. I did a drain and fill of the tranny a few weeks ago with a new spin on and Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I am going to do another drain and fill on the tranny when I change the engine oil that way its even less diluted with old stuff.

truck has 32,xxx miles you think I should do a power steering flush and radiator flush also....? its got very low miles but its 5 yrs old.

·
Registered
784 Posts
that can push out axle seals

·
Registered
181 Posts
thanks for the help everyone!

I just changed the front and rear diff fluid w/ mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 and the transfer case w/ synthetic ATF. I did a drain and fill of the tranny a few weeks ago with a new spin on and Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I am going to do another drain and fill on the tranny when I change the engine oil that way its even less diluted with old stuff.

truck has 32,xxx miles you think I should do a power steering flush and radiator flush also....? its got very low miles but its 5 yrs old.
Over maintaining just a bit. I changed the diff for the first time when I replaced the wheel bearings this weekend. The truck has a 117k. 90w will last 100k+. I've replaced my spin on filter or two and topped off the tranny. Do what you will but you're spending money a little to early.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over maintaining just a bit. I changed the diff for the first time when I replaced the wheel bearings this weekend. The truck has a 117k. 90w will last 100k+. I've replaced my spin on filter or two and topped off the tranny. Do what you will but you're spending money a little to early.
Yeah its a little excessive, but i just bought the truck so I am putting fresh fluid in everything. All synthetic, except motor oil....too expensive to buy 10 quarts of synthetic.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
117 000 miles on the same diff fluid and 2 spin on filters, dont want to an ass but u may want to increase ur services a bit , ur right he is over doing it , but ur under doing it

·
Registered
622 Posts
get it level and let some out over filling can blow out seals

·
Registered
17 cclb are 3500.
2,286 Posts
117 000 miles on the same diff fluid and 2 spin on filters, dont want to an ass but u may want to increase ur services a bit , ur right he is over doing it , but ur under doing it
I have 450,000 on my rear diff, should I change it???:D Now that i have said that, I will probaly be broke down this run!!:help

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
I have 450,000 on my rear diff, should I change it???:D Now that i have said that, I will probaly be broke down this run!!:help
Na, go another 450,000:rof
Yes you might want to check into changing it.:booboo

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would let some out but over filling will not "blow" seals. As long as the vent is not pluged the worst that will happen is it could push a little fluid out of the vent (highly unlikely). Over filling a pressurized system could blow seals but the differentials in our trucks are not pressurized.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I would let some out but over filling will not "blow" seals. As long as the vent is not pluged the worst that will happen is it could push a little fluid out of the vent (highly unlikely). Over filling a pressurized system could blow seals but the differentials in our trucks are not pressurized.
wrong....... pushing fluid out the tube VERY likely

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good to know....i let a little out, but only a few ounces came out.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Just park on level ground, pull the fill plug and let it drain until no more comes out, done.

And I would do the hydroboost flush if I were you. Thats a great maintenance procedure to start doing at regular intervals. People don't realize how nasty that p/s fluid really gets in the hydroboost assembly. It gets worn out pretty fast.

·
Registered
272 Posts
when parked on level ground, you should be able to put your pinkey in the fill hole and be able to touch the liquid. thats the right amount. ^^ like gr8shot said park it level and let it drain till no more comes out. that perfect!

·
Registered
142 Posts
wrong....... pushing fluid out the tube VERY likely
Unless you get it very sideways on a hill for an extended period and are not running a vent tube, It IS very unlikely that you would throw any out of the vent. Even in drag cars when we are spining the axles at 200 mph plus, with no vent tube, we never push fluid out even when slightly overfilled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts