Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story to this is I got the truck last fall, all stock except a aftermarket intake pipe. Over the last year I put on a turbo elbow, egr delete, 4” down pipe back, and a Danville stage one turbo (old turbo was shot). At Christmas (of 2019) we drove back up to Ohio (home) from Georgia (where I’m stationed) and I got Danville to tune the truck (dsp5). Well that trip killed the head gaskets so when we got back I tore it down and did all that. So I get it all back together and can’t get the air out of the fuel system so I added a lift pump (good excuse right?)and that helped me figure out the quick connect was leaking. Fixed that and now it’s up and running. So I took it for a drive and now it smokes a bunch even on the stock setting. The MAP seamed to be acting weird (my other thread from yesterday), but after a new one that seams to be all good now. It runs good, has great power, but when I get on it the thing looks like it has a smoke tune! Rail pressure looks good, balance rates are in spec, boost seams to be building fine, no codes, it just dumps the black smoke. Any ideas? Also this thing has about bled me dry with all this and buying a house, so the cheaper the test the better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Whats the issue then? Trucks are gonna smoke if you tune them, if it has power and boost then i think you’re probably fine. Unless theres a small boost leak? My LLY smokes on a “stock” tune as well. In my opinion if the truck is running good, has power and sounds happy then you leave it alone

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Often times tuners “stock” tune is actually an improved stock tune as well. Not sure about danville in particular though

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have specified that it didn’t smoke before tear down with the tune. The couple hundred miles with the tune before the tear down all the tunes were pretty clean running, optimized stock all the way up. I could step on it in the higher tunes and see some smoke, but not on optimized stock and definitely not the thick rolling I have now. It runs different than before tear down too. Not in any way I can describe, more of a you get to know your truck and I can feel that it’s off. I definitely don’t have any problem with a little heathy smoke that goes with diesel that isn’t dying from the EPA’s BS, I’m just concerned about the change from before to after my dicking with the entire top end of the engine lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boost leak or air restriction?

I need to look over the boots/pipes but I sure haven’t noticed a boost leak/any to block air flow. Im going to go over that part of it real close today now that I’m off for the day

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally figured it out. Apparently the plug on my turbo vane position sensor is cut in a way that it can be plugged in upside down. So the computer was reading the vanes as being at 100% all the time. Flipped the plug right side up and it runs great!

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Amen! That’s a little weird but amen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts