Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quick question for those of you that run your gauges either in the overhead console or like me will have the autometer triple cluster just over the rear view mirror. I want to know if you have to have extra length probes for EGT/Boost/Trans or whatever other gauge I decide on.......6ft good enough or is there some special routes you need to take in order to run these in this location!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I run the auto meter double just above the mirror. Boost and pyro. My boost came w/ 10ft tubing if i remember correctly, and had to cut some out. The pyro was an 8ft lead, and I used every spare centimeter out of it lol.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you run it down your passenger A-Pillar to your passenger manifold you should be alright for the EGT Probe. Mine is run from the Drivers A-Piller to the firewall, than across the firewall in the engine bay to the passenger manifold.

·
Registered
956 Posts
ive got 2 pyros one for both side, drivers side ive got run through fire wall up pillar to gauge, passenger side theres a rubber grommet under carpet that i went through and up the pillar to gauge, its really tight so becareful or youll pull one or two of the wires out of the back of the plug to the gauge, oh sorry im running the cobalts. But believe me it looks really good when finished. everyone that sees them usually says i didnt know trucks came like that???

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I have been pondering for awhile now and for some reason I thought most gauges were a standard 6' length. I really wanna save my pennies and get some phantom II's cause I like the white during the day and blacked out at night, but on the other hand right now the glowshifts seam more in my price range since I'm not really makin this thing a dedicated puller/hauler/drag queen. Kinda hard to suck up oh 400+ bones for three lil gauges

·
Registered
74 Posts
save up money and get "real" gauges. I had the glowshift gauges in my ol 12v when i got it and thought sweet truck already had them no need to get them. I then heard of all the bad things and how they are really not that great. Found a smokin deal on some gauges and switched to autometers and holly cow. My egts were off by 400 and my boost was off by 7psi ... and i had my waste gate dialed into what i thought was 32 so i didnt kaboom my turbo ... i was wrong ... i was spinnin my stocker at 39-40 which is definite kaboom territory... so save up money and get the right stuff first. Remember we dont use gauges like most people to look cool ... we use them cause if we dont shit could go very wrong if not careful

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After seeing the Phantom II's I will be saving and getting those! glowshifts just seam kinda cheap and ive been on their site probably 100 times with a cart filled and I couldnt press the "Order" button!

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
any of you guys have pics of your over the rear view mirror gauges?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey rugbyman send me a number i can text you a pic to my cam broke and cant upload any pics but can text ya some

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
here's a night shot, its the only one i have uploaded to the forum, i'll post a daylight shot up when i get off work today for ya.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sorry for dumb question but is that over mirror or cubby hole ... i think it is the over the mirror one ... how do you like it .. i was thinking of switching my set up from my pillar

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
pics as promised. Yes they're the over mirror, and i love them. I've ran pillar gauges before and I absolutely despise them now. I got so sick and tired of hating to turn left at night with the windows up it was ridiculous haha. I use my cubby hole for sunglasses and where i mounted my home link setup, so i didn't want to give that up lol.

·
I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
2,598 Posts
looks slick man!

·
Registered
74 Posts
thats the ticket right there ... what mount and gauges are those?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks like the cobalts, and yea the gauge mount you can find on ebay all day long I have the 3 gauge one

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The gauges i'm running are the auto meter dodge factory match actually haha. I liked the color of the led's inside of them better, and have always liked a clean looking gauge on the outside. I love them. I purchased my setup through alligator, they definitely hooked me up :thumb

·
Registered
136 Posts
if your tall and use your rear view mirror i wouldnt recommend that mount, had one of them in one of our trucks and it really limits the rear view mirrors mobility...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^I've never had an issue with mine, and can damn near move it to view my dome light if I wanted to.. maybe it was the install that is in question?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts