Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so iv noticed since it has gotten hotter out ( its been 80- 90 here) and running down the highway shes running close to 210 but wont go over no matter how hard i run her but cools down to 185 if i let her sit or drive around 40 mph, im thinking thermostat cause it just started since i just got it out of the shop, i think they drained the coolant while the engine was hot and screwed up the thermostat just double checking to see if anyone has had this problem

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im going out now to gm to get the thermostats cause there the only ones who have them is stock and i need them before i go to capital raceway tommarow, and another question that im pretty sure i know the answer too do i have to run the orange GM coolant? cause im gonna switch to the purple nitrate precharged coolant

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Im not real sure its overheating, mine runs at 210 all the time, it wont get below it unless its cold as hell and it wont go above it at anytime

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its been running at 185 since i got it and somtimes it would run higher then go back down but not up to 210 constant

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hmm maybe the LLY's run cooler, than the LBZ's and LMM's

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its got one 180 and one 185 so i dont think it shoudl run close to 210 at all. so i think my one themostat is sticking.... WHY! the hell did they designa 2 thermostat system....wtf its stupid unless its a big 12 liter engine and needs high flow to cool... ohwell

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm maybe the LLY's run cooler, than the LBZ's and LMM's
i think they run hotter cause of the emission system to burn the soot out unless it has a regen switch? maybe ??? i dont know i dont know duramax all that well

·
Registered
135 Posts
My truck does the same thing. 180ish most of the time 210 on the highway or if i hammer on it. I dont think it is a problem.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iv had it 2 months now and has never run this hot at highway speed. ... i noticed that they changed my coolant it was orange now its purple...ish ...... i wonder if they mixed the coolant wrong. it just went in for injectors, harness, and FICM. do they have to drain the coolant to change injectors?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and another thing.. if it runs this hot at highway speed with no load, what kinda temps am i looking at while towing 9k..... i think i have a problem none of this seams right

·
Registered
669 Posts
my lb7 is normally always between 192 and 210 depending on how hot it is and it drops to around 187 when just cruising around town.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im got the thermostats and new coolant. im gonna check a couple other things. first and if i fond nothing im just gonna do the stats and change the coolant

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after doing alot of research my hoses are not hard my coolant tank is not pressurized( besides the lil pop when i took off the cap) and my fan clutch is engaging and no air pockets in the system ( as far as i can tell ). so im going with thermostats. i know it will do this if one is stuck and one is open and its running hot so im just gonna do them tommarow befor i goto capital and ill let you guys know what happens

·
Registered
736 Posts
Of course it's never run that hot, cuz you've only had it for 2 months. It just got hot outside. Every Duramax I've been in either fluctuates between 185 and 210 or stays just under 210. You'll be fine :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Just my two cents, Mine has always ran at 210 and only moves about a needle width(down) while driving, idle it drops to about 170 to 180 ish.

For a minute there I was wondering if I had a problem since mine was doing the same thing. then I read everyone else's post..... lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep, my 09 runs 210 as a normal operating temp. Nothing to worry about as ALL vehicles in the past 20+yrs or so have had 195 or higher thermostats installed by the factories as a way to help emissions.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
does anyone know if there is a gasket on the thermostat housing?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
if it runs this hot at highway speed with no load, what kinda temps am i looking at while towing 9k.....
the same, just a little more fan action as the load and outside temps increase.

Your truck is running normal. :horse1

:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts