Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004.5 that when I tow my 5th wheel up hills it overheats. I have intalled the new 4inch intake and filter and change the part to the tubor to 4 inch and changed the exhaust to 4inch. now I have all kinds of power and better fuel mileage, but still having a porblem when towing. I was told that is because of the air flow. I have changed the fan clutch, thermostat and pulled the radiator and had it tested

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
How much r u pulling? 100 tons? Lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
No llys are known for overheating. The only thing ive heard of working is adding a secondary radiator.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
No llys are known for overheating. The only thing ive heard of working is adding a secondary radiator.

Yes they are......The turbo inlet piece also known as the mouthpiece is the primary issue. The stock one is very restrictive.

To the OP. Did you put an intake on and not replace the mouthpiece? That would help you a lot if you dont have it replaced yet. As Zeke said, the only true fix is a secondary radiator.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04-5-05-lly-performance-parts-discussion/8288-lly-mouth-piece.html

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/general-discussion/99967-more-lly-overheating.html

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04-5-05-lly-duramax-powertrain/91657-overheating-lly.html

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think he meant turbo inlet when he said part between 4 inch and turbo but idk unless hes talking about downpipe?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would look between your intercooler and radiator and make sure its not plugged up.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the guy that ran the v2 setup for our radiators doesnt do it any more. there is a diy thread somewhere, dont have the time to find it now but i'll find it later and post it up here for you. another thing for you to look in to is an lbz cooling setup. they have quite a bit larger fans/shrouds/radiators and cool much more effectively. regretfully you need a new hood/grille setup to fit them as well.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
here ya go man, if you're pulling a lot this or the lbz setup is what I would recommend since our LLY's are such pigs when it comes to cooling :thumb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you mean replace the cooling system(radiator,shrouds) with the LBZ 2006 truck parts? will they fit on a 2004?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The secondary cooling system is the only known "Fix" for the LLYs that run hot. It is not a bolt on system and requires some fabrication to make everything work. The Diesel Place link above-- Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
is a thread on how to do it. It is adding another smaller radiator behind the front bumper. They have a radiator builder lined up that will make the radiator part.

You should read through the posts.

Changing to the 06/07 LBZ system is very expensive, and may not give you satisfactory cooling, because you will still use the smaller LLY fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant fine the section that you talked about with the information on the secondary radiator to fix my overheat problem

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
sign up for a membership over there and then click my link again. You have to be a member to view it i guess. It's free and only takes a matter of minutes.

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Articles & Useful Information > Do It Yourself, Useful Articles, & Product Reviews
DIY secondary cooling system

by: engineer837

·
Registered
65 Posts
I WOULD SAY REFER TO THE GM BULLETIN
#06-06-04-036D: Engine Overheats or Runs Hot in High Ambient Temperature When Towing or Hauling on Long Inclines (Install 2006 Air Cleaner Assembly)

Condition

Some customers may comment that while towing a trailer, or if the vehicle is loaded on a long upgrade climb and high ambient temperatures, the Driver Information Center states Engine Coolant Hot, the engine overheats and there is a loss of power and air conditioning.

Correction

Inspect the following areas FIRST.

Inspect for changes to the air intake area or for aftermarket grille accessories. Make sure all air dams are in place and not modified. Remove any aftermarket grille or accessories that may restrict air flow.

Visually inspect the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) to insure that it is not plugged externally. Use the Special Tool J 46091 to ensure that all pipe connections are properly sealed and the CAC does not have a leak.

Monitor the fan clutch operation and complete SI Diagnostics for Fan Clutch Diagnosis. If the fan seems to be cycling on and off when the engine RPMs are above 2800, this could indicate a belt slip condition.

Monitor the actual and desired turbo vane position to verify that the turbocharger is performing properly.

Inspect the transmission fluid level. An overfilled transmission can add to heat levels in the cooling system.

Inspect the air induction system. Ensure that the filter is in good condition and is properly installed.

If no issues were found after the above inspections, install a 2006 air cleaner system using the following procedure.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The clutch fan should be coming on around 220ish. Mine has went to 230 before it kicked in. You can really hear it when it comes on. Is yours?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Wish it would be that easy.. just isn't with our motors man..:(

the secondary setup is the only way to go if you pull heavy with an lly. I think duramax was too concerned with fixing their injectors that they forgot about the cooling aspect haha. Thus, the brainchild of the lbz!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Wish it would be that easy.. just isn't with our motors man..:(

the secondary setup is the only way to go if you pull heavy with an lly. I think duramax was too concerned with fixing their injectors that they forgot about the cooling aspect haha. Thus, the brainchild of the lbz!
did you look at my signature and see what I'm towing. I'm 900 lbs over my max rating and no heating problem.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My LLY now mind you im not towing, but it runs at like 180 all the time.. which my gasser always ran at 210 so i thought this was low. I havent even been able to drive it with the lbz mouthpiece yet either.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
did you look at my signature and see what I'm towing. I'm 900 lbs over my max rating and no heating problem.
I was referring to llymanual and the intake. Terrain/elevation has a lot to do with this as well. And the 04.5 rigs usually seem to have more issues than the 05's for whatever reason. Believe me, I've done plenty of research on this and the only true fix to our overheating issues is the secondary cooling system. If you aren't having any overheating issues, good for you, you are one of the lucky ones.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts