Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a fancy new torque wrench and the scale worked in a different way than my old one. I believe I torqued them to 135 instead of 125. Did it in 3 equal steps, not really sure where I should go from here though. Any ideas or horror stories for me to keep me up tonight?
Thanks in advance

Registered
Go to bed and sleep tight :thumb

Former GM Tech and parts
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Its not like you did 225 instead of 125, its just a slight overage so I cant believe that it would hurt things much.

Premium Member
If you are REALLY worried, have your torque wrench calibration checked by an NBS lab, you would probably be surprised by the percentage of error. You can also check calibration yourself >> https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench <<. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, as mentioned before it is probably well within the acceptable error range. The important thing is they were torqued evenly and per procedure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, yeah I was thinking I should be okay but I hate screwing stuff up like that and normally things are the way they are for a reason so it was just eating me alive for a bit there haha. I figured also since I did the 3 stages it should be okay not like I just went to 135. I just bought the torque wrench so it should be within acceptable range I want to say it's within 4% or .4%

Registered
So I bought a fancy new torque wrench and the scale worked in a different way than my old one. I believe I torqued them to 135 instead of 125. Did it in 3 equal steps, not really sure where I should go from here though. Any ideas or horror stories for me to keep me up tonight?
Thanks in advance
i would not worry about 10 pounds over on a 125ft lb bolt. If you are worried about it, those studs can be reused, so you could break them all loose and retorque. IIRC the ARP torque is lower then the factory torque spec anyway so the odds of damaging the block is low. Worst case you extrude a head gasket but i really dont think your at risk of that.

Thanks for the input, yeah I was thinking I should be okay but I hate screwing stuff up like that and normally things are the way they are for a reason so it was just eating me alive for a bit there haha. I figured also since I did the 3 stages it should be okay not like I just went to 135. I just bought the torque wrench so it should be within acceptable range I want to say it's within 4% or .4%
Depends on the style of torque wrench. The digital ones are a likely to be more accurate out of the box since they dont rely on a mechanically calibrated system to measure torque (thats assuming its not a 25$ wrench that fell out of a shipping container). The older beam and clicker wrenches can more easilly suffer drift when banged around. So shipping can really skew the accuracy depending on the type of wrench and the degree of impact it may or may not have sustained in shipping. It is always a good idea to calibrate a new torque wrench if you can. I believe most tool trucks (snap on, make another choice, matco, ect) can do this for you, though if its not there flavor of koolaid your likely to pay for the calibration. My snapon wrenches have always come out of the case within 1% of true value, not sure if im just lucky or if there that much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts