Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on this. It may be nothing but looking for advice. I just got back for vacation pulling a 8000 lb camper(bumper pull) From savannah,ga to severville,tn. On the way up I was in my light tow tune +60 horse and going up a hill long pull egg went to 1300 and it popped a cel. When I looked at it it was the p0087. I then turned the tune down to +30 tow tune. On the way home same thing got would run high and then pop cel. I have installed Kennedy twins, new fuel filter, racor. The onlything I have not changed is the fuel lines from the filter head to the pump. The truck has never ran that much get pulling the same camper.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
If you’re running Kennedy’s twin pumps it’s not a fuel hose issue. You have some injectors that are starting to fail under the heavy load. That’s also why the egts are going up.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick, Thanks for the help. I verified the pumps are working. How do i check this if i can and then i guess you just do a set of them?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Nick, Thanks for the help. I verified the pumps are working. How do i check this if i can and then i guess you just do a set of them?
I’ve heard of people sending them out to be tested but I’m unfamiliar with who does that. Other than that, it’s just replacing them.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No sir I have not. Truck is stock except the jack spade.

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
Check the code to see if it was P0087. If it was, the fix for my stock LBZ was to shim the FPRV and I added an AirDog II 165gph lift pump.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was the code I had and I have Kennedy twins on it.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looked at how todo it. Better to shim it or get the race plug?

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
Shimming the valve still allows the valve to operate if the fuel pressure spikes. Race plug sends over-pressured fuel into the fuel rail..,

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. I will report back.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I was experiencing this with the 2010 I had. Sold it before ever really fixing. Watching the Edge CTS. My thought was fuel was getting too hot. Code would pop when fuel temp sensor read over 190.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I was experiencing this with the 2010 I had. Sold it before ever really fixing. Watching the Edge CTS. My thought was fuel was getting too hot. Code would pop when fuel temp sensor read over 190.
That’s usually because the injectors are returning too much fuel.

Reactions: Ron Nielson

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick I understand your reasoning and if I can buy a year with the shim kit then I may jump on the injectors. I will know if it helps as I am pulling to Unicoi state park in October which is in the mountains.

Reactions: ChevyTech77
1 - 15 of 15 Posts