Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4k miles. P0191 OBD-II Trouble Code: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Joined the club, out of nowhere threw this code. Straight into limp mode on the highway. It was unpleasant. Searching this seems somewhat common over the years. Luckily I was a few miles from the house so it's in the garage.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I'm out of limp and ecm passed the test on startup which not sure if I'm happy about or not as a ghost issue is more worrisome.
Lift pump pressure is 60
FRPa is within 10-50 of commanded.
Frp1 voltage 1.03
Frp2 voltage 3.97

I sure if that voltage difference is an issue but I think that is throttle dependant as above was at idle.

Maybe a connection issue on frp sensor? No other related engine codes.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Do you have a Derringer?

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
I had the same problem a month ago. Called Banks and they sent me a new Derringer.

Even in stock setting, the Derringer is still intercepting the signal.

If you do call Banks, make sure they send you a new Derringer and harness. A month after replacing the Derringer, I got another limp mode for the MAP. It was either a dirty MAP sensor or flakey harness.

Also, do you have an iDash?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem a month ago. Called Banks and they sent me a new Derringer.

Even in stock setting, the Derringer is still intercepting the signal.

If you do call Banks, make sure they send you a new Derringer and harness. A month after replacing the Derringer, I got another limp mode for the MAP. It was either a dirty MAP sensor or flakey harness.

Also, do you have an iDash?
Yes, running the idash as well but the idash wouldn't read the code. Used a obd link mx+ adapter once I got home. Was yours the same code? I'm hesitant to blame it on the Derringer as this code seems vague in its fixes from looking at the multitude of post on it.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Yes, it was the same exact code. After you tell the iDash to read the code, you have to scroll down to see it, unless the iDash said "no codes".
In my talks with Banks, it's also important that the iDash wakes up when you start the truck. The Derringer gets it's main power from the iDash. If the iDash is asleep, the Derringer is also asleep and in "safety bypass mode"

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it was the same exact code. After you tell the iDash to read the code, you have to scroll down to see it, unless the iDash said "no codes".
In my talks with Banks, it's also important that the iDash wakes up when you start the truck. The Derringer gets it's main power from the iDash. If the iDash is asleep, the Derringer is also asleep and in "safety bypass mode"
Idash screen was blank, never showed anything which was weird when I tried to check the code. And yes I've had intermittent issues with the idash not waking up.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Well, granted, your TSB that you found is interesting, but it was probably the Derringer. Is your iDash and Derringer up to date with the latest firmware?

Also, when I spoke with them, sometimes the iDash update doesn't fully "take". Here's what they suggested...
1. Save all settings to the SD card
2. Update iDash
3. Factory reset iDash
4. Recall saved settings

If you have already updated your iDash to the latest firmware, then skip step 2 in the above procedure. They definitely tweaked the "wake up" routine in the newer firmware. With that said, my iDash still doesn't wake up sometimes. You just have to push any of the buttons to wake it up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, granted, your TSB that you found is interesting, but it was probably the Derringer. Is your iDash and Derringer up to date with the latest firmware?

Also, when I spoke with them, sometimes the iDash update doesn't fully "take". Here's what they suggested...
1. Save all settings to the SD card
2. Update iDash
3. Factory reset iDash
4. Recall saved settings

If you have already updated your iDash to the latest firmware, then skip step 2 in the above procedure. They definitely tweaked the "wake up" routine in the newer firmware. With that said, my iDash still doesn't wake up sometimes. You just have to push any of the buttons to wake it up.
Updated a couple weeks ago. I'll check all the connections and reset the idash. Also found this to support your theory.
My Son, and The Banks Derringer

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
I found that exact same post during my issues.
Try doing a recall last code on your iDash. See if you get anything. If you do, take a couple pics of the data, I want to compare what happened to me.

Reactions: FreedomOne

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bulletin No.: 20-NA-197 September, 2020 Page 3
Parts Information
Causal
Part
Description Part
Number
Qty
N/A CONNECTOR,
WRG HARN 19367009 1
N/A
ACDelco
Dielectric
Lubricant*
(U.S.)
(Canada)
*There is enough material to do additional vehicles. Store
the remaining material for future use.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
5430860 Connector Kit Replacement Use the Published Labor
Operations Time
Version 1
Modified Released September 23, 2020

Looking up that part number it looks like the old blue connector but that could be old stock or old photo.

Correct photo with part.
Connector Kit 19367009 | GM Parts Center

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
@Ottowood , thanks for the advice.

By any chance, have you seen anything similar with the MAP sensor connector?

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Thanks, I had two different codes (and limp modes) within a month of each other. First, was same as the OP for the FPR. Second, was for the MAP.
New Derringer and new Derringer harness... we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Make sure your MAP sensor is clean..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts