Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interesting. A tech sent me the testing procedure for this and it said to clean carbon build up from egr valve as part of the path forward.

If mine comes off I'm planning for it to stay off lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine threw P026D a few days ago, performance seemed slightly degraded but not very noticeable. Dealer stated the fuel system had a catastrophic failure and ended up screwing up the injectors. They are replacing the entire fuel system and injectors and covering it under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Brettster, it would be great to hear more detail on "catastrophic failure" of the fuel system. I wonder if it was the high pressure pump? Maybe when you get your truck back you could relay the tech notes from the paper work?

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I plugged in the code reader to check my truck this morning and it had three new codes related to intake air temp sensor 3 and MAP sensor (P00EB, P0106, P0108) to go with my old friend P026D. I'm guessing/hoping that the tech was banging on the EGR valve to see if it would unstick and that dislodged a bunch of soot onto the MAP and IATS3. I am taking the truck back in on Wednesday when the tech is back form vacation, this ought to be a doozy.

Maybe I should sell the truck and boat and by a sweet resto-mod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brettster, it would be great to hear more detail on "catastrophic failure" of the fuel system. I wonder if it was the high pressure pump? Maybe when you get your truck back you could relay the tech notes from the paper work?

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I plugged in the code reader to check my truck this morning and it had three new codes related to intake air temp sensor 3 and MAP sensor (P00EB, P0106, P0108) to go with my old friend P026D. I'm guessing/hoping that the tech was banging on the EGR valve to see if it would unstick and that dislodged a bunch of soot onto the MAP and IATS3. I am taking the truck back in on Wednesday when the tech is back form vacation, this ought to be a doozy.

Maybe I should sell the truck and boat and by a sweet resto-mod
The advisor said it was a catastrophic failure which required a new high pressure pump, filter housing, all 8 injectors and I should get the truck back in a week. Whenever I get the truck back I will advise further.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good luck, I hope that solves your problem. Sounds like a a great dealership.

Of all the damn things, when I got in my truck today to come home from work, the CEL went out. I checked the sensors for soot and they were really clean. It still shows the codes, but none of them are pending, so I guess they will clear after a few more key cycles.

The same thing happend at the same time last year, P026D just went away. I live in Florida and it is rainy and humid as a MF down here. We just had our first cool front with lows in the mid 60s and much lower humidity. Makes me wonder if my P026D is had something to with humidity in the intake air. Does anyone know if one of the sensors reads/helps correct for intake humidity?

·
Registered
131 Posts
And I have a twist, got the usual CEL like I always do, was busy so I left it and when I hooked up the scanner...P20EE. The nox sensor but no P026d.....crazy. Reset it, drove some more and got P026D again.....Nox 1 has worked for some folks....thinking I might try it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine went back in for P026D. They checked the EGR valve and it was fine. GM Tech told them to check the fuel pressure sensor wiring harness, that was OK. Then check the MAP sensor. They said it was very dirty, but I clean it all the time, so they changed it and drove 4 miles, no P026D so I got the truck back. According to the email from GM Tech, if the code comes back again, they are to change all eight injectors.

I will be shocked if the new MAP sensor solves it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine went back in for P026D. They checked the EGR valve and it was fine. GM Tech told them to check the fuel pressure sensor wiring harness, that was OK. Then check the MAP sensor. They said it was very dirty, but I clean it all the time, so they changed it and drove 4 miles, no P026D so I got the truck back. According to the email from GM Tech, if the code comes back again, they are to change all eight injectors.

I will be shocked if the new MAP sensor solves it.
Yeah, I doubt it too but ok.....I had the oil changed in mine today and the stabilitrak light came on leaving the bay, no kidding.

Got no clue on that one......

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have to eat Crow on this one, the stabilitrak light did come on so I checked that ground again...fixed it and light went off.

Time for locktite!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well it only took a few key cycles and the code is back. I knew the MAP sensor would not solve it. The dealership can't get it back in until Nov 1. This will be their 8th try at fixing it in a year. Totally sucks, I think the one diesel mechanic they have is afraid to do the injectors. But it seems that is all they have left to try. I called a local diesel shop with a good reputation, its in the next town over, 35 miles away, they said $1900 labor + parts. Injector kits online are about $900 a side, so I guess with shop markup for the parts, I'm looking at $4500-$5000 if I have to pay someone to do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on my situation.

I spoke with the tech today in person since its been over a month since the truck was dropped off. I saw the pump myself and it didn't explode but its wearing out sending metal everywhere which ended up clogging the injectors amongst other things. Unlike the CP4, these new Denso units don't seem to explode and you can still drive for awhile without notice until it gets really bad like mine did.

I should be getting the truck back tomorrow and all should be sorted. The procedure called for a new pump, all injectors including the piping (one time use) and a flush of the entire fuel system. Needless to say since I'm 2 months away from the warranty expiring that I will be extending it via GM. The good news is both the injectors and pump have had revisions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on my situation.

I spoke with the tech today in person since its been over a month since the truck was dropped off. I saw the pump myself and it didn't explode but its wearing out sending metal everywhere which ended up clogging the injectors amongst other things. Unlike the CP4, these new Denso units don't seem to explode and you can still drive for awhile without notice until it gets really bad like mine did.

I should be getting the truck back tomorrow and all should be sorted. The procedure called for a new pump, all injectors including the piping (one time use) and a flush of the entire fuel system. Needless to say since I'm 2 months away from the warranty expiring that I will be extending it via GM. The good news is both the injectors and pump have had revisions.
Everythings back together. 0 rail pressure/no start. Awesome!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am glad they got your truck fixed, but a month to do the job is a head scratcher.

Did they ever say what pointed them towards the high pressure pump in the first place? Was it the brass bits in the fuel filter or was it fuel pressure/fuel flow data or something else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am glad they got your truck fixed, but a month to do the job is a head scratcher.

Did they ever say what pointed them towards the high pressure pump? Was it just the brass bits in the fuel filter or was fuel pressure/fuel flow data?
Not back yet! Last I heard it was on a test drive.

First they checked the connection thats been known to go bad which the pins were all fine. Then it was the flow rates which led them to the filter housing which had metal in it. From my understanding the fuel rail was back-ordered and my truck was the third one in for the same issue. GM Engineering and Denso got involved since this is becoming a known problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yikes, mine had the metal in the fuel filter but they blamed the lift pump (in-tank). They said the tank was clean, so it had to be the lift pump causing the metal bits and not the high pressure. Does this make sense?

That is a pretty big tank to fully inspect by looking around with a flashlight when the lift pump is out. I don't know if a magnet would work to do that either? Is it really brass or just brass looking metal that may be magnetic?

gut punched

41 - 60 of 61 Posts