Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I want twins!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck just threw this code 10 minutes ago. Its the P0676 which according to my Edge Evo Race is Glow Plug 6 Control Circut. What exactly does this mean? The glow plug on the number 6 cylinder is bad?
Thanks,
Victor

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes, the glow plug is bad! The # 6 is the third one back from the front-- on the driver's side. Yep, behind the Steering shaft.

The LBZ had problems with glow plugs- and GM had a special program to replace them-- even though you are probably over the warranty, have the dealer check for coverage-mention Emission Warranty.

They are reasonable on price, and easy to replace, but sometimes they twist off when removing them.

·
I want twins!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I doubt they will cover me since the truck is not stock. I was going to try and do it myself. From what I read it is kind of like changing a spark plug. Am I correct in thinking this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought mine and it threw that code at 28 days later. Rather than take it 70+ miles one way to dealer, i looked in to it. About $20 and a day later from O'Reilly I had a replacement glow plug (well, plus 2 on shelf) and about 30 minutes after I started, I had a engine throwing no more codes.

It took a little while to figure out the best way to remove the #6 glow plug because I cheaped out and didn't buy replacement inner fender retainer clips for the driver side wheel well.

·
I want twins!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greenbay!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you! I doubt they will cover me since the truck is not stock. I was going to try and do it myself. From what I read it is kind of like changing a spark plug. Am I correct in thinking this?
yes very easy to change. pulling the inner fender makes it much easier. If you are careful and use the right tools you can remove the innner fender without needing replacement "Darts". #6 is indeed the 3rd one back from the front on the drivers side. but it is not behind the steering shaft. that would be #4. be careful as they CAN break off in the head! :eek: personally I would replace all 8 while you're there. Then you wont need to worry for another 100k miles. I replaced one at a time on my last truck. seemed like once a month it was a different plug going bad. As soon as I got the code on this truck, I replaced them all. FYI, 2 of the 8 plugs broke off in the head.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
My truck just threw a code p0671 must be the number one glow plug first one on drives side ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
P0671 would be the first cylinder on the passenger side.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
I want twins!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok now I need opinions. I only had the time to change the #6 plug today but now when I start the truck it still has the glow plug light on for a long time like it was doing the other day with the bad plug in it. It hasn't turned the check engine light on yet but when I check for codes it is still coming up on my programmer. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
check engine light still on if it is check your code you may have another

·
I want twins!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still the same code that it was throwing for the #6 glow plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab with the LBZ motor. I had a P0676 code which was the #6 glow plug. I replaced the #6 glow plug and cleared the code. The next morning, the check engine light came on again and I checked the DTC and found it said P0676 Control Circuit. I have now taken it to the dealer where I had a brand new glow plug control module installed. The dealer told me this would fix the problem. The following morning, I started my pickup and the check engine light came on again and I got the same code of P0676. I thought, well maybe they told me the wrong side so I changed out the 3rd glow plug on the passenger side. The following morning, I now get P0675 and P0676? I am pulling my hair out here. Its not rocket science changing out a glow plug and its actually pretty easy except they are a PITA to get to. So, I thought lets just disconnect the batteries for an hour or so and see what happens before I started my pickup that morning. I waited for about 2 hours and then reconnected the batteries. I started my pickup and the check engine light came on again and I have the same P0676 and P0675 codes. I am now hitting my head against the wall in frustration.

I have spoken with the after market place that installed my Banks 6 Gun with speed brake and they have never heard of or seen that problem before either. Before the Banks, I had the Edge CTS Juice with attitude and I had the same codes of P0676 and P0675. I am totally at a loss. I have even disconnected the tuner and put everything back stock and I still get the check engine light with the P0676 and P0675 codes or control circuit problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any idea what this could be? The glow plug light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out and the pickup starts right up with no problems. It only does this when I start it in the morning for the first time of the day and the check engine light comes on after the pickup has been running for a few minutes or so. I have exhausted everything and I cannot figure this out. I've even changed out the glow plugs a second time thinking the brand new Bosch glow plugs were bad but I still get the same codes every single morning. I also get the EGR insufficient flow once in a while but I have not seen that code in a while now.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I have ran out of ideas and I am now pulling my hair out in frustration.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You need to check the wire going to the glow plug for a short to ground or being broken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
P0676 Code, 2008 Chevy Duramax, #6 glow plug. Cleared this code, and using remote starting (again) it threw this code again. Does not happen with normal starting. Any answers?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Did your Truck throw this code since you posted this concern, tndqduramax? I understand that you cleared the code in the past but it returned. I might not be able to provide you any technical advice but I am happy to look into this. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got the P0676 code the last two mornings in a row. Both times it was around 50 degrees. I cleared the code and drove all day without it coming back on. Curious to see if it happens again tomorrow. If it does, I will check the wires to see if I can find anything simple before ordering glow plug(s).

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
I got the P0676 code the last two mornings in a row. Both times it was around 50 degrees. I cleared the code and drove all day without it coming back on.
GP fails, display in two cycles;
After you clear the hard code (light on), the next morning start will only throw a soft code (no light, but code stored).
Then on the 2nd morning (after the code clear), you 'll have the hard code, light on. :geek:

Reactions: bman036

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bought a set of 8 AC Delco 12639701 to replace them all at once. Found the set on eBay for $35.

Planning to do them while I have the UCAs off replacing the bushings, so the wheel wells will be more accessible. I went ahead and pretreated them today with PB Blaster to hopefully loosen them up and not bust any off. Fingers crossed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts