Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months now, I have intermittently heard a clunking/grinding noise when accelerating, usually at low speeds like when merging onto the interstate from service roads. And it only lasts about 1-2 seconds. The first few times it happened, I crawled under the truck to see if anything was dragging or loose and never see anything wrong. This morning it did it again after taking off from a red light. Probably going 15mph and maybe in 2nd gear. This time it threw a CEL and the codes read p0700 and P0735 and put it in limp mode. I cleared the codes and went on about my business. It made the noise once mor etoday without throwing the codes and seems like if I let off and accelerate slowly, it stops. After reading some threads, it seems that the t-case might be slipping out of gear. My plan is to drain the t-case and see if there are any shavings. I put in a used transmission last year and did the t-case pump rub kit at the same time and didnt see any evidence of problems when I had the case split. I have put about 60k miles on it since then. my truck has 210k miles on it now. No programmer on the truck and this has never happened during hard acceleration or towing. Any advice?

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
The po735 is fifth gear incorrect ratio, so a slip was detected in 5th gear.

I don't know much about transmissions, but is your fluid level good and clean? When was the last time you changed the spin-on filter?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spin on was changed about 10k miles ago and fluid level is good and clean. I know P0735 is fifth gear but i wasnt in 5th when it happened, Its always at slower speeds like 2nd and 3rd gear.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Possible transfer case problem-- check the output shaft and case for pump wear. Drain the fluid and see if it has metal. The speed sensor for the trans is in the rear and can cause trans problems.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never thought about the speed sensor. I split the case about 60k miles ago and did the pump rub kit and caught it in time. There was some pump rub wear btu not excessive. After doing some reading, apparently the range shift yoke can get worn and cause the transfer case to slip out of gear momentarily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.