Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My trans got built in march and I have about 6 hooks on it, no track action and a little street romping. Mainly daily driving it. I usually run on robs 170 tune. I turned it up yesterday to the max effort in preparation for a little street race with my coworker. So we left work this morning, about 40 something degrees outside,( I tried to let truck warm up best I could), and we get after it, from about a 30-40mph roll. We run em up to about 120 and that's it. Done. No codes. Everything was great. So we drive another 2-3 miles through town and hit another open straightaway and slow down to about 20. I shoulda locked it in 4x4 but the adrenaline was going and I forgot. So I start biuilding boost while holding the brake and he drops the hammer so I follow suit. I hit it and it breaks loose, bounces off the limiter and throws codes, can't shift out of 4th. This all happened so fast I couldn't even process all of it. Not even sure how the trans can shift that fast. So I drive a little ways to the gas station and put it in park and clear codes, put it back on my 170 tune and drive home with no issues. My question after doing some reading about this code is should I have the trans gone through? I'm kinda scared to run it hard now. Or is it just a fluke thing cause it couldn't shift fast enough and got hung up? Thanks for the help in advance. I'm going to sleep

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Call George.......P0777 is usually no bueno.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
No.... all it means is the allison was too slow to release one clutch pack while another was engaged. It caused a tie up. Probably just a fluke from trying to shift while tires are spinning with on traction.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya everything I read on it says it's bad news, but those r stock trans threads. This trans has been flawless, everything a built trans should b, I'm gonna punch myself if I focked it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No.... all it means is the allison was too slow to release one clutch pack while another was engaged. It caused a tie up. Probably just a fluke from trying to shift while tires are spinning with on traction.
Just to save me some time, this pretty much sums it up.

What you are saying you were doing wasn't the smartest. If it isn't there or the situation isn't what you need, is it really worth tearing your truck up to prove a point? Shoulda, woulda, coulda.....

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What wasn't smart about this?
Knowing that without launching in 4x4 I'm just gonna blow the tires off and hurt something. George is exactly right. I knew better. And when I realized it, i couldn't let off fast enough. Lesson learned. Truck seems fine btw, I ran on my 170 tune yesterday and used the skinny pedal a fair amount. Todd texted me and said it should b fine also.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I can't launch in 2WD and blow my tires off? I mean I understand a big burn out. But If I Step on the Go pedal at a light and it lights them for 10 feet, that will mess something up?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't launch in 2WD and blow my tires off? I mean I understand a big burn out. But If I Step on the Go pedal at a light and it lights them for 10 feet, that will mess something up?
If ur at light hen u r in 1st gear. It will shift through just fine more than likely. I was in the process of slowing down and building boost. I'm not really sure what gear I was in but when I hit it I think it tried to downshift and then upshift so quick that the trans lost it's mind. I knew better.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
I can mash it in Maxeffort at any speed and it shifts fine. I just burnout, unless I am in 4wheel but it shifts just like normal, only I am sideways.:gearjamin

·
Registered
897 Posts
I can mash it in Maxeffort at any speed and it shifts fine. I just burnout, unless I am in 4wheel but it shifts just like normal, only I am sideways.:gearjamin
I want a built trans so bad, and what you just said makes the itch so much worse!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts