Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this truck is driving me nuts with the elevated idle at start up, I don't care that it doesn't need to warm up I'm going to no matter what, any way. Intake air heater comes on draws voltage trucks thinks it needs to idle up to charge faster. Disconnected grid heater and it starts fine even at the 27 we just had BUT it throws this p154b code which I can clear right off but I'm concerned that part of the code says ECM over voltage, really don't wanna fry an ECM any thoughts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally like to let a deisel sit and idle a few, besides who starts an engine of any kind and right away revs it up, but mainly I go to work at 4:30 in the morning and I start the truck to let it warm up a few minutes and almost every morning it elevates the idle, it just plain loud. My old lbz never did this, the volt meter would be low for the first 30-60 seconds and when the heater kicked off the voltage came up no problem

·
Registered
125 Posts
sorry, I cant help you with your problem but I do think your being overly paranoid.
living in FL I cant think there's ever a reason to warm the truck up before normal driving, but that's totally up to you, its your truck.
I certainly cant understand going to great lengths to try and prevent the truck from operating the way it was designed, unless of course you are more informed that the gm engineers.
Assuming you have disabled the elevated idle through the dic, the raised idle you are concerned about is the small jump in rpms after starting to allow for the charging system to keep the batteries charged.
what is the jump in rpms like 2-300 rpm until the charging amps come up?
What damage could you possibly be thinking is happening? its not like you fired it up and went straight to WOT.
I really think you need to relax, your going to end up causing more issues trying to fix something that was never broken.
Why disconnect the grid heater? the whole cold start issue your worried about now has no pre heated air to aid in proper combustion until cylinder temperatures come up...
enjoy your diesel knock youcrazyy

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Disabled or not, the true 'Elevated Idle' function only works below 32F. I can't imagine that it is coming on every morning in Sebring Fl. The raised idle will for one of the other reasons (and not the 1050rpm the elevated idle operates at).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it's not the true elevated idle that's selectable, it's just the fact that twenty seconds after the truck is started it idles up to 950 and sits there till the voltage gets to around 12.5/13. My point is my old truck didn't do this to bump up charging output and had the iah on it and never had any issues with it. I just want to know if there is a way whether the iah is still hooked up or not to stop it from reving up every morning at 4:30am like a jackazz, I live in town now and I'm trying to be polite to my neighbors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.