Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously this is a DEF related code.

Not too sure what to do. Just went into limp mode and 55MPH max. Just ordered late Wednesday night all stuff needed to delete emissions. Should I go and get this checked out or should I just wait?

Also, can I upload EFI Live into truck even it if has a the DEF/Exhaust light on? Not sure if EFI can get rid of this or not.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It'll get rid of it, mine was down to 4mph at next fuel fill by the time I got it to my buddy's shop. We loaded the delete tune and away I went.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
If your still under warranty I would go get it check out first. If some day you decide to sell and put it back to stock it will be on your dime to get fixed.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Did you get a 'poor def quality' message?

If so, it likely needs NOx sensors (and GM has extended the warranty on them for '11's).

Once the trouble NOx sensors are replaced the problem will not likely return.

(Occasionally the issue is caused by dried def building up on the def injector. If so it ca be cleaned with water)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck is no longer on warranty except for the Nox sensor. Just get a message that says to "check diesel exhaust fluid, see owners manual now".

If I ever sell this truck everything is going with it. I am going to have it looked at just to be on the safe side and see what they say about it,.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
The next step after 55mph is 4mph.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that is what I am dreading. Hopefully it will make it till Tuesday but most of the parts for the delete should be here Monday according to Fedex's tracking.

We shall see. I knew I should have called dealership sooner than now but I just thought maybe I was low on fluid as this did this once before and light went right back off. It was low but not low enough to cause problems. Thinking maybe the cold we have been sustaining is causing me problems. Seems like there are quite a few threads about DEF getting too cold.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link. I will be finding out the problem tomorrow morning. EFI Live should be here sometime this week. IF its gonna cost what I just spent to get all this stuff removed, I will be just paying the dealership for their time. I can deal with it being in limp mode till I get the autocal delivered this week, I have been driving since Friday with it being stuck at 55MPH max speed.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Books says -If the problem is not resolved
after 805 km (500 miles) of
operation, speed will be limited to
7 km/h (4 mph) after the next fuel fill.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
It doesn't near make it 500 miles before dropping to 4mph, ask how I know lol.
That's why I framed it as 'the book says'. Lots of reports of different performance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it in to dealer and just got back home. They do not know what it is other than there is low pressure on the DEF injection into exhaust. They would have to take tank out and go from there and they werent for sure if they would have it done before the weekend or not. I just paid the service fee and left. EFI Live is due to hit the doors steps sometime today or tomorrow. Tracking says today but we shall see. I will have exhaust and down pipe installed before they would have ever figured out what was wrong.

I just told them I would take truck home. Service guy and I started talking and told him was deleting the system and he didnt know a damn thing about diesels at all. He agreed that this new emissions system is not right and that we shouldnt be restricting the trucks like we are now with the emissions BS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts