Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New truck, already been in the shop @ 1800 miles for a bad injector.

2 weeks ago, 2900 miles, popped up a P20EE. Cleared the code. Week later code came back.

Took to dealer. Day 5. They have no idea. Have a 2nd truck with same problem.

Stuck in a Colorado V6, which is nice but.

Is this a common thing? Scares me when the dealership has it for several days and doesn't know whats wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Surprised no responses to this, cause lots of complaints elsewhere. Yeah it’s apparently comment and I don’t think GM has a fix. I bought a brand new 2018 Sierra Denali...350miles it threw the same code. Cleared it, and it came right back. Took to dealer, they said it was loose hose. Couple hundred miles later, same code again. Taking it back Monday. They have 2 more times to fix it before I call “lemon”.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Surprised no responses to this, cause lots of complaints elsewhere. Yeah it’s apparently comment and I don’t think GM has a fix. I bought a brand new 2018 Sierra Denali...350miles it threw the same code. Cleared it, and it came right back. Took to dealer, they said it was loose hose. Couple hundred miles later, same code again. Taking it back Monday. They have 2 more times to fix it before I call “lemon”.
And that is the key. If you are a nice guy and just let them keep stalling you then there is no incentive for GM to do better. If you are a jerk and make them buy back your truck then GM may get their act together.

I used to be a for real Mr. Goodwrench. I went to a factory training one time where they talked about repeat repairs and lemon laws. They really don't like them. In particular they talked about Washington and Oregon which have very powerful lemon laws. They said that if we got a car back for a repeat repair we should keep it for a while after the repair was completed, drive it a bunch and be sure it was going to stay fixed.

At the time they had a place in Denver that was referred to as The Last Chance Garage. Cars on their 3rd round of repairs were sent there from all over the west. This place had top mechanics culled from all over the region. The idea was to replace just about anything that could possibly be associated with the complaint so that GM wouldn't have to buy the car back. I haven't heard about the Last Chance Garage in many years.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We need something like that in Canada.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hit 2000 miles today got the P20EE as well. Been fine up until this point, after the initial issue I had driving off the lot and having to have a particulate sensor replaced at 10 miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
650 miles got a CEL this morning.....P20EE.

Can this be caused by poor quality DEF? I've had the truck three weeks and the build date was Feb 2017. Truck's been sitting 6 months on the dealer lot....all summer in the heat = cooked DEF?

Poured in 5 gallons of fresh DEF, reset the light, hasn't come back on yet.

Reactions: ASports

·
Registered
11 Posts
650 miles got a CEL this morning.....P20EE.

Can this be caused by poor quality DEF? I've had the truck three weeks and the build date was Feb 2017. Truck's been sitting 6 months on the dealer lot....all summer in the heat = cooked DEF?

Poured in 5 gallons of fresh DEF, reset the light, hasn't come back on yet.
I don’t think it’s DEF quality related. Just filled up with brand new Blue DEF last week and my light is back on again. I asked dealer about initial partial fill and they said they used new GM DEF. Since my stupid light is on again, I made appointment for Thursday. This is visit #3 for same issue, and yes, I will pursue lemon buyback if it reaches 4 without a resolution.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Same here. Just got back from shopping. CEL popped up, plugged in my Bluetooth adapter and showed P20EE.

I'm at 3k miles only.

Also have the well known vibration going on at 70 mph. They balanced the tires, didn't helped but they managed to scratch up the frame with the lift.

Also own a new Vette. Bitch is burning massive amounts of oil. 8 GM dealerships so far, they all screwed up.

I'm about to be done with GM.

Thinking about ordering a sensor and replacing it myself. I don't trust the dealerships one inch.

Will DEF flush and new DEF help at all?

Does anybody have the shop manual for the 2017 Sierra 2500?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, 3rd time at the dealer for P20EE. They tested DEF and said it was “contaminated” and “below spec”. Asked if I added DEF...I did. Said “we’ll fix it under warranty anyway”, like it’s MY fault. Reminded them that it threw codes THREE TIMES BEFORE I added any DEF. At this point, their updates are sounding like a lot of CYA, knowing I’d push for buyback if this keeps up.

Anyway, taking it in Monday for them to take off the DEF tank, completely drain it, then reinstall and presumably fill with “spec” DEF.

So maybe this is DEF quality-related after all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
650 miles on new truck. Built in Feb 2017, sat on dealer lot all summer (hot). Got the P20EE CEL 5 days ago. Factory DEF is 7 months old. Added 5 gallons of fresh "Kleen DEF", so it must have been getting low + stale in the heat. Reset light. 250 miles since (now 890 miles) and no light so far.

A buddy suggested I use this DEF....said he's had problems in his 2016 Ford using anything else.

Maybe there is something to this related to DEF quality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, 3rd time at the dealer for P20EE. They tested DEF and said it was “contaminated” and “below spec”. Asked if I added DEF...I did. Said “we’ll fix it under warranty anyway”, like it’s MY fault. Reminded them that it threw codes THREE TIMES BEFORE I added any DEF. At this point, their updates are sounding like a lot of CYA, knowing I’d push for buyback if this keeps up.

Anyway, taking it in Monday for them to take off the DEF tank, completely drain it, then reinstall and presumably fill with “spec” DEF.

So maybe this is DEF quality-related after all.

Its not about "spec" fluid. I'm still on the factory fluid and it threw a code. It is a design failure done by GM, because they don't invest enough time in testing before pushing out new models. And I don't need any of my 3 college degrees (one in engineering), and a background in the automobile industry, in R&D, to figure that one out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to let you know my situation and what I've heard. Bought a 17 high country in February. Code came on at 4000 miles give or take a couple hundred. Took it to the dealership and they updated my truck with the new software and cleared the code. (They Ended up scratching my bumper while it was in the shop so they fixed it with touch up paint...). Code comes on about a week later. I got it back Thursday. They told me that GM is aware of the problem and that there's nothing they can do right now. Apparently a sensor is throwing a false code and GM engineers are working on it to come up with a fix. As I was driving home today, I hit some rough rail road tracks and it shut off. Kinda makes me think a loose connection or a bad ground? But what do I know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just wanted to let you know my situation and what I've heard. Bought a 17 high country in February. Code came on at 4000 miles give or take a couple hundred. Took it to the dealership and they updated my truck with the new software and cleared the code. (They Ended up scratching my bumper while it was in the shop so they fixed it with touch up paint...). Code comes on about a week later. I got it back Thursday. They told me that GM is aware of the problem and that there's nothing they can do right now. Apparently a sensor is throwing a false code and GM engineers are working on it to come up with a fix. As I was driving home today, I hit some rough rail road tracks and it shut off. Kinda makes me think a loose connection or a bad ground? But what do I know.

Thank you for your input, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, one other thing to note, I was on factory DEF when the first code came on. I added def after the code came on to see if low DEF was throwing a code. Obviously that is not the issue in my case.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is a Duramax L5P ONLY FaceBook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1222898191107557/permalink/1603355576395148/

They discuss the same P20EE issue. Many have been back 3 times and finally got the info that GM is aware of the problem but has no fix so far.

One guy posted his service copy. They replaced the nitrogen oxide sensor. The part no is GM 12676706.

I search this part on gmpartsdirect.com, one of the largest GM parts retailer. Here is the link:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-sensor-12676706

They state that the part is "No Longer Available For Purchase".

Looks like this part has a design failure and they stopped distributing them until they have updated this sensor.

Here a copy&paste from one of the FaceBook Group memebers:

"Tim Beddard Brother has a 17 with 2k miles.. code has set 4 times... each time dealer took back blah blah blah... 3rd time back they said they would put him in another truck... reset and sent him on his way... then the code reset 300 miles later and now the dealer says they can't put him in another truck, that GM engineers are being "consulted". They say they have never seen this lol... jerking him around now. Had the truck 2 months and the dealer has had it 3/4 of the time he's owned the truck. GMC Denali. I have a High country and have never seen the CEL on. 13k miles"

I think that says it all.

We can:

1.) Keep going back and letting them try whatever they come up with and lemon law our truck based on state law or sue GM for breach of warranty.

2.) Go back and have the code reset every time it pops up until they have found the problem and are able to fix it.

3.) Buy a $30 OBDII Code Reader, delete the code our self and bring it in when we know that there is a permanent fix. Not sure if GM will cause issues if we reset codes ourselves.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Diesel powered vehicles are currently exempt in the ten IL counties that have emissions inspection requirements (greater Chicago area counties and those around St. Louis). Of course this could change at any time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had two separate trucks and both had the code before 500 miles. First truck got the third one at around 2000. Dealer has shown me the bulletin that says they don’t have a fix for it as yet. Something to do with exhaust system and emissions thank the EPA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts