Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well truck is 6 years old and i want to keep it nice.. Wife said paint it. Sooooo.. Any ideas? Thinking a dark metallic charcoal.. Getting a pace edwards full metal jack rabbit, and rocker flares.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
Wow dude, I wish I could spend money on my truck like you do....
I'm not familiar with the Pace Edwards. Charcoal would look good. Is your paint in bad shape?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got some rust spots forming on the bottom inside of my doors.. And at this point if im already going to pay to get that fixed, im just gonna do it all. Because i used to have bed rails that caused damage.. Someone scraped my driver door.. A tree limb dented my back, etc.. Plus in bright lights my bedliner is a shade off and it drives me insane. So I decided that since i have like 80k dumped already, whats another 5k to make it exactly how i want it?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,682 Posts
I'd say paint back to original color

If your pretty anal about details (like I would be) you would want to make sure inner cab paint along with the firewall and anything else matches the exterior

Unless your pulling the truck completely apart and painting everything I'd say paint original and if you want a two tone effect do something like the truck below and you wouldn't have to repaint firewall

View attachment 71095

If you don't care and don't want to pull the cab and paint firewall then dont listen to me :). It's your truck!

Some people don't care about painting under the hood or matching the firewall or the front of the bed

Details details details :D

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some quick photoshop work and came up with this... but I'm starting to think that I may take your advice...

·
Registered
123 Posts
agreed with above
Unless you pay to paint EVERYTHING you wont be happy
Also when you get into a multicolor and or faded paint any touch up is out the window. Not very realistic for a driver

·
Registered
316 Posts
That photoshop color is gorgeous. Looks like a pearl sport red. Well that's what gm calls it, I call it maroon.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can not paint, but yes I have another vehicle to drive. I am kind of torn right now... I'm starting to think that I should just keep my current color, but remove bedliner and make it all "clean" looking and repaint all blemishes, etc... I'm just trying to get my truck to look new again, since I'm going to have it for awhile. I already re-freshed the interior this winter and re-dyed it all, just needing to fix up the outside a bit

·
Most Known Unknown
29,682 Posts
Is it a drop in or spray?

Don't get me wrong I mean I have pretty much the same truck in my build thread and the interior metal still has yellow in some places but since we are repainting it soon piece by piece starting with the cab I'm going to undercoat all the yellow that can still be seen, not that it matters because once the covered plastics go back in you wouldn't see anything but its the fact that its there would bother me

If your door jambs look good I'd say call some local paint places and ask what the cost difference is if you sand the entire truck with 320 and give it to them vs them do everything

You just want to have a fresh looking truck I get that! What would be ici g on the cake is getting stuff powder coated like suspension pieces and re undercoating everything frame wise and if you have any faded rubber pieces like exterior rubber seals I think they make some restore product that turns them looking new (so I was told by my cousin who manages an auto parts store) because when I was getting the trim that goes between the windshield and the door, that 2.5' piece that is torx screwed into it one of them from the junkyard was a little faded

What's next, paint the motor and paint the radiator and make the engine bay cleaner?!?

That photoshop color was sweet though!

Two tone with your current color and lime time green top and paint all your suspension lime time green as well!!!!!!!!!!

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Matte Black

/thread

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's photo shop color combo is awesome looking.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought about matte black, but i would go crazy not being able to wax something. I also thought all charcoal gray, but lots of guys around here have that.. Or i even thought gray bottom and red top? But unsure if having black/red/gray would look good.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,682 Posts
OEM color

And dump a ton of flake in it!

Who cares what other people have, it's the finer details that set us all apart

I don't care that I see alot of white jacked up crew cabs in my area with the same body style, I just remember they paid more at the dealer and are stuck with the chrome wheels and the simple fact that the ones I see are gassers ;)

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I thought about matte black, but i would go crazy not being able to wax something. I also thought all charcoal gray, but lots of guys around here have that.. Or i even thought gray bottom and red top? But unsure if having black/red/gray would look good.

I think they clear it so you can still keep it clean.

OEM with some flake or a little pearl would be cool too.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Flake??? Like metallic flakes? Cuz mine currently has metallic in it, unless im missing something?

·
Registered
490 Posts
One thing I hate about having my rockers painted black is that from certain angles you can see white in the bottom cracks of my doors and you can see white between the cab and the bed. At some point I plan to take the bed off and have it sprayed as well as do the bottom of the inside of my doors. Little touches make all the difference

1 - 20 of 199 Posts