Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having this issue right now, i have purchased my LML Bumper and grille for a swap(Anyone that has been trying to do this or has done this knows how much of a PITA finding these parts are for good price)

I have the silver birch for paint color and my body shop guy is telling me to try to find a different paintable set up, as in the non chrome dipped pieces, in order to do it right. He was saying i would have to sandblast the chrome for better quality or it will just chip off. Also said its best to get flat plastic instead of the textured so the enamel holds up better. Need some body guys to Chime in on this!

Pic of the truck now, need to get this done haha will look 10x better!

PICTURE FOR ATTENTION AS WELL :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My paint guy painted my chrome. They'll have to spray epoxy over the scuffed chrome to get it to stick. Some guys just don't know how to do it and won't ness with it. You can buy the paint to match pieces from the dealer but its around $1500 in just parts I believe.

My before and after:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wondering if the plastic plated chrome is easily painted?

Just want to get this truck looking sharp all painted to match! Need some input from guys in the body shop world!

Also, if i do have to find new parts where the hell do you find a paintable front bumper for a LML?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My paint guy painted my chrome. They'll have to spray epoxy over the scuffed chrome to get it to stick. Some guys just don't know how to do it and won't ness with it. You can buy the paint to match pieces from the dealer but its around $1500 in just parts I believe.

My before and after:
Looks great man! question is how long has it held up and if you don't mind me asking where about are you located?

Im in NEW ENGLAND :1zhelp[1]: so i have to deal with rock salt and sand all over the place this season.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
It'll look way better painted man. You can buy the paint to match pieces from your dealer. Go to the parts department and they can print it all out for you. There just primed pieces. You can buy the grille already painted off ebay though. Believe its 330 shipped. They have every color. The plastic (grille and bumper cap) doesn't seem to be an issue...its the metal chrome bumper no one wants to paint. Mine is holding up great. I went 6 months with no chips until I went on a 8 hour drive to Alabama. Traffic the whole way and some snow. Got back home and ended up with about 5 small chips. Can't see them unless you're right up in the bumper though. Next road trip I'll definitely be buying a leather bumper cover to throw on for trips. I haven't had anymore just driving around town. I don't tail gate cars or 18 wheelers. So if you like to tailgate you're gonna get chipped up.

Im in SC!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
My painted chrome piece (hood trim)hasn't lasted but 24k miles. Was prepped like PPG suggested to a T, painted with the best products on the market. I ordered a appearance package bumper, grille, upper bumper piece when I had mine color matched. I am ordering a appearance package upper hood piece in the spring to replace my painted chrome. I am also going to repaint the front bumper and use clear bra to cover it to save all the chips I have fixed.

My paint guy who is a good friend and would not lead me wrong, suggested NOT painting the chrome is you want it to last.

The plastic on the hand is easy. PPG has a new product that preps the texture for paint like a flat material. He has been painting several of them with great results.

·
Registered
839 Posts
your body guy with need to etch the chrome......i have always had my chrome etched and it has held up fine. I still do get rock chips.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It'll look way better painted man. You can buy the paint to match pieces from your dealer. Go to the parts department and they can print it all out for you. There just primed pieces. You can buy the grille already painted off ebay though. Believe its 330 shipped. They have every color. The plastic (grille and bumper cap) doesn't seem to be an issue...its the metal chrome bumper no one wants to paint. Mine is holding up great. I went 6 months with no chips until I went on a 8 hour drive to Alabama. Traffic the whole way and some snow. Got back home and ended up with about 5 small chips. Can't see them unless you're right up in the bumper though. Next road trip I'll definitely be buying a leather bumper cover to throw on for trips. I haven't had anymore just driving around town. I don't tail gate cars or 18 wheelers. So if you like to tailgate you're gonna get chipped up.

Im in SC!
Awesome thanks for the info! As for paint matched pieces, which pieces are we talking about? The top piece on the bumper? and the grille?

Heres what i have:

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've painted cars professionally for the past 10 years. I've painted over chrome before, but I don't suggest it. It's a lot more prep work (meaning more $$$) and we wouldn't warranty it, because our paint reps said it would never last and they should know. We also never had one come back, but I'm from Mississippi not up north. In the end it's just a gamble. See if they will warranty it first. If so, go for it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
"Paint to match" parts are just bare metal or plastic that have been primed. They've never been chromed. You can buy them straight from GM. Unfortunately you can't just buy them already painted from GM. Find someone who does custom paint and body. Most places that are just collusion repair don't wanna deal with it.
This is a paint to match bumper....that's about to get sprayed white.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My painted chrome piece (hood trim)hasn't lasted but 24k miles. Was prepped like PPG suggested to a T, painted with the best products on the market. I ordered a appearance package bumper, grille, upper bumper piece when I had mine color matched. I am ordering a appearance package upper hood piece in the spring to replace my painted chrome. I am also going to repaint the front bumper and use clear bra to cover it to save all the chips I have fixed.

My paint guy who is a good friend and would not lead me wrong, suggested NOT painting the chrome is you want it to last.

The plastic on the hand is easy. PPG has a new product that preps the texture for paint like a flat material. He has been painting several of them with great results.
So you had to paint that chrome/metal piece in the middle of the bumper, and it hasn't been lasting?

Did you order those parts from the dealer?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Paint to match" parts are just bare metal or plastic that have been primed. They've never been chromed. You can buy them straight from GM. Unfortunately you can't just buy them already painted from GM. Find someone who does custom paint and body. Most places that are just collusion repair don't wanna deal with it.
This is a paint to match bumper....that's about to get sprayed white.
Now with this piece i am wondering about the middle chrome/metal piece on the LML. Does that piece come from the dealer primed? because it seems to me like this one piece is chrome on every truck i see that comes stock with paint match bumpers?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way this is what the forums are for thank you guys for being so helpful! I hope this helps anyone else in the future looking to paint match as it becomes more and more popular!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
No they won't come on the truck primed. That's what they use for their apperance package when they paint them. On the older trucks you could just buy a cheap Work Truck front end and get it painted. But on the newer trucks I believe they're all chrome unless you buy the z71 appearance package. Contact this seller and see if he has your color. http://m.ebay.com/itm/390693630294?nav=SEARCH

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
But yes you can order every piece just primed from the dealer. Check with rockauto.com too. Usually they have some paint to match pieces.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
So you had to paint that chrome/metal piece in the middle of the bumper, and it hasn't been lasting?

Did you order those parts from the dealer?

The piece on the hood above the grille. Paint is not sticking to it well. Rock chips are a problem.

Yes I bought brand new from the dealer. The appearance package Z71 is what I ordered them from.

Now with this piece i am wondering about the middle chrome/metal piece on the LML. Does that piece come from the dealer primed? because it seems to me like this one piece is chrome on every truck i see that comes stock with paint match bumpers?

Which piece??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts