Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint my Bowties Black. What is the best way and best paint to use? Should I lightly sand them before painting as well. I just don't want to regret not taking the time to ask before I start.

Thanks!!!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Premium Member
161 Posts
I painted mine recently and has held up really well. I took it out of the grill, scuffed the shit out of it with 120 then 220 grit sandpaper and then shot it with a couple coats of etching primer. After that I put 5 coats of color and then around 5 coats of clear and called it good. Grill and bowtie is so easy to take out even if you get a chip its easy enough to pop out scuff it up and re-shoot it. Below is a pic of my grill and bowtie that used to be chrome.

Attachments

· Registered
2,862 Posts
i sprayed mine black with walmart paint to the shiny with no sanding. stuck just fine i put on like 6 coats

· Registered
297 Posts
I painted mine recently and has held up really well. I took it out of the grill, scuffed the shit out of it with 120 then 220 grit sandpaper and then shot it with a couple coats of etching primer. After that I put 5 coats of color and then around 5 coats of clear and called it good. Grill and bowtie is so easy to take out even if you get a chip its easy enough to pop out scuff it up and re-shoot it. Below is a pic of my grill and bowtie that used to be chrome.
that acutally looks pretty, good, i take back what i said before, go for it!
just take it out, sand it, and use any old paint, then some clear coat

· Registered
682 Posts
Mine was a Polished Billet Aluminum Bowtie for the grill shell, and had it Powder Coated Black

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Mine was a Polished Billet Aluminum Bowtie for the grill shell, and had it Powder Coated Black
x2 thats what mine will be on tuesday

· Registered
61 Posts
i have two im trying to sell. i work at a body shop and had them sprayed by our painter. they were sanded, plastic preped, sprayed with gm black base coat, cleared and baked in the booth. they came out nice. the shine will mach your factory clear coat. looks 100x better than rattle can. the paint has 0 miles on it. shoot me a pm if your interested.

· Registered
61 Posts
they are both for the front of an 08

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks Good! I am going to take your advice and take my grill out too.

Thanks!!!

· Registered
21 Posts
I did mine last fall. Took it out, sanded it, sprayed 2 coats of primer, 6 coats of gloss black turned out real nice.. just did the same to my grill this week took it out taped off the fake center strip of chrome and painted the rest black. So far everyone thats seen it says it looks better and makes the truck look tuff.

· Registered
1,439 Posts
I did mine this weekend. Took it rubbed it down with some fine steel wool, used Rust-Olem for plastic gloss black 3 coats, and then 3 coats of clear

· Registered
2,847 Posts
mine should be here today. Ill post a pic when I get it

· Registered
222 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.