Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prepped and painted the grill on the 07 from black to white using a adhesion promoter and it turned out great .

my question is should I clear coat it . or just leave it . Im not sure . thanks .

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would get it clear coated to protect it.

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
clear it !!!! extra protection against chipping

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I would clear coat it as well. I mean anything to prevent chips on the bumper. It is inevitable, but maybe you can get by for a few extra months before you have to repaint/ touch up.

However, it is a two way street. Touching up as you go would be easier if you didn't clear it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow , thanks guys for the fast replies . tomorrow Ill get some clear coat . any specific brand you recommend ? I did use the GM paint .

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys . Ill get some pics up tonight .

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If you go heavy enough on the paint it'll hold up well. But you really really have to go heavy. I went heavy on the actual bumper part and it held up great. I went light on the chrome strip on the front of the hood and its got a chip on it the size of dime .

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^I'd say there's more to the prep work than there is laying on paint heavy..

Not saying he shouldn't throw some serious paint/clear on there, just throwing it out there that a lot of people skimp on the prep portion of painting things and then wonder why it didn't take very well lol

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
^I'd say there's more to the prep work than there is laying on paint heavy..

Not saying he shouldn't throw some serious paint/clear on there, just throwing it out there that a lot of people skimp on the prep portion of painting things and then wonder why it didn't take very well lol
Oh I went nuts with the prep work. Sanding, alcohol rub down, adhesion promotor blah blah blah

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Oh I went nuts with the prep work. Sanding, alcohol rub down, adhesion promotor blah blah blah
wasn't doubting you, just mentioning it for some of the newer/other guys potentially stumbling through here at some point :drink

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt get a chance to clear coat it today ,but this how it turned out with just the paint .

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
i used spray on bedliner on mine, little prep just with scotch bright, even went over the chrome, it hasnt chipped so far.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got ambitious today and did the mud flaps , clear comes tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
My uncle is a 40 year veteran of body work. Whenever he does anything like this he uses a product called rockguard I believe. It sprays on just like clearcoat it is just tougher. They use it for bumpers, flares, rocker panels, he said he has even done grilles. Any auto paint retailer will know what im talking about. i had to replace the lower valance on the s10 i had when I was sixteen. they come unpainted. I painted it twice and the paint kept chipping and peeling. the third time he told me to buy that stuff when I thought to ask him (stupid 16yo brain) and that stuff is tough as nails.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts