Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been freezing rain the last couple days. Sensors were covered in ice when I got home yesterday, and they were going bonkers, naturally. I cleaned them all off before I shut the truck off, and everything was fine.

Drove it to work this morning, and the light was off, as if I had turned it off. Now, I can't get them to turn back on. The DIC said "Park assist blocked- see owners manual". Of course I did, and of course it was no help. I asked the great Google. It brought up some posts about the sensors acting funny in bad weather, but other than that, not much.

Any ideas? Other than wait it out, maybe dry it out in the heated garage or call the dealer? Really not wanting to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir! That's kind of what I figured.

Minor bugs that I'd like to get rectified, in case it were to lead to a larger problem. Snowball effect kind of thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My previous truck, a 2014 half ton, would do this after a car wash in the summer. Something was getting moisture in it, and it wouldn't function properly until it dried out again.

So... point being, while ice covering the sensor can cause issues, it's not the only possibility.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have this same issue as I drive to work in a dusty road, so even rain/dirt can cause the parking sensors to freak out.

Unless you have issues when the truck is dry and clean, I wouldn't get too concerned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 11’ did the same thing last week with that freezing rain and within a couple days after the rain, the message went away

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10 4. Thanks for all of the replies. As you all have predicted, it went away lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Same and in the 3rd winter I have owned the truck it happened to me last week. I suspected it was block sensors from the crap weather so I didn't pay it any more attention and it is gone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My 2018 did this once this winter so glad to hear that it is "normal". But my 2014 Cadillac ATS has been driven in snow, slush, freezing mist, etc. for 5 winters and never had this issue with its sensors and I don't recall reading any reports of the issue from anyone else on the ATS forum so its system must be a bit more robust than what I would think is a near identical system in the pickup/SUV platform.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Same thing happens to my truck here in SE Wisconsin. After the next above freezing day you’ll see they are totally fine. IMHO, nothing to worry about.
same on my 15, its wonderful losing an ear drum to the parking alert chime every time i hop in the truck. 'uhNo

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
If you don't like/want park assist it can be shut off by either of the methods available.

Park Assist
If equipped, this feature can assist in backing up and parking the vehicle.
See Assistance Systems for Parking or Backing pg 279.
Select Off, On, or On with Towbar.

Parking Assist

With RPA, and if equipped with FPA, as the vehicle moves at speeds of
less than 8 km/h (5 mph) the sensors on the bumpers may detect
objects up to 2.5m (8 ft) behind and 1.2m (4 ft) in front of the vehicle
within a zone 25 cm (10 in) high off the ground and below bumper level.

These detection distances may be shorter during warmer or humid weather. Blocked sensors will not
detect objects and can also cause false detections. Keep the sensors
clean of mud, dirt, snow, ice, and slush; and clean sensors after a car
wash in freezing temperatures.

Turning the Features On or Off
Press 'P>>' the center stack to turn the Front and Rear Parking
Assist on or off. The indicator light in the button comes on when the
features are on and turns off when the features have been disabled.
Front and Rear Parking Assist can be turned off, on, or on with towbar
through vehicle personalization.
See “Park Assist” under Vehicle Personalization pg 161.

If the parking assist is turned off through vehicle personalization, the parking assist
button on the center stack will be disabled.
To turn the parking assist on again, select On in vehicle personalization.

The On with Towbar setting allows for the parking assist to work properly with an attached trailer hitch.
Turn off parking assist when towing a trailer.
To turn the rear parking assist symbols or guidance lines on or off,
see “Rear Camera” under Vehicle Personalization pg 161.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Oh, no i LIKE parking assist, i just dont like it randomly freaking out and blowing my eardrums with the incredibly loud (yes the chime in on min volume) warnings. I was driving down the highway one day, no snow, no rain and just out of the blue this warning goes off and about gives me a heart attack. In defense of the system though, the PO may have put an aftermarket amp in or something and that screwed with the factory levels, i havent torn the dash off to look into it.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Oh, no i LIKE parking assist, i just dont like it randomly freaking out and blowing my eardrums with the incredibly loud (yes the chime in on min volume) warnings. I was driving down the highway one day, no snow, no rain and just out of the blue this warning goes off and about gives me a heart attack. In defense of the system though, the PO may have put an aftermarket amp in or something and that screwed with the factory levels, i havent torn the dash off to look into it.
Shouldn't ever go off over 5mph. Must have something that needs attention.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol:rofl not laughing at your malfunction misfortune or the almost heart attack. I laughed out loud picturing driving down the road, minding my own business, and then having a meaningless alarm go off and scare the $h!t out of you.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking the same thing, but then I remember my wife said it went off on her while she was driving at 50mph in freezing rain. It

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Shouldn't ever go off over 5mph. Must have something that needs attention.
well thats just great, trade in one problem child for another :|

Lol:rofl not laughing at your malfunction misfortune or the almost heart attack. I laughed out loud picturing driving down the road, minding my own business, and then having a meaningless alarm go off and scare the $h!t out of you.
the weird part was there wasnt even another car around for like a quarter mile, i have no idea what tripped it, id washed the truck a few days before so no dirt, ice or snow coverage on the sensors. I tell you want though, coffee is over rated, all you need is a surprise siren going off in your ear to get the blood moving...

I was thinking the same thing, but then I remember my wife said it went off on her while she was driving at 50mph in freezing rain. It
well at least im not alone. It seems these parking sensors have a history of gremlins...

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
991 Posts
“Yeah, they do that.”
“Hmm, strange, never seen before” blank stare
“What’s a sensor... is it like sensuous, as in sense u r up how about grabbing me a beer.” (Don’t try this at home)

Towing today... have selected “off on trailer connect”.. it randomly says “blocked”... or “off” on the DIC. I don’t remember exact words as I don’t take my eyes off the road that long...

Wish I knew... it is buried in “the matrix” somewhere

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.