Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current updates installed on the truck, the Parking Sensor feature comes on with engine start, immediately throws a proximity alert to the front and sometimes to rear when I start backing up, it then says “blocked” and shuts off.

suggestions on a resolution?

thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2019 LTZ
70 Posts
I’m having the same exact issue with my rear park assist as well. I’ll be watching this post. Thanks.

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealer said… might be the grille guard you installed. I said… your dealership had it installed as part of the purchase agreement.

“Huh… don’t know what to tell you, everything is working on our end. “

I hope to speak with GM rep soon…

·
Registered
2019 LTZ
70 Posts
Dealer said… might be the grille guard you installed. I said… your dealership had it installed as part of the purchase agreement.

“Huh… don’t know what to tell you, everything is working on our end. “

I hope to speak with GM rep soon…
I have a grill guard on and the dealership I went to said the same. I said the front grill guard has been on for 14 months and I just recently (2 weeks ago) started having issues with the rear park assist. I would love to hear what a GM rep. has to say as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out this:

I hated the 'Default On' so I did a quick wiring modification to make it default off with the option to enable.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out this:

I hated the 'Default On' so I did a quick wiring modification to make it default off with the option to enable.
that is excellent tip!!! Thanks!

I remember reading and am still considering…. Once the FPA/RPA are actually working again.

Also, with the multiple issues of modules failing to communicate…

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
For the rear park assist, did either of you install the stinger for a rear hitch? Some trucks see this as an object to warn driver about.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the rear park assist, did either of you install the stinger for a rear hitch? Some trucks see this as an object to warn driver about.
Nope clean rear bumper.. and only front guard as in pictures above. It “usta “ work..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today's visit with the "technician" at the dealer who worked on my truck for this problem, went as expected.

I demonstrated precisely how to recreate the issue of the Parking Assist System. The first thing said, "I have to have the front of the truck cleared of any aftermarket items. ".. This means removing our front grille protector and auxillary lights needed to drive this truck in the dark.

So, guess what I am going to do? Return to stock... lets see if this 'fixes' the issue...

What are the odds?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Removed front guard, lights which were above the front bumper… but mounted to the guard. I left the 4 frame attach point Mounts in place.

Problem went away.

System doesn’t show “blocked” go offline. Also seems to sense “better”, but still not as reliable/ consistent when approaching the exact same obstruction. Just moving back then forward does not consistently react… measured, I am within 1/4-3/8” of position and sensors will not react the same. Approach speed doesn’t seem to matter but haven’t done all the evaluations I plan to.

We can read the iris of people from “x” miles in the sky but they can’t make this simple sensor work… hmm. Well, at least they have the pollution controls perfected.. (cynicism)

so, as expected, the “code change(s)” they applied are perhaps the right way to go…. The truck can already do a “baseline” at power up, so they can sense a “steady state”. That seems to be a better solution… just ask Boeing.

I am opening a “case” with GM on Monday, offering my truck as a “baseline test” as I can install and remove the guard in less than 5 minutes now. Would be simple to test. Shall see…

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reinstalled the front guard.
System goes disabled now.
So, GM did have code change increasing sensitivity of the park assist sensor system.
Dealer dude hasn’t returned my call.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: The last drive the Parking Sensor system would enable, flash a sensor warning then shut off again..

I think I will get out my Lourdes Holy Water and sprinkle the beast...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Parking painintheassist seems to always have issues. I disabled mine last week! HAHA "We can read the iris of people from “x” miles in the sky but they can’t make this simple sensor work… hmm. Well, at least they have the pollution controls perfected.. (cynicism) "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts