Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
10,627 Posts
I would stick with a catch can. The PCV gases and residue are intended to be burned in the combustion chamber not go back into the oiling system. With no more oil than you'll lose with the PCV system there really isn't any benefit to putting it back into the motor. at least with the catch can you can see what has been pushed out of the motor, and do what you want with it.

IMO without the suction from the intake pulling the gases out of the crank case, there won't be the volume of gas/fluid as before since after the re-route it's just relying solely on crankcase pressure to expel the gases rather than intake vacuum.

· Premium Member
10,627 Posts
That's a nice writeup Crusher, and I applaude you for using top notch materials and what not.

Like I just posted in your thread, and it applies for this one as well, this isn't rocket science. There's no need to over think this and make it into something way more difficult than what it is. Semis go a million miles with nothing but a PCV vent hanging out below the frame, so why should we need a fancy vacuum to suck out our crank case fumes? Answer... we don't. It just helped GM since by doing what they did, those PCV gasses are now not considered engine emissions, so they can now let more crap go out the tailpipe, instead of some out the tailpipe and some out the PCV vent.

It's simple, re-route the PCV system to vent to atmosphere like in all other non-emissions diesels. If you're worried about oil getting on your frame/underbody, do like Crusher did and install a catch can, otherwise don't worry about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.