Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

PCV Redo to drain oil back into crankcase?

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  theunderlord 
#1 ·
Has anyone redone their PCV system to help the oil drain back into the crankcase? I just pulled my intercooler cold pipe off to be able to change the fan belt and found a lot of oil inside. I pulled off a bunch of stuff to find the source and it is coming from the PCV. I've read a bunch of the PCV reroute posts, but it seems they have a habit of putting oil all over the place.

The 6.5s use a CDR valve that basically has an oil filter (to filter out oil) so the oil drains back into the valve cover. Has anyone tried to put some sort of filter on the LBZ to get it not dispensing oil into the intake or out onto the ground?

I'm sure it has baffles under the valve covers to do that, but they apparently don't work very well.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Already read that one. It won't stop oil from going out the end of the tube which is what I'm looking for. I want the oil to stay out of the intake and off the rest of the truck or the floor.

#4 ·
You can make a catch can for the end of the hose where he has the filter. I made mine out of some 3" pvc and brillo pads. Put some kind of a drain at the bottom of it and run another hose back up to the intake. Mine worked good this way and i only had to drain it every couple of months.

#5 ·
I was thinking of making a pair of filters out of PVC with steel wool to put them right on top of the valve covers so it can drain back into the engine. I guess I'll have to see, that plastic line might not clamp so well and there might not be enough room.

#6 ·
I would stick with a catch can. The PCV gases and residue are intended to be burned in the combustion chamber not go back into the oiling system. With no more oil than you'll lose with the PCV system there really isn't any benefit to putting it back into the motor. at least with the catch can you can see what has been pushed out of the motor, and do what you want with it.

IMO without the suction from the intake pulling the gases out of the crank case, there won't be the volume of gas/fluid as before since after the re-route it's just relying solely on crankcase pressure to expel the gases rather than intake vacuum.

#7 ·
#8 ·
That's a nice writeup Crusher, and I applaude you for using top notch materials and what not.

Like I just posted in your thread, and it applies for this one as well, this isn't rocket science. There's no need to over think this and make it into something way more difficult than what it is. Semis go a million miles with nothing but a PCV vent hanging out below the frame, so why should we need a fancy vacuum to suck out our crank case fumes? Answer... we don't. It just helped GM since by doing what they did, those PCV gasses are now not considered engine emissions, so they can now let more crap go out the tailpipe, instead of some out the tailpipe and some out the PCV vent.

It's simple, re-route the PCV system to vent to atmosphere like in all other non-emissions diesels. If you're worried about oil getting on your frame/underbody, do like Crusher did and install a catch can, otherwise don't worry about it.

#10 ·
i have suggested on other threads rigging a oil seperator into the system between the pcv valve and the connection at the mouthpiece--prevents oil from entering the intake and still retains the postive flow of the system....as well as preventing oil drips on the ground or oil mist spraying the underside of the truck

#12 ·
man all these pcv kits uve got fancy one and u got the cheap ones (confusion here) dont get me wrong i like the fancy one but it seems complicated to do the cheap one looks easier to me but yall have good write ups on these so my ? is which is better to go with im thinking of doing the copper fitting, plug the little hole with a cap (barstool as u call it) and a filter/catch can alittle help with this plz

#13 · (Edited)
i have the cure all for keeping the oily residue off the bottom of your trucks, off your engine, out of your intake tubes or anywhere else. Its pretty expensive and complicated, i might have to do a write up on it and explain the parts list....PUT A LONGER HOSE ON IT SO ITS ABOUT AN INCH OFF THE GROUND!!!!:rolleyes:

thats what i do with all my semis and pickups. works perfect. PROBLEM SOLVED!

#15 ·
I did mine @ 45K miles, and have never noticed a single drop of oil come out of the tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.