Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll probably get smacked around for even asking this, but for those of us with brand new trucks that have to use DEF, has anyone switched over to the new PEAK Platinum DEF? Supposed to prevent DEF and SCR system problems, increase fuel mileage and regen intervals. Hell, I think it even whitens your teeth. Thoughts on this stuff? Is it worth double the price of standard Peak DEF or is it just marketing and snake oil??

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
As I have been made to understand it, DEF is DEF. There is no special formula better than another, and frankly there cant be because of how its setup.

Just buy the cheapest you can find

·
Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
742 Posts
AFTER HAVING TO PAY FOR A SCR FOR MY 2017- I SWITCHED TO THE PREMIUM ITS A LOT CHEAPER THAN AN SCR! PLUS THE COMPANY IS TWO BLOCKS FROM MY SHOP!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
So I used to also say def is def.

However the new peak has done something different. There have been a number of threads on more than one forum that have had problems with it.

Someone posted they had called Peak about the problem, and (of course) peak blamed GM for the issue..

Other than the claims that Peak makes - as OP posted -- I'm not sure what they did different.

But I do know I won't be using any

·
Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
742 Posts
Personally I would rather use a good brand than brand X

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Personally I would rather use a good brand than brand X
We used DEF Blue for a long time then a quick talking salesman told us that they had a brand that was just as good and they would switch it up on our purchase order. Colonial and Blue Panther... anyway we had more def problems so we told them to give us back what we had. Problems did go back down. May of been coincidence but I believe in a good brand.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I k ow you want to use the best you can buy for a $80k truck but I don’t see any difference in DEF. I usually fill up at trick stops but have bought Peak Blue, Walmart brand, Auto Zone , and O’Rielys before....zero difference. If I had to be I would say most is all the same just different packaging but that’s just my opinion

·
Registered
2021 3500 Duramax DRW WT
26 Posts
I check dates and use the freshest I can find. That has been supertech from Walmart for a while now. Their dates are usually less than a month old so I wait until half tank and throw 2.5 gallons in which is a bit less than full. I hate running any tank empty and I have never had issues with this, but I put at least 2.5 gallons in a month so that would be 27.5 gallons to dilute with before the first gallon is a year old.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
DON'T USE THE PLATINUM UNLESS YOU WANT ISSUES.
There have been several reports of problems with the DEF system in these trucks after guys have put the new "Platinum" stuff in.
Peak blames GM, GM blames Peak

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put 115K mostly towing 17K to 19K on my 2015 LML and used Walmart Brand DEF most of the time. No issues other than the two defective NOx Sensors.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I cant state specifics but i do recall reading some people posting issues with sensors reading "dirty DEF" etc from corrosion and ishh gunking it up

Edit : See above post ^^^^^

·
Registered
111 Posts
DEF is basically pee and filtered water so not sure how you can make a "platinum" version of that. Maybe they drank the finest scotch the night before so it was elite pee they started with?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
DEF is basically pee and filtered water so not sure how you can make a "platinum" version of that. Maybe they drank the finest scotch the night before so it was elite pee they started with?
😂😂😂😂 yes yes. Ill take the 18 year DEF please

·
Registered
2014 sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab, Std Box SLT 4WD Z71
169 Posts
The rest of us run
Alcoholic beverage Font Wood Drink Glass bottle

Reactions: cfell and theJman

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I fill at truck stops. But the issue I found is there being fluid in the nozzle being stored up right from the pump. I always turn the nozzle down to pour out this fluid before bring it to the fill on the truck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So I'll probably get smacked around for even asking this, but for those of us with brand new trucks that have to use DEF, has anyone switched over to the new PEAK Platinum DEF? Supposed to prevent DEF and SCR system problems, increase fuel mileage and regen intervals. Hell, I think it even whitens your teeth. Thoughts on this stuff? Is it worth double the price of standard Peak DEF or is it just marketing and snake oil??

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
DEF is tightly controlled as to composition and impurities, this is pure marketing BS as DEF is DEF there is no super DEF. It is 32% urea, no more no less, save your money and buy the cheapest you can it is all the same.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts