Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
So let me get this straight. Use the best fuel additives, oil filters, oil , trans fluid, fuel filters but the cheapest def?

Def additives to reduce or eliminate build up, crystallizations etc seem to make sense to me.

Why treat def any different than other consumables we put in our trucks? No specific details, research, numbers, data just use the cheapest with no supporting info. Smells funny.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
So let me get this straight. Use the best fuel additives, oil filters, oil , trans fluid, fuel filters but the cheapest def?

Def additives to reduce or eliminate build up, crystallizations etc seem to make sense to me.

Why treat def any different than other consumables we put in our trucks? No specific details, research, numbers, data just use the cheapest with no supporting info. Smells funny.......

I’d look at it this way, if all oil, fuel additives etc were made to the same strict guidelines then yes I’d use the cheapest I could get.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I’d look at it this way, if all oil, fuel additives etc were made to the same strict guidelines then yes I’d use the cheapest I could get.
This was copied from the EPA website:

The American Petroleum Institute (API) runs a voluntary program for certifying DEF producers and distributors through its Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Program. Suppliers who have been approved by the API display its logo on their DEF products, guaranteeing the quality of your purchase and its suitability for proper SCR operation. API takes random samples in the market to ensure DEF quality.

A “voluntary” program doesn’t seem very strict to me.

I would like to see more convincing information, facts, data etc. to assist in my understanding of DEF.

·
Registered
2021 3500 Duramax DRW WT
26 Posts

All I know is this, shelf life is the biggest factor as it crystalizes with age not with quality. Read the dates on all the jugs you can get and you will find out the cheapest stuff will be the freshest stuff. I use the freshest jugs possible which most of the time is also the cheapest. For a mixture of water and urea that gets sprayed into a catalytic converter to bind with nox as its only purpose there is no reason I can think of to spend more money on fluids that have less of a shelf life left. Please prove me wrong as I am one of the people who uses amsoil oil products ac delco filters and optilube in every tank and would gladly spend more money if there was a valid reason.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I used to also say def is def.

However the new peak has done something different. There have been a number of threads on more than one forum that have had problems with it.

Someone posted they had called Peak about the problem, and (of course) peak blamed GM for the issue..

Other than the claims that Peak makes - as OP posted -- I'm not sure what they did different.

But I do know I won't be using any
Which forums? I haven't seen anyone complaining about the product. Lots of people poo pooing it, but no problems...can you mention them? I would like to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So is it your belief that every chemical that is in formulation needs to be listed on the SDS? If so, why isn't that required on motor oils. They don't have to list every chemical on the SDS. So, perhaps Platinum has something in it to clean it up/improve the formula and they aren't listing so as to protect their R&D from being stolen from other DEF manufacturers. I'm not saying Platinum is better or worse, just that there isn't enough info out there to have an opinion yet, and your "evidence" isn't definitive proof.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wonder how many manufacturing plants there are for DEF, I’m sure only a few that produce the same stuff for many different brand.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Just run whichever fluid you want. Personally I run what my fuel supplier stocks and have run Blue in last 3 trucks with zero problems.
IMHO worrying about the chemical makeup of DEF is like picking the flyshit outta the pepper. I doubt anyone here has any DEF past its expiration date and take months to go thru a tankful. I'm sure someone has a unique situation concerning all this and just figure out how to handle it- just quit beating this horse!

·
Registered
2019 3500HD 4x4 Cclb, Banks Intake, AG Diesel Module
869 Posts
I bought both regular Blue and Platinum today and even visually they are not the same. Blue is completely clear and the Platinum is more cloudy or opaque if you will. I'm doing a crude test just to see which will crystallize first. The basic components that are required for def may be the the same but Platinum has additional materials in it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
that's all the excuse a dealer would need to say the def is

a> not GM

b> contaminated

c> NOT COVERED
LoL, does GM say only GM def can be used?

·
Registered
869 Posts
not exactly.. it 'recommends' GM.. but lists the ISO and API as acceptable.. BUT

there is a tech doc that tells techs how to identify BAD DEF.. and cloudy is one of them..
Pic is new def made within a few months of each other. GM better put out a bulletin to not use Peak Platinum I guess. I'll pick up another case from somewhere else to compare with this one.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Pic is new def made within a few months of each other. GM better put out a bulletin to not use Peak Platinum I guess. I'll pick up another case from somewhere else to compare with this one.
I am sure at some point word will trickle down...

BUT

in the meantime with so many DEF failures going on and 3 month backlog on parts.. do you really want to poke the bear at the zoo?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am sure at some point word will trickle down...

BUT

in the meantime with so many DEF failures going on and 3 month backlog on parts.. do you really want to poke the bear at the zoo?
I'm not using it yet. Though I already have an extra def tank on hand along with all other def related sensors etc. Def failure mass right now is due to faulty heater connections /poor seals
If I was a 2020-2021 owner I'd be looking at retrofitting one of the 19 heaters into the 2020 tank.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
I'm not using it yet. Though I already have an extra def tank on hand along wit all other def related sensors etc. Def failure mass right now is due to faulty heater connectiobs/poorly sealed pumps.
true.. but with GMs 3+ month backlog I am sure they would be happy to deny as many claims as possible and if their troubleshooting guide says cloudy def is contaminated DEF.. well .. you get the picture...

21 - 40 of 80 Posts