Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3500HD 4x4 Cclb, Banks Intake, AG Diesel Module
869 Posts
true.. but with GMs 3+ month backlog I am sure they would be happy to deny as many claims as possible and if their troubleshooting guide says cloudy def is contaminated DEF.. well .. you get the picture...
They are probably going to end up doing a recall. Failures being posted on every truck site on the web. Even worse for GM that it is an emissions component.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
a bigger question is this..

is the Platinum really causing issues with people that are using it in GM vehicles.. or is it just coincidence

I remember reading that in some DEF systems, dont know if GM uses the same logic.. but DEF quality is a function of how much is used for a given situation compared to the DEF fill prior.. so essentially comparing the efficacy when the system sees that its been refilled... if it sees more is needed than usual it assumes poor DEF quality and throws the code... I read that here a couple months ago..

IIRC the document went into great detail on how the DEF NOX sensor system works and its a typical rube goldberg machine implementation of sensors and programming vudu ...

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
258 Posts
I cant believe I wasted time researching DEF ...but you got me wondering. Here is my 2 cent analysis. So normal DEF leaves deposits ...you know that white chalky residue. If you have the previous generation HD then I bet its all over your engine from spilling it as you tried to pour it down that little spout in the back of the engine compartment. (who thought of that location?) PEAK claims this residue is harmful over time and doesn't burn off in regen. They added additional ingredient/s to their DEF. I would assume it is something that either cleans and/or prevents the residue. So they claim no residue = less regen = more glass mileage. There you go ...true? I don't know.

Reactions: McSpeed

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
I cant believe I wasted time researching DEF ...but you got me wondering. Here is my 2 cent analysis. So normal DEF leaves deposits ...you know that white chalky residue. If you have the previous generation HD then I bet its all over your engine from spilling it as you tried to pour it down that little spout in the back of the engine compartment. (who thought of that location?) PEAK claims this residue is harmful over time and doesn't burn off in regen. They added additional ingredient/s to their DEF. I would assume it is something that either cleans and/or prevents the residue. So they claim no residue = less regen = more glass mileage. There you go ...true? I don't know.
I read a Ford document on DEF troubleshooting.. forgot to copy the link... and it talks about the crusty def on the injector and that will be dissolved during normal use.. it talks about crystals in the tank and that clean def will dissolve it..

personally I think that these heater problems are either a faulty design where not enough over amperage is built into the connector or the heating elements are somehow shorting out due to low quality..

when NOX sensors or other issues go bad and drive NOX numbers around I think the computer throws a lot of misleading codes as to what is really malfunctioning..

FORDS DEF diagnostic primer / worksheet /bulletin was an eye opener .. I will see if I can find the link

hey @viper8315

anyplace you think you can place this PDF on DEF insights ?

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read a Ford document on DEF troubleshooting.. forgot to copy the link... and it talks about the crusty def on the injector and that will be dissolved during normal use.. it talks about crystals in the tank and that clean def will dissolve it..

personally I think that these heater problems are either a faulty design where not enough over amperage is built into the connector or the heating elements are somehow shorting out due to low quality..

when NOX sensors or other issues go bad and drive NOX numbers around I think the computer throws a lot of misleading codes as to what is really malfunctioning..

FORDS DEF diagnostic primer / worksheet /bulletin was an eye opener .. I will see if I can find the link

hey @viper8315

anyplace you think you can place this PDF on DEF insights ?
Thanks for sharing the PDF. All good info there.

Reactions: duecedriver

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was using platinum peak def since day one, then around 5000miles started getting the def poor quality message, it would come and go. So I started using the Walmart brand and so far 7600 miles no more def messages.

·
Registered
347 Posts
DEF is very tightly controlled, there is no special DEF it is all the same, 32% urea the rest is distilled water. By law you cannot add anything else, no special additives nothing. Best place to get it is normal the truck stops bulk dispensing.

·
Registered
2019 3500HD 4x4 Cclb, Banks Intake, AG Diesel Module
869 Posts
DEF is very tightly controlled, there is no special DEF it is all the same, 32% urea the rest is distilled water. By law you cannot add anything else, no special additives nothing. Best place to get it is normal the truck stops bulk dispensing.
That isn't correct. Manufacturers absolutely can add additives. All def has to meet is the normal specs, after that the manufacturer can add whatever.
Platinum crystallizes much different than regular Blue and I guess that is what their additive package does. Regular Blue forms tight clumps when left to dehydrate, whereas Platinum crystallizes almost like spears or icicles, firming almost a web pattern that remains open. I assume it's trying to prevent clogging of def injector and other items that way.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I believe that used to be true. Peak claims otherwise.

Peak is advertising that the 'platinum' version is different.

For years, many have used the original Peak formulation without issue.
The new platinum versions seems to be where the issues occur.

Someone posted they've had been in contact with Peak about issues with the platinum version in their dmax, and peak (of course) blamed GM.

Page where Peak claims the platinum version is different/better.
BlueDEF® Diesel Exhaust Fluid - PEAK

Peak BlueDef Platinum:

Peak BlueDef ('original?):

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
258 Posts
whatever comes out of the truck stop pumps.. cant beat the price.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
whatever comes out of the truck stop pumps.. cant beat the price.
And the ease of use.

Bulk pump is much easier than messing with jugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got my new truck not long ago and then I found diesel exhaust fluid on sale at Walmart so I bought 5 jugs of it.

I didn't realize there was an expiration date on diesel exhaust fluid.

So after reading through this thread and reading something about an expiration date I went out to look at my jugs of diesel exhaust fluid and I found no expiration date.

So how can I tell if it's still good to use?

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
There should be date codes on the container. You'll need to do some google searching on how to decode them.
Also, the general rule is, DEF should be crystal clear with no color or cloudiness. If it isn't, do not put it in the truck.

Reactions: Bsimster

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
There should be date codes on the container. You'll need to do some google searching on how to decode them.
Also, the general rule is, DEF should be crystal clear with no color or cloudiness. If it isn't, do not put it in the truck.
If you're ready to top off the truck give the box a good shake before you pour it in. I then pour it into a clear jar or container and let it sit for a minute or two. Check back and if it's cloudy or it appears that there is stuff floating around in it then it is no bueno. Should be clear like a glass of water

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you're ready to top off the truck give the box a good shake before you pour it in. I then pour it into a clear jar or container and let it sit for a minute or two. Check back and if it's cloudy or it appears that there is stuff floating around in it then it is no bueno. Should be clear like a glass of water
Also, it is wise to test it. Testers are cheap, and good insurance.

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
Didn't know testing was even an option. I'm using filling up at a local truck stop though. Nice and fresh stuff since it's very busy.

Reactions: Pinkmist
41 - 60 of 80 Posts