Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I'm new to the website and was wanting to get some input or really good advise on what to do as performance mods? Everyone I have asked gives me the same answer! I DON'T KNOW!!! what to tell you to get. But I have done somewhat of some research and have come up with the following mods or upgrades that I want to have done to my truck. What I want in return is what I said above is some input or HELP as to ...... yes or no or none of the above!? The truck that I currently own or have is a 2001 chevy 2500 D-MAX extended cab, auto tranny. which is the 6.6 LB7 diesel engine.

1. intake- I'm looking at the banks ram air intake or k&n FIPK systems? yes or no or is there something better?

2. Chip/mod- Looking at the edge juice w/ attitude CTS with the lvl6 hot unlock? yes or no or somthing else?

3. Exhaust- MBRP 5in straight pipe exhaust system w/ no muffler, and also a 4in turn down pipe from jones exhaust systems? yes or no....etc

4. BD-Power Turbo Boost Builder Wastegate???? yes or no or waste of money for what it does???

5.PPE Boost Increase Valve???? yes or no for waste of time and money???

Thats all I really want to do with my truck for right now, because it's my daily driver and i don't wont to go too over board with the modifications.

Also with the mods or upgrades that I have listed above should I get a transmission kit for the hp and torque increases? or will the stock transmission hold up?

:help

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
1- I have the Banks intake with SuperScoop....Happy with the results
2- No info on the edge juice.... I'm going with EFI Live (Tuned ECM)
3- I have a MBRP exhaust (4" with Corsa Muffler) - Good System
4- N/A for my LLY....No info
5- N/A for my LLY....No info

Quick question. Is your tranny stock? Not sure how long it will last with Edge Juice on Level 6..

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
4 inch exhaust, efi, lift pump, built trans=500rwhp+

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
1) banks makes a great intake but a bit pricey
2) I had the edge juice but I would looking into EFI live and a cts insight for gauges/dsp 5
3) exhaust is all preference and mbrp makes a great product
4) not necessary
5) ppe boost valve great investment for 25 bucks

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
1. Banks or S&B - I had banks on my 02 and liked it
2. Everyone will tell you EFI but it depends on what you plans are for the truck. It is amazing but not always needed
3. I loved my MBRP 5" w/no muffler
5. Cant go wrong for $25!!!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
save for injectors. welcome to the df
^Yep...Heard the edge juice boxes were junk and people hated them, might wanna consider just doing EFI instead. <3 my banks intake, but it is definitely on the more expensive side. If the injectors haven't been replaced I'd save for those because chances are they will go. If they have been changed then exhaust, intake, EFI, lift pump, built trans. In that order.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
I recommend more research. Looks like you haven't put much if any time searching the forum to read about these products. I recommend searching via the Google search on the top left corner and then going from there.

1. K&N is bad - filters are known to come apart on Turbo Engines.
2. Edge Juice w/a is a bad idea - archaic and poor tuning. Much better options out there.
3. MBRP makes a turndown exhaust too, just a thought.
4. Not familiar with the mod
5. Seems like a good investment.

Before you buy anything else I'd buy an AirDog2 165 to try and increase the life of your injectors as long as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for your advise sounds like i got alot of thinking to do.... but no one has posted or left a comment about after all the mods are installed is the stock transmission fine the way it is or should i get a transmission kit for just a precaution that nothing does happen?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
if you dont romp on it 24/7 your tranny will live but if you plan on getting more then 90hp over stock I would do a stage 4 suncoast build

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
1. get an s&b intake. its much cheaper
2. dont get an edge, look into efi live. if thats too confusing for you look into PPE programmers
3. MBRP makes everything you need/want
4. no
5. its worth the money i suppose

if you wanna run anything more than 100hp overstock for an extended time, you'll need a built transmission.

·
Registered
533 Posts
IIRC the stock airbox can actually run enough air for like 500+hp i have a k&n on mine came with truck and i have a different filter on now.

edge has a really bad repp on here ide look into a ppe if your looking for a canned tuner or efi if ya wanna take the truck farther in the future.

MBRP rocks i have 4" no muffler sounds AMAZING!!!

dont know what this is..

boost valve had one got rid of it. blew my turbo because of the tuning i had with this valve. with good tuning you wont need to trick your turbo.

Enjoy the DMAX =D rest of us have!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
IIRC the stock airbox can actually run enough air for like 500+hp i have a k&n on mine came with truck and i have a different filter on now.

edge has a really bad repp on here ide look into a ppe if your looking for a canned tuner or efi if ya wanna take the truck farther in the future.

MBRP rocks i have 4" no muffler sounds AMAZING!!!

dont know what this is..

boost valve had one got rid of it. blew my turbo because of the tuning i had with this valve. with good tuning you wont need to trick your turbo.

Enjoy the DMAX =D rest of us have!

Apparently the LB7 airbox is junk & rather constrictive and adding a CAI is something to be looked into for LB7 owners. I thought as you did until an LB7 owner called me out on it

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
This is only for 06 and newer..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts