Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered this forum today and I'm hoping to get some help in making a decision on upgrades. I have an '03 2500HD Duramax, crew cab, long bed, 4X4, with 285's on it, and I'm looking at an Edge Attitude for performance upgrades. It has a air raid intake and 4" exhaust already, so I'm hoping that's good enough in that respect. I'll be towing a 16000 lb. land train (5th wheel and boat) and I'd like to increase my MPG and performance. I've been told exhaust gas temps. are real important, but I have no idea what's considered too high and what's normal. Also, are there any other modules other than Edge that anyone has experience with, or recommends? Any information I can get would be appreciated.

·
Administrator / Web Servant
100 Posts
As far as performance modules go, I think the Edge is the best one for your rig. For better fuel economy and such, you might want to check out the FASS system at www.dieselpp.com. The Edge may give you better fuel economy as well. When you purchase the Edge, it will instruct you as to where to put the probe for your EGT's as well as the safe levels to stay at. It will also de-fuel if you start getting too hot.

Hope that helps,

Lem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lem,

Do you think the intake and exhaust upgrades are Ok, or will I need more? I'm basically clueless at this point. By the way, thanks so much for the info!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Durapower

I think that Edge module is a pretty good one. Edge has come a long way I think in the past couple of years. As far as EGT's are concerned, if you wanna lower them further try a better intercooler, like Banks or something. You already have the intake and exhaust and that helps lower them quite a bit.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
From what I have read, the FASS system just lightens your pocket. As far as chips are concerned, Edge is supposed to be one of the better ones out there. I have the TST Powermax, it was in the truck when I bought it. It does pretty good. As far as EGTs are concerned, the TST instructions say to put the cut-off at 1300F. If you get an Edge Juice with Attitude, you can set that too. Short bursts above that are ok, but you don't want to sustain over 1300 for long pulls. If you have a module that you can set the EGT cut-off and not have to worry about it because if you start to get across the temp that you set, the module will cut back power until it stays below the preset temp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm waiting for the Edge A2 and the new Banks PDA and decide between those two..right now leaning towards the A2 because it has navigation built in!

What brand exhaust did you get?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Edge Juice w/attitude and i also have the A2 (i am beta testing), and i LOVE IT! It does help quite a bit with fuel mileage and the power. Also when pulling its night and day difference, not to mention it totally wakes the truck up and makes it a "race truck". I have a 2002 3/4 HD, Ext Cab, Short bed 4x4 w/285 BFG's on it. You are already ahead with the Intake and Exhaust on the truck. The reason i like EDGE is...its a "plug and play" type module, no taking codes in and taking codes out and messing around that way, once you unplug it and plug your stock cables back in you have no more performance, which makes it nice to take down to the dealer.

If you end up purchasing the EDGE module, i recommend you get the Attitude or better yet the A2 which is going to be a bit more expensive but is way awesome!! I like the EDGE A2 better and it will be coming out soon! Plus it has the navigation built in however its going to be a bit pricey. I am pretty familar with EDGE Products and if you have any detailed questions about there products, get ahold of me, if i don't have the awnser i can find it for ya!

As far as the EGT's (gas temps) are concerned, EDGE has there alert preset at 1350, now if you reach that temp you are okay...however you don't want to be that high for long periods of time, i belive at 1400 degrees for 2-3 minutes will start to melt parts in the engine (don't quote me on that but i think i read it somewhere)

I haven't heard much about the FASS system, but it sounds like a nice set up.

Bigdog9663

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help with fuels

I went to DIESEL SECRET ENERGY and am using there formula for diesel....It works excellent in my 1981 toyota pickup 5 speed diesel....anyone have any ideas on how well it works in the chevy/isuzu diesels? Thank you. The oil is filtered to 2 micron.

Billy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts