Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 06 crew 6.6. I love the power that the motor has, but I am a little dissapointed in the milage. It is a stock motor and I was wondering what kinds of upgrades a person can do to improve milage. The pickup is a everyday driver and sometimes pull a trailer. Any help would be appercaited.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
start with the basics. get a 4 or 5 inch turbo back exhaust kit (mbrp is a great system) the next item is a chip or tune. whether you go programmer or "box" like edge.... or both :D Edge makes a good product, but the first round of parts is going to be $1000-1400 + install if you are not into bolt ons. NEXT is the air filter... this a huge battle on duramaxfourm.com... we all have our own opinions on what works best... stay away from an oiled filter with the LBZ... do you know if you have an LLY or LBZ??? what kind of mileage do you have now and what are you looking for?? performance or mileage only?? any other mods yet?? ie: rims, tires, lift, intake... ect..?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Info is great. Who makes the mbrp system. Will any of this void the factory warranty. My motor is the LBZ and is currenty getting 13 mpg. I would like the truck to have adequate performance so I can mess with the rice rockets a little. For mileage the upper teens would be nice. The only mod is the oversized 285 tires.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
MBRP makes MBRP exhaust.... that is the company.... get the 4 or 5 inch kit, if you don't plan on a turbo upgrade, the 4" is plenty.... get the Diablo if you want add power, gain mileage and correct your tire size so your speedo is correct... if you need more power, stack the edge at a later date AFTER you have TURBO-BACK exhaust! Start with that... let me know if i can help.... the rice rockets wont stand a chance :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the info. This is really helping me so I know what works and what does not. Does anyone have an opinion an the edge evolution, it was recommended to me by a friend, and I was just wondering what anyone else had expierenced.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The Edge evo is ok.... I like the Juice w/ attitude that i have, its nice because you can change your settings on the fly and you have in-cab monitoring for several different data points.... IE- EGT, Boost, Load %, Slippage, TC lockup.... its pretty sweet... and they fit perfectly in the overhead console pocket :D

if you want to monitor your Boost and EGT without installing gauges, this is a 20 minute install..... The hardest part ins drilling and tapping your thermocouple into your manifold, but it comes with really good instructions...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will any of this void factory warranty. I would like to do the turbo back exahust, but not if it void the warranty. I am thinking that I want to go total performance. What kind of performance can I expect with what you have said. If you have a rough estimate that would be helpful. Thanks

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have a 06 2500HD crew cab short bed stock the best i got was 18 on the highway,mods on the truck,stock intake,ppe programmer,5"magnaflow turbo bach exhuast.best fuel mileage is 23 on the open road running on 285-75R16 average speed was 70.also have a 05 lly dually(not stock)getting an average of 20 miles a gallon

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Exhaust should not cause any issues with warranty. The Edge Juice will. The diablo is a decent priced, easy to use and install downloader that can be much easier to sneak past the GM techs. Just remember to set it to stock before taking it in.
Also, the Diablo will reset your speedo for you. That is part of your mileage issue. Stock was what, 245? Big difference in tire size. I would guess you are off about 2 mpg.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Exhaust should not cause any issues with warranty. The Edge Juice will. The diablo is a decent priced, easy to use and install downloader that can be much easier to sneak past the GM techs. Just remember to set it to stock before taking it in.
Also, the Diablo will reset your speedo for you. That is part of your mileage issue. Stock was what, 245? Big difference in tire size. I would guess you are off about 2 mpg.
what are the "issues" with Edge on GM warranty??? I have never had a problem... just as any other "chip" you can remove before warranty work... i put a Edge Juice w/ attitude on day ONE and have not had any issues with the 8+ warranty claims i have turned in... I'm going to disagree on this one!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
When you stroll into the dealer with either a hole in your exhaust manifold or pyrometer wiring hanging around from a removed attitude, they know. Whether or not they say anything is solely up to them. It all has to do with the dealer and the failure.

Also, another dead giveaway known to cause issues is velcro for mounting the chips. If the tech wants to nail you, thats one of the first places they will look.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
When you stroll into the dealer with either a hole in your exhaust manifold or pyrometer wiring hanging around from a removed attitude, they know. Whether or not they say anything is solely up to them. It all has to do with the dealer and the failure.

Also, another dead giveaway known to cause issues is velcro for mounting the chips. If the tech wants to nail you, thats one of the first places they will look.
OK well FYI it's not against the warranty to use a Pyrometer... the GM warranty will not be "voided" anyway, but unless they can prove the effects of an "outside influence" they will not cover the issues that arise at the time... its not really a big deal... i mean think of this... we pay 40K+ for OUR trucks and i don't need some under-educated tech to blame a problem on MY performance upgrades. LIKE I SAID i have never had an issue and my truck has spent plenty of time in the shop... several GM shops i have been in even sell chips and exhaust.. if you find a tech smart enough not to blame the simple problems on a "bolt on" and find the true source, he will know that the mods wont hurt a thing.

the velcro on the truck left for a chip could never be grounds for claim dismissal. Thats about the silliest thing i have ever heard. Unless the factory setting on the ECM have been altered when they do a diagnostic scan, there is nothing that they can say about having a "chip" see the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for more details. The EDGE Juice W/ attitude will NOT "void" any more warranty than any other performance upgrade..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am very aware of the Magnuson/Moss act. However, if they decline your repair, what next? You have to hire a lawyer. They have some too. A few years later you may get recouped for your loss, maybe not. But you will still have to pay up front for the failure. Like I said, it really depends on the dealer. Some are worse than others. I am not saying they are all this bad, just that it has its possibility, and, yes, if they believe there has been a performance enhancing device on the truck they have the option to cancel your powertrain warranty.

BTW - The velcro is not crap - it happened to one of my customers. I am only sharing this because I have seen it happen.

No, there is nothing against using a pyrometer. However, when the juice/attitude is removed, and the hole is plugged or the wiring is still there, they know you don't have a pyrometer, but a chip with gauges. Alot of these dealers are smarter than you think. Its their business to know these things.

You are correct. The edge will not Void the warranty any more than any other upgrade. However, some upgrades are a little more covert than others. Thats all I am saying.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I just don't want a new user to be "scared" to try Edge when in my opinion, i think they make a great product and stand behind it as well. The attitude provides digital gauges without permanently mounting gauges somewhere in your truck... and can EASILY(10 min tops) be removed for service. I have had almost every brand of programmer and chip over the years and the edge is still my favorite. Just don't be afraid of the warranty issue, like i said before, the edge is no worse warranty wise than any of them. I have never had any issues.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
there are some performance parts that are dead giveways,most dealers will look the other way.i spoke with a guy is a diesel machanic at a dealership for the last 40 years and he said you can't put a pragrammer on and go undetected,some are easier to detect then others.like he said some will turn a blind eye others won't.so it doesn't matter on brand when it down to the warranty issue.just my two cents

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I just don't want a new user to be "scared" to try Edge when in my opinion, i think they make a great product and stand behind it as well.
I could not argee more. Edge builds a great product and has some of the best customer service. I sell tons of them. Zero issues on the Duramaxes.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
would edge stack with the ppe hot e.t.,the highest setting on the ppe is 300hp with 460tq,and how many hp does edge juice add.this is for the 05 lly.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
wow i don't know if i would try it.... hypertech or diablo + edge is ok with me.... but wow... the edge is 150hp...
the more the marrier,with this diesel addiction i have i found out you can never have enough horsey's:help .this fall i plan putting the truck in the shop and by spring i want to dyno out over 700rwhp:D like my daddy say's boy's will be boy's:rof

·
Registered
46 Posts
air filter

you mentioned above not to use a oil filed air filter with the LBZ .
Can you explain further ?
first Ive heard of this.
thanks.
fenmor

1 - 20 of 49 Posts