Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all of the goodies for my new unit came in yesterday. This morning, I start going through the wiring diagrams to get everything ready to install tomorrow. Now, I was under the assumption... to hook up the VSS wire from the Headunit, it must be tied into one of the light green wires behind the cluster. But after looking at the Pioneer harness and the RP5 harness... Now I am confused. The Rp5 harness has 3 wires bundled together labeled "Nav Outputs" Those wires are Parking Brake output, Vehicle Speed output, and Reverse output. Now where I get confused is... Does the RP5 emulate those signals? I thought the factory harness did not have a VSS wire in it, which is why all the info I have found says to tie into cluster harness. So can anyone help clarify that?

Also, I am having some confusion on the "Mute" function. I am understanding that this function is to cut the audio out when a phone call comes in or if the Nav is trying to give direction. Now the RP5 harness instructs there is a "Brown Wire loop" in the harness. It says if I want the "Mute" function supported, I need to cut the outer wire and then tie tie it into the headunits "Mute" wire. Now I am assuming they want the loop to be cut then tie the 3 wires together correct?

I mean none of this is rocket science and if there is a mistake, no big deal. Ill just cut it out and resolder, just rather do it right one time.

Oh and before I forget, just want to be sure, the "Parking brake" wire on the Pioneer Harness. Now I understand they want that wire connected to lock out some features when the vehicle is in motion. Now since I don't plan on watching a DVD while driving, I do want to be able to make correction on the nav without having to stop, set the brake, and then make changes. From what I read online, for the AVIC models, you don't need a switch, but can just ground that wire out... Atleast thats what I gather from the AVIC411 forums.

So if anyone can provide any clarity that would be great and when this all goes in tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to make a nice DIY, step by step for everyone.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
the module is reading the speed data off the vehicles data system and relaying it to the radio, use that wire. in fact use all the wires you can off that harness, it works great. VSS is also not required. its only purpose is to keep the GPS accurate while your driving through a tunnel. it literally has no other use.

the mute wire mutes the radio when theres an input to it, has nothing to do with the call. so if you had a mute button on the wheel or installed a push button on the dash, or the factory BT was being used for some reason and had a mute wire output you could use that to silence the radio. leave it disconnected. the mute wire does not change the way the radio works, it just tells the radio that something else in the car wants the drivers attention, so it turns the radio volume down.

in my state a parking brake bypass is against the law, so is installing one. sorry no help there. however it only locks out dvd playback, bt and nav work in motion on that unit. if you hook up VSS, you cant bypass the radio either as it will see the vehicle in motion on that wire.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome stuff. Yeah, I just came back in after grounding that wire out and you are right, it's picking up the signal from VSS according to the DVOM, so I am just going to live with it.

And thanks for clarification on the mute wire. When I was testing it out, I noticed the way I had it wired, everything worked seemlessly, so looks like everything is a go. Now I am just going through its specific functions to get things working correctly the way that I want. I didn't connect the Aux input jack or the USB Jack in since everything is working through BT. I probably wont install those items until I can fabricate a plate to cover one of the storage slots, so I can have a custom AUX and USB port. But we will see.

Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I forgot to add. The only thing that doesn't work properly is the dimming function. The unit is at full bright and doesn't dim with the wheel or with the lights coming on. So I'm looking through the wiring diagram again now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.