Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off my future goal is a 800hp DD truck on a budget built motor.

Alright lets talk pistons. I have heard good and bad about cut and coated LB7 pistons. I have heard good and bad about stock LB7 pistons.

So I was thinking :rof if the stock LB7 pistons are good with out being cut what about just coating them? Will it help at all to make the piston stronger and last longer or is it not worth it?

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
I have learned one thing. Never put a GT55 on a built motor that only has cut and coated LB7 stockers. It is amazing....for a grand total of 6 minutes until one of them crack. Jon also known as "Fingers" on DD has a design the has an oval piston. It gets rid of the weak points on the piston which allows for a massive amount of power.

Fingers Bowls

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Cutting the piston removes one weakness and basically creates another.....but they are better to higher HP it seems.

I am a firm believer in dont go cheap, but cheap and meeting a goal is 2 seperate things. I don't have the cash flow to reach 9s or even low 10s....lows 11s with possible breaking into the 10s would be awesome.

My first motor will have coated only.

·
Always in process
1,002 Posts
I have learned one thing. Never put a GT55 on a built motor that only has cut and coated LB7 stockers. It is amazing....for a grand total of 6 minutes until one of them crack. Jon also known as "Fingers" on DD has a design the has an oval piston. It gets rid of the weak points on the piston which allows for a massive amount of power.

Fingers Bowls
I'm going to be running S475/gt55 twins with stock delipped pistons we will see how it works out.
On edit: If the extra cash is there before it goes back together I've been folllowing fingers thread for a while and wouldn't mind giving his design a try.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A buddy of mine made 900+ with lb7 cut pistons.... Then one got a whole in it :D.... Just don't cheap out and talk to as many people as you can before you buy.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Keep as much compression as you can when de lipping, if your not making crazy power or boost no need to lower compression any IMO

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
I agree I would go with coated LB7 pistons they will be fine for 800hp...If you run forged pistons you'll be tearing down to do rings more then you would want with a DD...I'm debating on going with LB7's coated when it's time to tear into the motor again...I've heard of sets making it to 1000hp+ before cracking or getting holes.

Fingers design is interesting but it's still not readily available theres what 2 sets total now...It has potential but who knows how their gonna act over the long run yeah they work but for how long, how much HP, etc. until they have problems I would have to see proof of longevity before I could justify dropping the $$$ for them...just a budget thing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts