Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the ball joints and next is the Pitmen and idler arm does anybody have any how to's on this job/ I looked at it and it seems the cross member is in the way of it. Do you have to move the steering box? Any info would be nice.

·
Registered
492 Posts
U can do everything from underneath
Take the skid pan off
Undo the steering shaft
Undo the lines
Take the centerlink off
Take out the 3 bolts that hold the steering gear in
Remove the steering gear
U will need a pitman arm puller to pull the arm
Reassemble in reverse order
I think that's it

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the Pitman arm I bought a puller and cut the bolt and threaded it in from the opposite side of the puller and used a box wrench to turn the bolt. This allowed me to fit the puller on the pitman arm without unbolting the steering gear box. I have read that you can cause leaks in the lines on the steering box if you unbolt it and start moving it around. There is a thread here somewhere with pics of a modified puller. I will try to find it and post a link.....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
And every one I've done ya need to get an impact on there. I haven't broke one loose yet even with a breaker bar. Seems like the pitman arm puller would break before it pops lose without the impact

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my ball joints when I replace the centerlink and everything attached to it. Did you just remove the cv shaft to get at the lower ones? Did you end up replacing the whole upper arm or just the upper joints?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did mine with out a puller. I cut the side of the pitman arm that was facing the front of the truck with A cut off wheel to partially slice it open. But don't cut through. Then use an air hammer with a chisel bit to split it the rest of the way. Never unbolted the steering box either. You have to use what you can. I did the idler arm, inner tie rods and outer tie rods today. Then aligned it. Stabilizer coming on Monday.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just replaced inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, and idler pivot, all without any air tools. My pitman arm came off quite easy. I bout a $15 puller and a $1 grade 8 5/8x18x2 inch bolt and threaded it backwards for clearance. Keep in mind that the puller will be steady applying pressure to the pitman arm so if yours is stuck on there pretty good, just crank it with your box end wrench and let it sit a few seconds and keep cranking and itll pop right off. Also, there is no need to take your centerlink off to replace your pitman arm. It will have to be disconnected from your centerlink of course but no need for removal of the centerlink.

·
Registered
681 Posts
what brand did you replace them with? where did you purchase the new parts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i replaced with moog problem solver brand. I ordered all but the idler pivot from rockauto.com and got my pivot from dmaxstore. you'll have to look and see if your pitman arm is a 3 or 4 spline before u order it. the nut holding it on is a 1 5/16". just take it off and see how many splines it is.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i replaced with moog problem solver brand. I ordered all but the idler pivot from rockauto.com and got my pivot from dmaxstore. you'll have to look and see if your pitman arm is a 3 or 4 spline before u order it. the nut holding it on is a 1 5/16". just take it off and see how many splines it is.
Yes... many places fail to mention this. Haha. Anyways, be careful, I noticed after doing mine that now I've gained a power steering leak. Must have been a little rough on one of the seals in the box. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the upper ball joints with AC delco. My lowers were good I just went down to Auto Zone and rented the ball joint press and it was real easy to do. As for the idler and pit men arm I paid to have it done I thought it was out of my league when in dought let someone else do it.:neener

·
Registered
414 Posts
I cut a vertical slot in both of them about 3/4 way through then smacked them with a hammer and chisel. They will break the rest of the way through makes getting them off much easier may not even need a puller.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
cut it off. no puller, no dropping arms, used my 4" grinder with thin blade.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just did this today, I couldn't get the puller inbetween the arms and centerlink. I was able to take 1 tie rod off and the sway bar and just jimmyed the entire assembly out the front...centerlink, pitman arm attached to the gear box, idler arm attached to the bracket and 1 tie rod...good thing I was replacing everything...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd just pull the steering box it's easy to do. Just three bolts holding it up, two lines connected to it and one bolt going to the steering shaft.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I always pull the steering box bolts and lower it down to the frame/steering linkage. Then i put a pitman arm puller on with and air gun and use my other hand to run an air chisel with a blunt tip to beat the side of the exposed pitman arm. Doing both and it will pop right off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts