Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have my 2008 LMM tore apart and i took the fan shroud and cage thing off....do i need to put that cage piece back on??? It was a nightmare to get off and i dont know why i need it...any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
The fan shroud helps the fan pull the air through the radiator. Without it, you may overheat, and that can do engine damage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that the shroud does that but what about the separate piece that kinda looks like a cage....do you need that piece or is that for saftey?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i suppose your right. I just didnt want to fight with it to put it back on haha

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
i know that the shroud does that but what about the separate piece that kinda looks like a cage....do you need that piece or is that for saftey?

I ran my 06 without it for a while because I thought it was stupid when I had it off for my waterpump. And from my experience you will want it on there, and you really don't want to take the fan back off to put on in later... My .02

Autoguide

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Has anyone permanently removed the cage on the back of the fan shroud? I see it makes sense for safety purposes but I dont see how it would negatively impact the fans cooling. Im just imagining all of the room for changing belts, tensioners, and pulleys in the future. I am changing all pulleys, belt and tensioner this weekend and would prefer just leave the cage off.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Is this like a guard between the shroud and the engine that keeps you from reaching into the fan? If that's the case, none of the dmax trucks I've been under the hood of recently had one. They also didn't have any issues with cooling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is this like a guard between the shroud and the engine that keeps you from reaching into the fan? If that's the case, none of the dmax trucks I've been under the hood of recently had one. They also didn't have any issues with cooling.

That is exactly what it is. I figured more of a safety thing but just making sure. Searching the internet did not return a lot of feedback on this. Thanks

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
...I see it makes sense for safety purposes but I dont see how it would negatively impact the fans cooling. Im just imagining all of the room for changing belts, tensioners, and pulleys in the future....
Look closely, notice the shaped edges on the fins of the Engine mount cage. It's part of the vortex air flow aft of the cooling fan blades, enhancing the flow of hot engine bay air, across the engine, down the firewall and out under the truck.

It's not really that hard to remove, I can pull it and the fan in 5 minutes, once my tools are rolled out (....funny how water pump replacements will do that to ya :rofl ).
Engine mount cage, 3 bolts, and a 47mm spade wrench (LIS-43560 $17) to tap the fan loose. 1st, Remove the air box (held in with grommets on the underside), remove the air box shelf below it (2-pcs), remove the intake tube.

While there's more room to work with (and taking less time overall), you don't need to pull the fan for the new belt and pulley(s) maintenance, just the 3 cage bolts and move it forward a bit.

With the air box/shelf out of the way, Now you have room to access the tensioner and release the belt. As well as accessing that cage bolt on the passenger side...easy to remove but difficult to replace with everything in the way.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Had mine off for a while..., it went back on! anything over 95deg day, the A/C would turn hot if sitting at a stop light, due to the temp creep on the condenser. Re installed the round shroud and the A/C works fine. Never had an engine over temp without it, didn't even notice any temp gauge change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead again. I just replaced my water pump, belts and thermostats this weekend on my 08 lmm. The fan cage was a pain to get off and I decided to leave it off. The radiator shroud is on just wondering if the cage is necessary since the shroud seems to cover the fan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Let me know if your truck is fully warmed up engine and transmission. And you put it in park with the hood closed, and A/C on recirculation. Does your ac cycle off and quit blowing cold within 10 minutes or so. Please post your results to this test here. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead again. I just replaced my water pump, belts and thermostats this weekend on my 08 lmm. The fan cage was a pain to get off and I decided to leave it off. The radiator shroud is on just wondering if the cage is necessary since the shroud seems to cover the fan.
Read post #10..............then do what you will........
My last wore on the matter....................the guys who designed this know significantly more than we do

Reactions: ChevyTech77
1 - 14 of 14 Posts