Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 dmax, 120,000 miles. 5 inch exh, old school superchips, bully dog air box with a k&N filter, bully dog shift kit. The truck started randomly surging at idle. 400 miles into trip surging started when i would lift off the acc pedal and "coast" or was on pedal very lightly. Doesn't seem to act up under full power. Arrived in Memphis, got off the freeway and truck was surging alot. At idle, at 30 mph but still not under full power. Stopped for a bite to eat in Memphis, came outside and truck started fine but acc pedal was dead! would only idle! Had code PO651 and PO234. (PO234 overboost code has come and gone every now and then since i bought programmer) So I reset codes and she runs AWESOME the last 500 miles from memphis to Alabama coast! now the next day the surging is back (randomly!) at idle or when decellerating. Im randomly (not EVERY time) getting P2228 - baro sensor out of range - PO234 - over boost - PO651 boost sensor - APP sensor #2 - EGR out of range and PO237 - boost sensor voltage too low... The accel pedal has gone dead on me once down here with "engine power limited" displayed on DIC. I shut truck off, restarted, and pedal works fine! So far Ive cleaned MAF, K&N and replaced fuel filter. I'm stuck in an elderly RV park visiting my folks and have only basic hand tools (and duct tape!) Ive been told to ditch my programmer next but dont get why when the superchips tune has been installed for years with no issues. Also please verify 2003 = MAP not boost sensor? Truck came stock with no cat convert so no EGR then, right? SORRY for the long post but I'm stuck and I'm crappin canaries! :help

·
Registered
25 Posts
2003 dmax, 120,000 miles. 5 inch exh, old school superchips, bully dog air box with a k&N filter, bully dog shift kit. The truck started randomly surging at idle. 400 miles into trip surging started when i would lift off the acc pedal and "coast" or was on pedal very lightly. Doesn't seem to act up under full power. Arrived in Memphis, got off the freeway and truck was surging alot. At idle, at 30 mph but still not under full power. Stopped for a bite to eat in Memphis, came outside and truck started fine but acc pedal was dead! would only idle! Had code PO651 and PO234. (PO234 overboost code has come and gone every now and then since i bought programmer) So I reset codes and she runs AWESOME the last 500 miles from memphis to Alabama coast! now the next day the surging is back (randomly!) at idle or when decellerating. Im randomly (not EVERY time) getting P2228 - baro sensor out of range - PO234 - over boost - PO651 boost sensor - APP sensor #2 - EGR out of range and PO237 - boost sensor voltage too low... The accel pedal has gone dead on me once down here with "engine power limited" displayed on DIC. I shut truck off, restarted, and pedal works fine! So far Ive cleaned MAF, K&N and replaced fuel filter. I'm stuck in an elderly RV park visiting my folks and have only basic hand tools (and duct tape!) Ive been told to ditch my programmer next but dont get why when the superchips tune has been installed for years with no issues. Also please verify 2003 = MAP not boost sensor? Truck came stock with no cat convert so no EGR then, right? SORRY for the long post but I'm stuck and I'm crappin canaries! :help
I'm new to the site but not to diesels or the Duramax. Eliminate the tuner from your system. This should solve the problem. Disconnect the batteries before doing this, once the tuner is eliminated, wait 20 minutes, then connect batteries. This should do it, if so, ditch the tuner and either run stock or get a brand name.
Most of the posts that I have read seem to think that the Banks is one of the most reliable tuners.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how 2 threads got started.....thanks for the tip! I pulled the superchips tune out and returned to stock. drove 20 min south speeds between 35-60 mph, stoplights etc....ran great! Pulled into parking lot to double check air filter clamp (my nerves are shot). I closed the hood got in the truck, put in reverse and instantly got idle surge and 3 codes. PO651, PO237 and P2228....drove half way back with codes set, pulled into lot, reset codes and drove rest of the way back. didnt run any different....

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
is your K&N filter a dry or wet type....betting it is a wet and probably got grease/oil from the filter all over your MAF sensor.

They make a spray cleaner for it....you will just have to wait for it to dry before starting the truck back up....

Only other thing I can think of....when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
truck does it with no air filter as well. filter is dry. cleaned the MAF already. Replaced the 5 month old fuel filter again this morning. sucked superchips out and put stock tune back in....

·
Registered
8 Posts
the first thing I would be checking is the map sensor to see if you are boosting from the turbo correctly. key on it the boost sensor should read 13 psi on hard acceleration it should read around 33 psi. if this sensor is skewed it will cause you the surge. check baramoter sensor. the one under the big wire connectors. make sure it is plugged in. also make sure that the opening to the sensor is clear. key on it should read almost 5.00 volts on scan tool. your truck will go into low power mode (no acceleration) if you set an overboost code. since the maf sensor is the first line in your boost make sure all connections to the sensor and air intake are clean and tight. if everything looks good try unplugging maf sensor and run truck to see if surgeing goes away. I have replaced a lot of maf sensors because they fall out of range. hope this helps

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bump ttt.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is where i get hosed....i have my superchips programmer and some hand tools.....my obd2 is 1500 miles away at home! :eek: with all these boost sensor codes im tempted to go buy a new MAP sensor, but dont wanna throw $ at it for nothing...guy at parts store offered me 3 different sensors: a MAP sensor, Map sensor with turbo/turbo pressure sensor and a fuel vapor / vent pressure sensor. Oh what to do????

:help

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The goofy part is the surge isnt ALL the time...Sometimes i get the codes with no surge...sometimes I get the surge with no codes....last night it surged once when it set the codes and then no surge at all when I drove it 10 minutes. reset codes drove another 10 min and still no surge....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep reading about idle surge and the FPR. If thats my problem Im not afraid to make the long journey home because it sounds like many of you have driven 100k with a bad FPR. My question is this: Will a bad FPR cause the codes I'm getting???????

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i have had a bad fuel pressure regulator for the last 5300 miles

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It sounds like you probably have two different problems. The surge at idle is usually caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator. You'll need quite an array of tools to get to it, it's on the back of the cp3 pump, which is in the valley of the motor. The overboost, I'm not sure whats going on with that if you cleaned your MAF sensor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on these codes and symptoms, and the fact that I only have a code reader with me, Im 1500 miles from home (and would like to make it back says the wife!)....and Id rather blow up a stealership than bring my truck to them...Where would you guys start throwin your money??

·
Registered
687 Posts
Electrical tape and look for frayed/shorted wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
your map sensor would be the same as a barometer sensor. the turbo boost sensor is located right before the intake manifold in the tube assy. if the fpr is bad most of the time it just surges at idle, like the a/c is kicking on and off, do you have any smoke when it surges and if so what color

·
Registered
8 Posts
p0651 5-volt reference to the boost sensor, app sensor 2, baro sensor, a/c pressure sensor, out of tolerance. key on engine off, check for 4.8-5.2 volts at the baro sensor. the one under the big connectors on driver side take reading from the wht/blk wire to the ground on the battery. wiggle wires when doing this. if loss then repair wire. this 5 volt reference goes thru the big connector on top of the engine. since you do not have an app code it may be in that connector. if voltage is lower than 4.8 and steady disconnect the boost sensor and see if it goes up to the required voltage

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not a tech, when was last fuel filter was changed, with out codes those simtoms could be pluged filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No smoke at idle no smoke at all hardly ever a tiny biy if im really roddin on her...Fuel filter done yesterday...fresh full tank with strong deesel kleen mix...Today I drove to Theodore, AL and was able to borrow a Mac TaskMaster from the owner of the RV park my folks are at. Thanks Johnny @ Johnny's RV park and RV's in Foley, AL!! Anyways...Im not a diesel mechanic but maybe I can figure something out. Thanks diesel tech for your tips! I printed your posts (thanx mom) and will use them when I get this Mac fired up. I just finished pulling the batteries and thier trays, cleaned intake duct, boost sensor (the electrical plug in one and the one that threads in to the intake_ inspected and cleaned them) cleaned the maf again, pulled the ecm and ecu and inspected wiring. pulled fuse block under the hood and cleaned/inspected. did find one thin orange wire that had a small nick in the insulation and taped it up. didnt see where it could have arced though as everything around it was wrapped ok or non conductive plastic. unplugged all main wiring plugs on top of the motor and inspected. followed and traced boost sensor wiring and looks ok. layed under truck around motor and trans looking for wiring issues. Im gonna go fire it up and drive it....P.S... been reading and resetting codes the last couple days...PO651 and PO237 are there anytime a light sets. P2228 about every other time a code sets. PO234 hasnt set since I got off the interstate and arrived here last mon morning...I dont think I have a FPR issue as the surging isnt all the time, only once in awhile? Last night seemed like light would stay off until ignition had been cycled 3 times? Almost time to drive home....

·
Registered
97 Posts
the first thing I would be checking is the map sensor to see if you are boosting from the turbo correctly. key on it the boost sensor should read 13 psi on hard acceleration it should read around 33 psi. if this sensor is skewed it will cause you the surge. check baramoter sensor. the one under the big wire connectors. make sure it is plugged in. also make sure that the opening to the sensor is clear. key on it should read almost 5.00 volts on scan tool. your truck will go into low power mode (no acceleration) if you set an overboost code. since the maf sensor is the first line in your boost make sure all connections to the sensor and air intake are clean and tight. if everything looks good try unplugging maf sensor and run truck to see if surgeing goes away. I have replaced a lot of maf sensors because they fall out of range. hope this helps
Really nice post... Where is that baro again?... say on a 05 3500...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts